Here's a question...

Bluetonic

Wrestling TV show   

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Would you watch a weekly wrestling debate show on the TV (if you had a specific Freeview box) or online? If so, what would you want to see on it? I work at a new sports TV channel, and I currently produce a weekly MMA/boxing show, the latest episode of which is here:

So, would you watch with a similar format (fans/journalists/wrestlers) coming on to talk with a presenter, and with a bit of fun, competitions, debates etc?

If so, any ideas for other things you would like to see on it? This idea is very much in its infancy, so the more feedback the better!

Yes, if:

1. It was heavily based on WWE and TNA content, with only tolerably small sections on the minor league groups.

2. The presenters weren't the sort of bells that are often found doing wrestling radio shows and podcasts. If it was the same "Cena sucks, Cody should beat Orton clean" shite that can be found all over Youtube and the web, it wouldn't be worth tuning in for. Basically, the presenters and general tone should be about halfway between the "this is fake shit, remember Giant Haystacks and Big Daddy" kids TV presenters when they had a wrestler on, and the "our sport is serious business" types.

3. It had guests befitting point 1 and point 2. ie not BritWres "stars" that nobody's heard of.

Yes, if:

1. It was heavily based on WWE and TNA content, with only tolerably small sections on the minor league groups.

2. The presenters weren't the sort of bells that are often found doing wrestling radio shows and podcasts. If it was the same "Cena sucks, Cody should beat Orton clean" shite that can be found all over Youtube and the web, it wouldn't be worth tuning in for. Basically, the presenters and general tone should be about halfway between the "this is fake shit, remember Giant Haystacks and Big Daddy" kids TV presenters when they had a wrestler on, and the "our sport is serious business" types.

3. It had guests befitting point 1 and point 2. ie not BritWres "stars" that nobody's heard of.

I suppose the biggest question is would you watch people talk about WWE without seeing footage?

I hadn't thought of that. Would there be no chance of clearing WWE or TNA footage, with them being on rival channels? If not, then yeah, it'd be a hard sell, I suppose. Clips give context and all that. How do you manage to do an MMA and boxing show though?

Yeah it can be tough. The main sell of the show is interactivity - in that anyone in the world with a webcam and a computer can get involved.

• Paid Members

In all honesty, as big a wrestling fan as I am, I probably wouldn't bother to watch something like that. I don't pay attention to any wrestling journalists any more, and I can come on here any time of the day to join in debates and discussions with other fans. The only thing that would pique my interest would be if you had proper wrestlers in as guests. I'm talking about guys with a bit of status and reputation in the business (in other words, guys that have worked for the major leagues), not just BritWres workers.

Mainly, I'd share Pitcos' concern that most guests would be embarrassing smart-mark types (whether fans or journos) that are all too eager to bash anything that doesn't conform with their own little perspective of the world of wrestling. Fin Martin types.

I don't think access to WWE or TNA footage would be too much of an issue, a discussion show is all about the quality of the guests. Unfortunately in the wrestling business, I would guess that credible and entertaining pundits are pretty hard to come by.

Yes, if:

This. If it was the sort of discussion we have around here, about how great Mark Henry's been or why Sin Cara's been such a disappointment, and highlighting the absurdity of our great sport, then I would probably watch. Myself and Butch should present, basically.

I hadn't thought of that. Would there be no chance of clearing WWE or TNA footage, with them being on rival channels? If not, then yeah, it'd be a hard sell, I suppose. Clips give context and all that. How do you manage to do an MMA and boxing show though?

They're not anymore. Well, not really. Challenge is a Sky channel now. The bigger issue is that the WWE aren't stupid enough to want to give their footage to a show like this. TNA probably are but their deal probably stops it. Which is probably a good thing for them.

The main sell of the show is interactivity - in that anyone in the world with a webcam and a computer can get involved.

Heh. You've blown it. That's only going to appeal to netmarks who believe their opinions matter (yes, I'm including me in that) and half of them can probably do this on YouTube anyway, which is more interactive than anything you can do on TV and with less restrictions. You're selling a less immediate version of what people already do. You'd really have to try and pretend it was the expert show to try and differentiate it. Which'll have its own considerable problems.

I wouldn't watch it. And if I'm honest I wouldn't expect anything like this to be successful. Although that might depend on what your targets for it are, which since you know what you're doing you're not going to be stupid enough to mention on an internet forum. Having said that if you go through with it I wish you the best.

They're not anymore. Well, not really. Challenge is a Sky channel now.

I meant rival channels to this potential show, with it being on a sports channel that's not Sky Sports...

Archived