Anthony Howells Tape Scam?

nfc90210

• Paid Members

I posted a rambling answer in the Off-Topic thread about finding the UKFF, and it got me thinking about Anthony Howells.

Anthony Howells is a name that probably means nothing to a lot of people on here. That will be especially true of the the younger folks. This all happened a long time ago.

Anthony Howells was a tape trader who, for a while, was also the UK distributor of the Wrestling Observer. He was the distributor just before Mo Chatra took over. I think Mo took over as distributor sometime in 1998. So we are talking mid to late 90's. Anyway, shortly after he stopped being Meltzer's UK distributor Anthony decided that he was getting out of the tape trading business.

He sent out a list where he stated that he was selling his master tapes on the cheap. I can't recall the price. I think it was something like

• Paid Members
Does Mo still post here? I remember when he distributed the Observer about how someone was collecting the details of all the people who had been scammed by Howells, in order to try and do something about it. No idea what happened in the end mind.

Almost certain he now posts as LEGIT.

I remember getting some videos from him with really crap picture quality. Some of his "master" tapes must have been at least 10th generation copies :omg:

I used to buy stuff off him quite regularly back when he also distributed the Wrestling Observer.

For the vast majority of the time I dealt with him I never had any issues with him. Everything just seems to go off a cliff with him in a really short space of time. From what I can recall I had an order with him that took ages to arrive (but did turn up in the end), he then disappeared for a while (which, I think, was when Mo Chatra took over the observer side of things). He then started sending out the previously mentioned list of dirt-cheap tapes (I want to say that there was a covering letter with the list saying that he was sorry for the previous poor service & was trading again as he needed money to go towards a wedding but I could be wrong). Think I lost around

I remember getting some videos from him with really crap picture quality. Some of his "master" tapes must have been at least 10th generation copies :omg:

I used to buy stuff off him quite regularly back when he also distributed the Wrestling Observer.

For the vast majority of the time I dealt with him I never had any issues with him. Everything just seems to go off a cliff with him in a really short space of time. From what I can recall I had an order with him that took ages to arrive (but did turn up in the end), he then disappeared for a while (which, I think, was when Mo Chatra took over the observer side of things). He then started sending out the previously mentioned list of dirt-cheap tapes (I want to say that there was a covering letter with the list saying that he was sorry for the previous poor service & was trading again as he needed money to go towards a wedding but I could be wrong). Think I lost around

*I believe Khemical is still putting together his case for the small claims court.

*(not true)

If we had a Like button on here, that would get Liked. He's gone very quiet on that hasn't he?

• Paid Members
*I believe Khemical is still putting together his case for the small claims court.

*(not true)

If we had a Like button on here, that would get Liked. He's gone very quiet on that hasn't he?

He has, but I'd like to see him broaden his horizons in that regard.

Does anybody know whatever happened to Mark Petar of SST fame? At the time of my tape trading days (2000 - 2002) he was the big fish here in the UK. As far as I know, he just wanted to concentrate on his real job and simply stopped trading. But he always had massive lines at table stands across UK shows so he must have missed out on quite a bit of cash. Does anybody know what became of the man after 2002?

Don't know but he worked closely with FWA, in the same way that ECW and RF worked with each other. Something happened like, at the first Frontiers Of Honor show he was told not to sell ROH because Gabe was there and he got caught selling bootleg ROH tapes under the table.

Also used to buy alot of stuff from Socko Tapes. Guy had a fantastic collection.

• Paid Members

Archived