EA Hockey games on the Mega Drive

PowerButchi

• Moderators

I was thinking while listening to the music off EA Hockey this morning, and then banging some of the games on my Mega Drive emulator, that this is the best sports series on any platform for me. Simple, fun, looked great, sounded really fucking fanastic, and played like a dream with full licenses for the teams and players.

I agree with this gentleman's musical tribute to NHL '94 for example - Click Me.

When you scored a hat trick, the crowd would throw their caps onto the ice. You could shatter the glass with the puck, or hit someone hard running into them and they'd fall down and A POOL OF BLOOD WOULD BLEED FROM THEIR HEAD! The fighting on it was fucking super duper, and what strategy to use in the fight? Face punches? Body punches? Or when facing Chris Nilan of the Montreal Canadiens not trying to fight back at all and just letting the computer give you the kicking you knew were going to take anyway? It does help that it comes from a time when I knew who more hockey players were, but just look at the stars on the game!

Gretsky,

Hull,

MacInnis,

Roenick,

Lindros,

Lemieux,

Jagr,

Nolan,

Roy,

And Many Many More...

I really think it's the best sports series I've ever played. The challenge of going as the Nordiques and trying to beat the Canadiens in the playoffs was a stupendously enjoyable one. Love, love, love this game. Everything about the games is absolutely perfect. Who else is a fan of this quality series?

Have you ever played the Sega Mega-CD hockey games? The actual game play is comparable to that of the Megadrive counterparts but the sound is amazing (obviously owing to the CD format). The little organ samples that occur throughout the matches sound gorgeous.

Thanks for reminding me about hockey games.

• Moderators

I thought Claude and Mario Lemieux was pronounced "Lem-ee-Oh" when I was about 8.

The music on NHLPA '94 was amazing though. It even had Brass Bonanza on it.

The

Brass Bonanza is great enough anyway (And is going to be either my funeral song, or the song when I win the WCW world title at Wrestlemania, whichever comes first) but in Genesis form it's top of the range.

My youtube travels also led me to

song for the Quebec Nordiques. It defines so shit it's super duper. It sounds like a really poor Swiss late 80's eurovision effort. 10/10.

I had the double edition of the first EA Hockey which came with Madden.

I spent more hours than I would like to admit on it. The soundtrack was catchy as fuck as well.

That's the one i had, "EA Double Header" or something like that. I never got the hang of Madden as a kid but i loved the EA Aussie Rugby game.

Love EA Hockey, but moved on to the Mutant League Series later on as they were all kinds of awesome and Bones Jackson is a god amongst players.

Face Off got a pretty decent MD conversion and Mario Lemieux's Hockey wasnt all bad either

I had the double edition of the first EA Hockey which came with Madden.

I spent more hours than I would like to admit on it. The soundtrack was catchy as fuck as well.

That's the one i had, "EA Double Header" or something like that. I never got the hang of Madden as a kid but i loved the EA Aussie Rugby game.

Good memory, that was what it was called!

Archived