What a [edit: good person] this bloke is

IANdrewDiceClay

His conquering of the X Division was.... OK. I have to say I got a good laugh when Sting booked his rematch vs Kendrick to be an Ultimate X match and he screamed.

Generally I agree that he's mostly annoying. He does play his character (retarded as it is) with conviction, and he's had some flashes, most notably when he cut a promo on Matt Morgan and then pounded his fist in to thumb tacks.

But yeah, I haven't managed to see Turning Point, but I will do what I can to see that backstage segment with Stiener talking about Abyss's girlfriend being fat! And I agree that the wrong man went over.

Bully Ray deserves better than this as well. He's been tearing it up as a bully and has knocked himself in to fantastic shape.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Steiner and Bully Ray promo was brilliant, I also liked that Steiner could be heard telling a fan to "Go F**K yourself on the way to the ring and threw in a Frankensteiner because the crowd were chanting for it. I also thought Kid Kash worked stiff as hell on Jessie Sorensen

Apart from that the PPV was poor, Steiner and Bully Ray stole the show along with Austin Aries

• Paid Members
I think the show would have had a much more big time feel if they hyped Jeff Hardy vs Jeff Jarrett as a "Jeff VS Jeff" Match, some things are better than world titles.

Jeff VS Jeff, who is the best Jeff?

Loser can no longer call himself "Jeff". Or a Deed Poll on a Pole match, where the winner gets to change the loser's name!

• Paid Members
I think the show would have had a much more big time feel if they hyped Jeff Hardy vs Jeff Jarrett as a "Jeff VS Jeff" Match, some things are better than world titles.

Loser can no longer call himself "Jeff". Or a Deed Poll on a Pole match, where the winner gets to change the loser's name!

Fuck yeah! I love it! Jeff VS Jeff, there can be only one Jeff!

The match would obviously end in a no-contest when Jeff Stelling comes out and destroys both men, giving Hardy a spear through the Countdown Conundrum board and hitting Jarrett over the head with a videprinter.

I'm always late to the party with TNA discussion these days because I refuse to go into the Impact spoiler thread, but the main thing I want to add to this is that Bobby Roode really looks like a fucking star these days. His build, mannerisms and overall look remind me a lot of Triple H during his initial main event push, and it suits his current gimmick far more than it did the everyman character, IMO. He'll never be a star on that level, because both companies are incapable of building those kind of stars these days, but I'm just going to sit back and enjoy this push while it lasts because he really is fucking brilliant.

The match would obviously end in a no-contest when Jeff Stelling comes out and destroys both men, giving Hardy a spear through the Countdown Conundrum board and hitting Jarrett over the head with a videprinter.

So long as he's accompanied by Chris Kamara shouting "JUST STUNNING JEFF!!" I'm all for that!

Should be worth noting, this wasnt intended to be a Turning Point thread. Just to say how shit Abyss was

Good because I haven't seen the show (or any post-Monday Night War TNA other than a bit to research for the Fantasy Booking thread) but this seems like the right thread to ask this: Is Abyss the worst fat big man ever?

In fairness, I think he showed the potential to get good at one point but the last few times I've seen him he actually seemed to have gotten worse.

I can think of several big guys who were just tall (Giant Silva, El Gigante, etc.) who you could make a case for being worse. But as far as superheavyweight FAT MAN types who had serious runs with major companies I'm struggling. I mean that more in terms of playing the role of a big man rather than number of good matches, since I won't deny Abyss has had some good matches I've seen (and probably a bunch that I haven't) but I also think he was given more chances to have good matches than some of those other guys due to his position in the company, e.g. someone like Bastion Booger who I thought was a good worker wasn't going to be given the chance to go out and steal the show at WrestleMania X because he was never placed in a showcase match on a big card like during his WWF run even if I'd rate him as a better worker whereas Abyss has been placed in that position a bunch of times.

What about the other 7 years before Hogan and Bischoff showed up? I dont even think Hogan's got anything to do with pushing Abyss. The past history suggests he doesn't, because Abyss has always been pushed heavily. The only reason Bischoff and Hogan latched onto him when they first showed up was because he has power and they wanted a powerful backup when they talked turkey with the higher ups. Abyss has more stroke than 90% of the locker room. He's TNA's Triple H.

Haven't really followed all the TNA backstage drama since Cornette got sacked but that's just put me off getting back into TNA. :(

He's going to be in a good spot forever isn't he?

I'm always late to the party with TNA discussion these days because I refuse to go into the Impact spoiler thread, but the main thing I want to add to this is that Bobby Roode really looks like a fucking star these days. His build, mannerisms and overall look remind me a lot of Triple H during his initial main event push, and it suits his current gimmick far more than it did the everyman character, IMO. He'll never be a star on that level, because both companies are incapable of building those kind of stars these days, but I'm just going to sit back and enjoy this push while it lasts because he really is fucking brilliant.

The ending to his "rematch" against Storm was one of the best bits of heeling up I've ever seen. Helping Storm to his feet, asking the referee if the match was over - then that wonderful look as he thought "fuck it" and just rolled him up. They guy is on fire, I may have to eat my ranting words on how they missed their opportunity with him.

Austin Aries is brilliant. Kid Kash is still great. Football Boy took a beating for the whole match and Aries won. He never even got a comeback.

Absolute nonsense. Sorenson got plenty of offense in considering he was essentially in a handicap match for nine tenths of the match.

• Paid Members
Good because I haven't seen the show (or any post-Monday Night War TNA other than a bit to research for the Fantasy Booking thread) but this seems like the right thread to ask this: Is Abyss the worst fat big man ever?

Is he bollocks. That award goes to the Colossal Kongs from WCW circa 1993... awful!

• Paid Members
Austin Aries is brilliant. Kid Kash is still great. Football Boy took a beating for the whole match and Aries won. He never even got a comeback.

Absolute nonsense. Sorenson got plenty of offense in considering he was essentially in a handicap match for nine tenths of the match.

He got beaten to fuck for most of the match, Kash hits his finisher and Aries double crosses a fellow heel. Having offense and getting a comeback are completely different thing, you plum. Did you even watch the match? How can you say he got a comeback when he was pinned after two people were fighting over who got the pin on him?

He got beaten to fuck for most of the match, Kash hits his finisher and Aries double crosses a fellow heel. Having offense and getting a comeback are completely different thing, you plum. Did you even watch the match? How can you say he got a comeback when he was pinned after two people were fighting over who got the pin on him?

Sorenson had multiple comebacks. I know this because I watched the match.

• Paid Members

Multiple comebacks? Read what I'm saying. You dont get "multiple comebacks" in a match where your beaten to fuck for most of it. He had flurries of offense throughout the match. He never had a comeback, because if he had a comeback he wouldnt have been fodder for the finish. What comeback did he have? Where was his revenge? He sold for most of the match and ended up getting beat clean. The story of the match was that Aries and Kash couldn't get along, and they eventually turned, by one of them stealing a pinfall over the beaten Football Boy. He was a guinea pig for an angle at the end and a future feud which didn't involve him.

Archived