The Super-Super-Duper Rugby Union thread!

Up Chuck

• Moderators

I think it's a case of England retired Tindall for him. Like we did for Stephen Jones then realised there's only one half decent outside half in Wales at international level so had to call him up to the squad.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Who d'you reckon won't cut it?

Dowson's great at club level but I don't see him prospering for England. He should have been given a chance a few years ago. Pretty much the same for Strettle (who has been given half chances, not helped by injuries). I don't see much in Botha. Also, we've got plenty of 'good' props, but none that make me think they're gonna nail down spots in the team.

I thought Strettle looked like he had a bit of spark on Saturday. He'll do better with a more dangerous attacker like Tuilagi playing inside him - they'll both draw tacklers and create space for each other. With those two on form we'll put plenty of tries past lesser teams, and maybe a few past some good ones, too. Dowson I kind of agree with. I want to see a bit more of him, but I think Morgan's the more exciting prospect, and with Waldrom getting ever better and Narraway on the fringes too, Dowson's chances do look limited. I'm not a huge fan of Botha and I'm kind of hoping Parling can step up and claim a place. I'd definitely be starting Lawes and Palmer with Parling on the bench when everyone's fit. As for the props, I think while Cole still has a lot of maturing to do at international level, he's pretty much cemented his place now. I'm hoping Corbisiero and Stevens will spur each other on a but - Stevens certainly looked much better off the bench last weekend than he did for the whole World Cup.

On the subject of Tindall, nothing's been officially said about it by any party, but yeah, his international career's over. I heard he was playing FLY HALF for Gloucester at the weekend, which sounds like a recipe for utter tedium.

In England fitness news, Flood and Tuilagi are both starting for Tigers on Saturday, so expect to see them in the squad for the Wales match.

• Paid Members

Sigh. Another week, another utterly unconvincing England win. You can only blame so much of that on the conditions. Ben Foden cost us both of those tries by trying to overcompensate for his first mistake. Youngs wasn't on form at all, and we looked so much sharper when Dickson and Morgan came on. Those were both changes that should've been made in advance. I'm shocked that Brown didn't get a run-out at some point. Farrell was once again cool-headed and mature. He's going to be absolutely vital for the rest of the tournament.

Castro going down is bad news for Tigers, as well. Looks like our ridiculous injury streak is going for the whole season.

It wasn't convincing, but they are a young team and a new coach, and they visibly improved over the game, and over last week as well. Lee Dickson looked like he should be in the starting line-up, and Farrell was great, not just in the kicking but throughout the game. He looked so collected when kicking in difficult conditions, that's a great sign.

Guscott was a bit over the top though.

• Paid Members

It is absolutely ludicrous. That stadium's, what, 14 years old? It's an utter embarrassment for France. Speaking of embarrassments, yeah, the BBC hyperbole for England has been especially grating this year.

Tigers got beaten at Exeter today with Flood and Tuilagi in the starting lineup. Flood apparently had a rotten game (I listened to the first half on the radio then followed the rest on Twitter). Expect to see him on the bench against Wales, if at all. Hopefully both of them can be more useful in the white shirt.

More on the "it wasn't a yellow" nonsense that should put that argument to bed once and for all... courtesy of http://www.irishrugby.ie/ireland/25598.php

The International Rugby Board and Six Nations have backed referee Wayne Barnes over the penalty decision that led to Ireland's Stephen Ferris being yellow carded during the RBS 6 Nations match between Ireland and Wales at the Aviva Stadium last Sunday.

While an Independent Six Nations disciplinary panel did not ultimately uphold the citing, the IRB's match officials performance review endorsed Wayne Barnes' decision to award a penalty. On first viewing the panel could understand exactly how the match referee came to his decision. In dismissing the citing no criticism of the referee's on field decision should be taken or inferred.

It was only after careful and prolonged analysis of the dynamics of the contact, including slow motion and step by step viewing, that the committee was able to see the strength of the submissions made in favour of Stephen Ferris.

All match officials are selected for International competition on merit. Performances are reviewed on an ongoing basis and taken into consideration when appointments are made for future international competitions.

Neither organisation will make any further comment on this matter.

• Moderators
So, bit of a farce this evening then.

The French can blow all that money to poach the best players and yet can't afford to keep their pitch in a suitable condition to play on.

It's farcical that a stadium that young does not have undersoil heating. Personally I'd have thought it a pre-requisite in order to hold Tier One rugby internationals. It fucking should be.

• Paid Members

Hogg and Laidlaw were both great for Scotland. Loved the sneaky little finish on the try from Laidlaw. It's quite fitting that Parks' successor scores Scotland's first try in ages in the first match after Parks' retirement.

But yeah, all about Wales in the end. Even if North is out for a while, Halfpenny showed he's just as big a threat on the wing. Really really really not looking forward to England/Wales. We could be up for an absolute twatting.

EDIT: Martin Castrogiovanni broke a rib against England and will miss the rest of the tournament.

But yeah, all about Wales in the end. Even if North is out for a while, Halfpenny showed he's just as big a threat on the wing. Really really really not looking forward to England/Wales. We could be up for an absolute twatting.

I don't think so. What I can see happening is England trying to stifle the game, if they can do that successfully then the game is anyone's to pinch. The difference in the 2nd half of the game today was Scotland's ill discipline. England, under new management, are trying to be squeaky clean in that regard.

North may be out, Roberts is walking wounded, Hook will likely be playing and is a soft-try-giving liability.

Based on form, Wales ought to be favourites, although given the match is that HQ that will be an utterly alien feeling.

My prediction is England to sneak it by 3 points. I hope I'm wrong but that is my gut feeling.

EDIT

Romain Poite was UTTERLY FUCKING HOPELESS today. He denied Scotland a valid (but thankfully not match-winning) try, but made good on this by making an absolute mockery of the breakdown in Scotland's favour. Blue players flying in off their feet from all angles, ding, Scotland penalty. Lone Scottish player not releasing, two Welsh players on their feet, and duly waits for Scottish support to arrive. Instances like that happened repeatedly and it was farcical.

Some people seem to have set the bar for England so low that they can't help but perform above expectations. It's like they've bought the hype that the England at the World Cup was the WORST ENGLAND TEAM EVER and this team is 100% new players with about 7 caps between them, so scraping a win against Italy is something to be applauded.

• Paid Members

France/Ireland has been set for 3pm GMT on Sunday 4th March. That means both teams will be playing 4 weeks in a row, giving England and Wales a huge opportunity to claim a big scalp from a tired side on the final day!

Archived