UFC On Versus: Cruz vs Johnson Discussion Thread

David

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to admit to getting excited about seeing a British fighter who can actually fight on the ground. That submission by Sass on Johnson was textbook. After hearing the various pundits dismiss Sass as someone who would get beaten by a wrestler like Johnson I was glad to see Sass get the win.Keith Wisniewski must be one of the dumbest fighters I've ever watched. Why didn't he at least try to defend Neer's elbows? Fucking ridiculous.As for the event itself, I have to admit that I was impressed by Mac Danzig, even if I don't think he'll ever reach the heights he was once touted for. Anthony Johnson completely destroyed Charlie Brenneman. The dude looked as though he didn't even want to be in there.Both the main event and the Barry vs Struve fight went exactly as I thought they would. Nothing really outstanding there, but entertaining nonetheless.

• Paid Members

Enjoyed this card overall.Wiman vs Danzig was a fucking corker. Loved that fight, it made up for the dodgy ending the first time they fought and I was pleased they got the FOTN bonus.Johnson vs Brenneman went about how I expected just a bit quicker. People are giving Mario Yamasaki shit for the stoppage but with how wobbly Brenneman looked just before the headkick and then how he plopped down from the headkick itself, in Yamasaki's position I can see why he called it off. The Struve vs Barry powerbomb/triangle finish was fucking awesome. I thought Barry was on his way to stopping Struve with leg kicks but Struve did well the way he set up that finish. Hope they keep Barry around for atleast one more fight.Really enjoyed the main event, really technical fight. Mighty Mouse did really well, by the end of the fight I was thinking he will be hell to deal with at 125 when they bring that weight class in. The fact he's done as well as he has as an undersized BW against top guys shows how good he is. Cruz is gonna be a fucker to dethrone. Anyone catch how gutted Dana looked putting the belt on Cruz?Really happy Sass won. I had a bad feeling Johnson would beat him. My thinking was he'd use his wrestling to keep it standing and on the feet he'd have the advantage in striking and power. First minute or too looked rough but that was a cracking finish for Sass.Glad Yves Edwards got strong finish aswell. Happy he's gonna be sticking around always been a fan of his.

• Paid Members

I have to admit to getting excited about seeing a British fighter who can actually fight on the ground. That submission by Sass on Johnson was textbook.

Yeah Sass is a beast on the ground. Look out for Vaughn Lee aswell (he's fighting on UFC 138), great ground game and actually broke the record for most subs at a TUF tryout recently with something like 4 submissions in 2 minutes.

Had the same problem as MOM, so missed the first fight, Rumble looked great but Brenneman is quitelimited when he can't out wrestle them. While the fight was stopped early, Mario Yamasaki went to stop the fight after Brenneman's eyes rolled back into his head and could'nt exactly let the fight continue after getting in Rumble's way after the head kick, even if Brenneman seemed ok when he landed on the ground.Struve-Barry was ok, they are fun fighters but will never amount to anything, Barry's ground game is embarrasing and Struve needs to learn how to properly use his reach but even though he's young, the amount of damage he has taken in his career already, means he is'nt going to last longer than a few years.Demetrious Johnson should have maybe stayed on the outside longer as he was doing great there but he was just getting out grapled by Dominick Cruz but Cruz' ground and pound is poor, he should be studying Jon Jones tapes to see how a tall fighter should do it. Cruz looked tired from the second round on and DJ kept coming but Cruz was just too big for him when they wrestled. Dana said again that they will be bringing in the 125 division soon, Demetrious Johnson will be happy about that and a title fight with Benavidez would be great stuff.

• Paid Members

some thoughts on the main card (im avoiding undercard spoilers)...* Cruz/Johnson was a good title fight, it just seemed like Johnson just didn't have the power to hurt Cruz, he was having some success on the feet but i never felt like he could put Cruz away. I was surprised that Cruz outgrappled Johnson so comfortably too, i expected Cruz to dominate on the feet, but it was the grappling exchanges that won Cruz the fight. Only one judge gave Johnson a round so it's safe to say that Cruz was easily. Still it was a fun fight to watch. * Barry/Struve ended as predicted, i knew as soon as this hit the ground Struve would wrap it up comfortably. I think everyone thought it was going to be a barnburner on the feet but i knew the height difference would make it fairly cagey. Had to love Barry's Rampage impression with the powerbomb though. * Johnson/Brenneman - This was a mis-match from the bell. It's hard to believe that Johnson and Brenneman were in the same weight category, Johnson is fucking huge. I was surprised to see Johnson stuff Brenneman's takedown's so effectively, and from that Brenneman was basically fucked, he took way to much damage trying to hang on in the turtle position on the ground and looked frightened to death when it got back to the feet. The fight was stopped prematurely but the ref. basically just prevented the inevitable in my opinion. All Brenneman's momentum from the Story fight was just erased in 2 minutes. As for Johnson, if he can fix a few holes in his game i honestly think he's going on a title run. * Wiman/Danzig - outstanding opener. I mentioned in a thread that ive renewed my love for Danzig after watching TUF 5 so it was great to see him get into an absolute tear-up. Great to see em settle the original battle but Wiman just seemed to be the man doing the more significant damage in the fight and i think that's what gave him the decision, it was just a great clash of styles. This fight will end up on the 'Best of 2011' DVD.

• Paid Members

finally saw the prelims, some great stuff on there.

* Roller/Grant was an outstanding fight, TJ Grant is someone who's been in the UFC for ages but always flies under the radar, perhaps now he's at 155 he'll fulfill his potential, he looked great at 155. Seek it out.

* Paul Sass is a madman at 155, depsite being at a supposed disadvatage on the feet, Sass definitly was not afraid to go after Johnson to get this where he wanted it. He attacked constantly and once it went to the ground it was she wrote. Johnson i don't could what happened. Sass seems like one of those Shinya Aoki type guys who just has a jiu jitsu style that is made for MMA. British breakout star?

* If you ever want to introduce people to MMA, and want to do it by showing something brutal about the sport...show them Josh Neer/Keith Wisniewski, holy fucking shit this was brutal. I've never seen anyone stand in the pocket and trade elbows like these two, Wisniewski was just getting blasted and did nothing to even attempt to block what Neer was throwing, absolute insanity. I've become pretty disensitised to the violence in MMA over the years but i was wincing during this fight. The doctor's saved Wisniewski getting about 50 more stitches by not letting him go out for round 3. Loved it.

Archived