Gadaffi captured/killed

Frankie Crisp

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't be daft for once Mickey.

We live in a Christian democracy, with the Queen as Head of the Church and also Head of the Government. Most European countries are similar. Libya is an Islamic country, why shouldn't they found an Islamic democracy?

Unless you think there's something inherently wrong with Islam and Muslims or course....

Don't be daft for once Mickey.

We live in a Christian democracy, with the Queen as Head of the Church and also Head of the Government. Most European countries are similar. Libya is an Islamic country, why shouldn't they found an Islamic democracy?

Unless you think there's something inherently wrong with Islam and Muslims or course....

Nah, I love Islam, me! :)

But nullifying anything that goes against Islamic teachings, without any kind of vote or procedure doesn't seem very democratic does it?

If enough people vote for it, then yes it is mickey. That's how democracy works, generally. But I realise it may be a bit more complicated than you can get your head round.

Er no

They've (NTC) basically took control of Libya and have implemented their own basic rules without any real power to do so.

Further down the page,

"Using Sharia as the main source of legislation is stipulated in the constitution of neighboring Egypt. Still, Egyptian laws remain largely secular as Sharia does not cover all aspects of modern day life. "

Further down the page,

"Using Sharia as the main source of legislation is stipulated in the constitution of neighboring Egypt. Still, Egyptian laws remain largely secular as Sharia does not cover all aspects of modern day life. "

For now.

I think the Egyptian elections will go a long way to see how the "Arab Spring" will shape up, we can kind of see the direction Libya will go, we know how Tunisa voted & if Egypt takes the same path then I expect Syria to follow suit.

Bear in mind that the new Libya doesn't even HAVE a constitution yet, that will be decided by a general assembly that is the product of their first proper election, probably some time next year. Saying they are going to start with Sharia as a basis is no different from a new Christian democracy saying it will start from a basis of Christian morality.

It may well be that Libya ends up a fairly conservative Islamist state, but if it does it'll be by the will of the people through the democratic process.

we know how Tunisa voted

Yes, the largest party in that election was the moderate Islamist party, the one that has been instrumental in fighting for democracy for decades over there. Basically, your argument is that IF these new fledgling democracies decide to make states that are founded on their native religion of Islam, that makes them what.... all terrorists and murderers?

It may well be that Libya ends up a fairly conservative Islamist state, but if it does it'll be by the will of the people through the democratic process.

The people can have all the will in the world, but I doubt they'll see petrol prices of 14 cents per litre, free education (it'll be interesting to see where female education goes in light of the current regime) and dirt cheap electricity in the future.

It's also worth noting that NATO bombing managed to seriously damage the water pipeline that Gaddafi had built to provide water across the desert to around 70% of Libyan homes. Just for good measure, they later bombed the factory that was making the replacement pipes to try and fix the earlier attack.

Six workers died in the process.

Archived