Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members
7:00pm - TNA Heavyweight Title Tournament: The top World Champions in TNA history battle to determine the greatest of all time

If it's TNA title only, that's some combination of Angle, Sting, Joe, Styles, Van Dam, Anderson, Hardy, Storm, Roode and Aries (Foley presumably not there) which sounds like quite the show.

Is there any chance Christian would be in that? Was there not talk that he had another TNA appearance lined up at some point?

I'd rather not see him doing a one-shot in TNA again, if his last one was anything to go by. Just showing up and going through the motions isn't much fun to watch.

Them TNA themes have changed slightly from the original list, "World X Cup" and "International Incident" (Global wrestlers in a tournament for TNA title shot) have been replaced by the Tag and Heavyweight tournaments. Shame as both of those sounded good.

Edited by Baz Windham

• Paid Members
The Joker's wild one sounds shite, kayfabe money prizes in 2013? Christ almighty

Maybe they're trying to get people used to the idea again? It's not all that bad. I always liked the whole "winner's purse" thing. Besides, they've been emphasising it a little bit more in TNA, with Aries and Roode referring to the bigger paycheques and better lifestyle and whatnot.

Edited by Carbomb

The Joker's wild one sounds shite, kayfabe money prizes in 2013? Christ almighty

Maybe they're trying to get people used to the idea again? It's not all that bad. I always liked the whole "winner's purse" thing. Besides, they've been emphasising it a little bit more in TNA, with Aries and Roode referring to the bigger paycheques and better lifestyle and whatnot.

I used to like commentators referring to the winners purse too but that was 20 years ago, they'd have been better off just having a tournament for a world title shot at any time (their version of MITB) or keeping the World X Cup PPV instead

• Paid Members
7:00pm - TNA Heavyweight Title Tournament: The top World Champions in TNA history battle to determine the greatest of all time

If it's TNA title only, that's some combination of Angle, Sting, Joe, Styles, Van Dam, Anderson, Hardy, Storm, Roode and Aries (Foley presumably not there) which sounds like quite the show.

Is there any chance Christian would be in that? Was there not talk that he had another TNA appearance lined up at some point?

I'd rather not see him doing a one-shot in TNA again, if his last one was anything to go by. Just showing up and going through the motions isn't much fun to watch.

Just to clarify, they haven't confirmed it is TNA title only and not the NWA champs as well. Can't really see any of the NWA era guys coming back -- Jarrett would be the main one, and I'd assume he'd come back on a "proper" show with a build-up.

• Paid Members

Just to clarify, they haven't confirmed it is TNA title only and not the NWA champs as well. Can't really see any of the NWA era guys coming back -- Jarrett would be the main one, and I'd assume he'd come back on a "proper" show with a build-up.

I'd really want to see Jarrett in it , hasn't he won the TNA title more than anyone else ?

I'd really want to see Jarrett in it , hasn't he won the TNA title more than anyone else ?

The NWA Title - yes. He's never held the actual TNA Title. So again, it depends if they choose to ignore the NWA reigns or not.

Edited by pgi86

• Paid Members

Problem is half their NWA champs aren't available or suitable - Christian Cage, Jeff Jarrett, Ron "R-Truth" Killings, Ken Shamrock (maybe he could be for one night, would be good), Raven (shouldn't bring him back for a main event ever), Abyss (maybe, but it'd fuck with the storylines).

I don't think they should , it was important

I agree. They shouldn't ignore that era. However, they have ignored those reigns in recent times. They've claimed Roode was the longest reigning World champion in company history and thus completely ignored Jarrett's record. They've done it with the Tag Titles too - they have ignored AMW's NWA record and claimed Beer Money were the longest reigning tag champs in company history. So it's safe to assume they'll likely ignore the NWA reigns again.

EDIT - But also, like Carbomb pointed out, a lot of the NWA champs aren't available or suitable for the PPV. And besides, they've got enough former TNA World champions on the current roster to make this tournament work without having to bring in other people.

Edited by pgi86