Anthony Howells Tape Scam?

nfc90210

Does Mo still post here? I remember when he distributed the Observer about how someone was collecting the details of all the people who had been scammed by Howells, in order to try and do something about it. No idea what happened in the end mind.

Almost certain he now posts as LEGIT.

I've absolutely no idea if you're being serious but LEGIT certainly isn't Mo Chatra.

• Paid Members

Only thing I know for sure about Anthony Howells is that he got done by his local Trading Standards for trademark infringement (not copyright) and was forced to watch as they literally burned his master copy of Best of the Hollywood Blondes.

Only thing I know for sure about Anthony Howells is that he got done by his local Trading Standards for trademark infringement (not copyright) and was forced to watch as they literally burned his master copy of Best of the Hollywood Blondes.

:cool:

Why did he get done by trademark infringement and not copyright?

I believe there was a giant thread about SST/Mark Petar at UKFF some years ago. He seriously p****d some people off.

Don't know but he worked closely with FWA, in the same way that ECW and RF worked with each other. Something happened like, at the first Frontiers Of Honor show he was told not to sell ROH because Gabe was there and he got caught selling bootleg ROH tapes under the table.

Also used to buy alot of stuff from Socko Tapes. Guy had a fantastic collection.

haha I was Socko Tapes! DVD/VCD got the best of my VHS collection and I ended up selling masters on here and skipping the rest. Turned out to be a good part time job at 15 years old!

• Paid Members

Not 100% sure, but I guess it was easier to crack down on as you didn't have to order a tape off him to prove he was breaking the law. He got done because he was using "WWF" and "WCW" to market the tapes despite not having a license to do so, which meant Trading Standards could take the case, whereas copyright infringement would involve WWF or WCW taking him to court.

Not 100% sure, but I guess it was easier to crack down on as you didn't have to order a tape off him to prove he was breaking the law. He got done because he was using "WWF" and "WCW" to market the tapes despite not having a license to do so, which meant Trading Standards could take the case, whereas copyright infringement would involve WWF or WCW taking him to court.

Sounds like a good explanation.

• Paid Members
Does anybody know whatever happened to Mark Petar of SST fame? At the time of my tape trading days (2000 - 2002) he was the big fish here in the UK. As far as I know, he just wanted to concentrate on his real job and simply stopped trading. But he always had massive lines at table stands across UK shows so he must have missed out on quite a bit of cash. Does anybody know what became of the man after 2002?

He stopped doing the FWA shows in mid-2003, then stopped trading altogether around the same time. 'Shooting Star Video', who were the absolute worst video trader(s) I've ever had the misfortune of coming across, starting doing the FWA stalls for a few months, before Outcast Video (superb trader) took over.

Incidentally, Mark Petar and his family were sat front row at the Pro Wrestling NOAH event in Broxbourne this past May, whcih is the first I've seen of him at a wrestling show since 2003. I believe he lives in Cheshunt, which is the next town down, and might even have been the promoter/money man behind some of FWA's early Broxbourne events in 2001-2001.

• Paid Members
He stopped doing the FWA shows in mid-2003, then stopped trading altogether around the same time. 'Shooting Star Video', who were the absolute worst video trader(s) I've ever had the misfortune of coming across, starting doing the FWA stalls for a few months, before Outcast Video (superb trader) took over.

I remember that thread here at the time about Strong Style Tapes / Mark Petar. Forum opinion was evenly divided IIRC. Personally, I never had a problem with the guy. I ordered dozens of tapes off of him, and even with me living in Ireland at the time, they always arrived in 2 - 3 days. The covers he made were really great too, wish there were still some pics of them floating about the net. In one of his last updates, he announced his missus was up the duff. Combined with the FWA/ROH fiasco, I'm not surprised he called it a day.

Good call on Outcast Video too. Best trader I ever dealt with without a doubt. Such a shame some little snitch grassed them up, which turned out to be Dave Pick in the end (I think, I'm open to correction on that one).

Is it odd that despite not dealing with the above traders in several years, I can still remember the names and addresses to send my money orders to?

I remember reading a few of the more heated posts about SST & Petar myself at the time and way after but can't say I ever had anything other than a decent service from the guy, despite some of the tapes generally looking a bit dodgy. That copy of Wrestlepalooza and some of the Cactus Jack in ECW video quality still haunt me, for example. I did stop buying regularly before the ROH/FWA stuff went into full gear though which seemed to be when most people started having trouble with him.

I've still got an order form from him somewhere with how many loyalty points i've got. Can't wait to spend those

Good call on Outcast Video too. Best trader I ever dealt with without a doubt. Such a shame some little snitch grassed them up, which turned out to be Dave Pick in the end (I think, I'm open to correction on that one).

Never knew that is why Outcast Video called it a day. Do you have any more specifics? I assumed that it had just gotten to the stage (like Rob Butcher and Glen Radford before) where they had had enough and decided to quit. I remember that they started to sell original retail masters at one point, but can't remember whether that was before or after they stopped dealing in bootlegs. I picked up quite a lot of stuff when they sold off all their stock, although it was clear that they got an awful lot of their Japan and Lucha from puroDVD, and then undercut his prices. Anyway, yeah, Outcast were good, quick, reliable guys.

Archived