UFC On Versus: Cruz vs Johnson Discussion Thread

David

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Uvs6logo.jpg

Dominick Cruz vs. Demetrious Johnson (for bantamweight title)

Pat Barry vs. Stefan Struve

Charlie Brenneman vs. Anthony Johnson

Mac Danzig vs. Matt Wiman

Yves Edwards vs. Rafaello Oliveira*

Michael Johnson vs. Paul Sass*

Mike Easton vs. Jeff Hougland*

Aaron Rosa vs. TBA*

T.J. Grant vs. Shane Roller*

Josh Neer vs. Keith Wisniewski*

Joseph Sandoval vs. Walel Watson*

*Prelim fight

This has the makings of a good little card I think, with the main event being worthy of a PPV co-main event.

I'm interested in seeing if Brenneman manages to continue his wave of success as well.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Cage Warriors 44 and Bellator 52 are the same night as this aswell :thumbsup:

I posted this in the MMA news thread but does anyone know if we're getting this show on TV? It won't be on ESPN but maybe FX or Premier Sports will show it. If not I'd expect ufc.tv should stream it.

I posted this in the MMA news thread but does anyone know if we're getting this show on TV? It won't be on ESPN but maybe FX or Premier Sports will show it. If not I'd expect ufc.tv should stream it.

Nothing has been announced yet. It will be on ufc.tv 100% but I would hope FX or Premier Sports will pick it up.

Nothing has been announced yet. It will be on ufc.tv 100% but I would hope FX or Premier Sports will pick it up.

Yeah, I REALLY hope FX or Premier Sports show this. I hope Paul Sass can pick up another win too. My dad has been working on his house this weekend and said he seemed like a nice lad. He also gave him a dvd of all his pro fights so far :thumbsup:

• Paid Members

Some quotes from the Giraffe and the Rhino

Barry

"I don't think it'll be that big of a deal in this fight. Everybody Stefan comes across, fights and trains with is shorter than he is. Everybody that I come across, fight and train with is taller than I am. So this fight is going to be everything normal. How often does Stefan Struve come across someone taller than him? Not very often. And I haven't come across many heavyweights shorter than I am. So I think this is going to be pretty normal. I'm accustomed to guys being taller than I am and Stefan is accustomed to guys shorter than he is."

"I found a guy I call the black Struve. Maurice Green, who's 6-foot-9, he's a guy who came in for three weeks, a wrestler turned kickboxer out of Chicago. He was a guy I brought in in order to find my range and work my distance. And then we'd have Marty Morgan, who's 6-foot-3, stand on a stool while I threw punches and kicks at him."

Struve

"I'm a lot taller than he is and I plan on using the reach, stand on the outside and pick him apart. The last fight I made a stupid mistake, I was coming in and he was coming in with his punch. I should have used my reach better, but I've been working with that with new coaches and I've improved a lot with that. I'm always working on getting better on the outside and trying to use my reach as I should. "

and on the subject of reach, Dominick Cruz is bang on with this imo

"Reach is a big deal as long as you know how to use it. A short fighter has to know how to fight like a short fighter, a tall fighter has to know how to fight like a tall fighter. It's very easy for a tall fighter to get sucked into the inside game. The only reason reach is worth anything is if you know how to use it and stay on the outside, force the other guy to telegraph kicks, telegraph punches, telegraph shots. I definitely think reach is a big advantage and something that can be used very effectively."

No love for mighty mouse then? He's got no votes in the poll yet! :(

Tricky one. Part of me thinks that Cruz will be as dominant at Bantamweight as GSP is at Welterweight and Anderson is at Middleweight, but then Johnson has been the underdog in his past three fights (against Page, KID and Torres) and won the lot. If I was putting money on this I would be backing Cruz, but I wouldn't be surprised if Johnson pulls off another upset.

• Paid Members

Yeah Cruz is the smart pick but if anyone can match Cruz for speed and movement at BW it's Mighty Mouse.

Just think Cruz will have the edge on him on the feet, he'll have the reach and he's a fair bit bigger and he has a good track record against wrestlers. Johnson is on a hell of a run but I thought he got a bit lucky with the judges in the Torres fight. Not robbery but he was fortunate there imo.

And its worth considering Cruz will be the quickest opponent Mighty Mouse has faced aswell so it works both ways. I'm picking Cruz on points but it should be a belter.

Gotta go for Cruz.

Brad Pickett had Johnsons number with relative ease, and Cruz is pretty much a higher quality version of Pickett with better wrestling. Plus the height/reach advantage will play a big role in it.

Personally I don't even think Johnson should've got this title shot, Brian Bowles is more deserving - hell he only lost his title due to a broken hand. Bowles won two in a row after that but now has to fight Faber at UFC 139 to get a title shot, in reality Bowles should have got this shot and Johnson should've had to face Faber to get a shot.

Archived