UFC On Versus: Cruz vs Johnson Discussion Thread

David

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Struve's fucking quality. I'm yet to see him in a crap fight and he's got a ton of heart. His comeback wins over Stojnic and Morecraft were proper ballsy comebacks. His fight with Buentello was a really underrated war aswell. Gotta love the Dutch Giraffe.

Like pryko says he's still young, he's got time and if he can add a bit of muscle on to his frame which shouldn't be hard looking at his physique and with his age, I can see him doing pretty well. Not likely to trouble the top 5 but he could have a good run.

Main thing I'd like to see Struve work on his his defence because as exciting as his fights are no-one can keep coming back from a pasting and winning forever, it will catch up to him eventually.

I love Pat Barry aswell. I'm not gonna root either way in this fight but I can't wait to see it.

That Struve/Mighty Mouse pic is fantastic, fuck all to do with MMA but it reminds me of this tremendous picture

funny-Shaq-small-girlfriend.jpg

how does that physically happen? Shaq would split her in half surely.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Yet again UFC have no consideration for Virgin Media subscribers.

Or those on Freeview. ESPN will loose out on some customers if they either loose or don't renew the rights to the PPV's and other cards.

I think it's harsh to blame the UFC. It's ESPN's fault for not picking up the shows and no other channels on your subscription wanting to pick it up. Atleast the UFC are trying to get it out another way. Plus its available On UFC.com isn't it?

• Paid Members

Yeah the UFC aren't to blame. They've made sure we don't miss anything one way or another.

It's all down to ESPN. When the ESPN deal was made it only covered the numbered events and Fight Nights. I'm guessing they were free to negotiate TUF from season to season.

UFC were well within their rights to ask ESPN to cough up a bit extra for the Versus shows because they weren't part of the original deal. ESPN showed them anyway for a bit but UFC wanted paying and ESPN wouldn't cough up.

It's not a good sign for the future of UFC on ESPN. They're pretty much certain to be trying to get on Sky again when the contract's up next year.

I don't see how it's ESPN's fault either. They made a deal with the UFC for all PPV and Spike events. The UFC then put on more events and offered the rights around, ESPN were not willing to pay what they wanted as obviously the ratings are not high enough to justify it. If they thought they would make money off the new events then they would have purchased the rights.

Also the fact that no other channel has bought the rights to these shows makes it look to me that the UFC are asking too much money to make it worth while to a channel.

If I was the UFC I would be trying to give the rights away for free to a channel like FIVE so it gets more eyes viewing the product, as no-one is willing to stump up the cash for them.

I would imagine in August when the deal is up, all the shows will be bundle into one package so it will be much easier to get people interested.

• Paid Members

Yeah they probably were asking too much. I'm just saying the decision was down to ESPN and they chose not to pay for it. It's their right to say no but the choice was on them.

I deffo agree they should try and get the extra stuff on Five. Especially with the Spike prelims and stuff like that. It would make sense and be good advertising for their main cards.

I can see it all going to Sky next year and them trying to charge PPV for some of the shows. Can't see it doing well on PPV here but I think they will try.

• Paid Members

Okay what's people's predictions for Barry vs Struve?

There's a clear grappling advantage for Struve obviously but with such a height difference he could find it hard to get Barry down. He might be best to try pulling guard and looking for a triangle.

The problem is Struve seems to fancy himself as a striker and even with the reach and height advantage Barry could fuck him up quick if he tries to stand. If Struve doesn't find a way to get Barry down I can deffo see a leg kick TKO coming.

I really don't know with this though. I'm thinking at some point they will wind up on the ground and Barry is Kimbo-level shit on the ground.

I'll have Struve by submission in round 2. But wouldn't be surprised at all to see something like this

ufc_107_struve_buentello_dropped_slow.gif

or

leg-kicks.gif

• Paid Members

I've gone Struve sub. After his highlight reel KO I think he'll be more wary of when he strikes and he's not gonna wanna play that game with Barry. Struve to take the fight south and engulf Barry with his monster limbs and get a tap.

• Paid Members

Struve was asked how he'd deal with headkicks from Barry and this was his answer

"Block it with my shin"

and Barry's thoughts on if it goes to the ground

"he could lay on the ground and submit me while I was standing straight up."

:laugh: I love these 2

• Paid Members

i think Struve is going to destroy Barry...Struve has been known to stand and try trade but coming off a bad KO i see him playing safe. If Struve gets this to the ground, it's all she wrote. I'm going for Struve round 2 sub, but i wouln't be surprised if it ends in 1. There's no way Struve can stand with Barry, the height is massive, but Struve's twig legs aint going to to be able to take them leg kicks.

i think Struve is going to destroy Barry...Struve has been known to stand and try trade but coming off a bad KO i see him playing safe. If Struve gets this to the ground, it's all she wrote. I'm going for Struve round 2 sub, but i wouln't be surprised if it ends in 1. There's no way Struve can stand with Barry, the height is massive, but Struve's twig legs aint going to to be able to take them leg kicks.

Yeah I think exactly the same, but I'm going for 1st round Sub.

Was surprised to see that Barry is quite a heavy favourite in the betting circles, you can take Struve at 7/4 in some places - very good price imo.

• Paid Members

Yeah Barry's great. I'd love to go on the piss with him Phil Davis and Clay Guida. They seem like 3 of the soundest guys in MMA.

i think Struve is going to destroy Barry...Struve has been known to stand and try trade but coming off a bad KO i see him playing safe.

You'd think so which is also why I picked him to submit Barry. But even when he's been badly KO'd in the past he's still come in the same the next fight.He can't seem to stop himself getting into wars.

Archived