Your Favorite Seller!

Michael_3165

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personal favs include:

1. Chris Masters - watching Superstars with Masters was always a treat. He made people like Drew McIntyre and Jack Swagger look like killers and yet his comebacks were supersweet. I geuninely think Masters deserves commendation for becoming such a tremendous wrestler, and a big part of that is his logical and persistent selling.

2. Randy Savage- late great Macho Man. He really could do it all, but his sellling was amazing. I have seen Savage make someone as shoddy as the Honky Tonk Man look like a credible threat. And his performance against Flair at Wrestlemania 8 was absolutely sweet.

3. Bret Hart- I'm a Bret fan, but he was terrific at selling. Never over the top like some others but very effective and he could look out into the audience and make you just beg he'd be alright.

4. Ricky Steamboat- Everytime Steamboat was on the floor and staring right into camera, my leg would start tapping, you just wanted to get in there and save him.

5. Jeff Hardy- I'm not a Hardy fan but he deserves some credit for the brilliant underdog performances in 2007-2009. In particular his sterling selling work completely remade Umaga after being ruined by the likes of Marella, HHH and Lashley.

6. El Generico- Come on. His performances are always good to see and he really taps into the believe you are watching someone two seconds away from death

Chris-Masters-wwe01.jpg

Fantastic.

Thank the Lord this man gets credit. One of the best sellers going. Awesome selling limbs.

Curt Hennig was glorious. My favourite guy ever to watch getting smashed around.

Bret Hart was the most realistic I've ever seen, ever.

Ricky Morton. Just awesome at taking a shit kicking and firing back. Easily one of the best.

• Paid Members

I concur with the earlier Orton comment, i adore the way he takes superkicks. Also echo the Ziggler love, he bumps about like mad without it being over the top, looks great and makes his opponent look tremendo also. Zigglers a real talent. His match with Orton the other week was a right treat.

Benoit was fucking grand around 2004-6 too. He's great in Money in the Bank at 'Mania 21.

Definitely Bret Hart though, he sold a bad wheel nicely but the simple, subtle things he did really made his work believable, like how he drops but clutches the ropes to try and keep himself up. KOTR '93 he's outstanding.

el generico for me, i couldnt understand the appeal in his very early roh stuff but as i watched on i've grown to love him to death, seriously how many great matches has he been in? sells stuff like an absolute ten ton missile has hit him and can gain sympathy too WITH A MASK ON.

regal is golden too both in terms of selling in comedic and dramatic ways.

• Paid Members

Those little trunks are too little on Masters. You can practically see the Masters' piece, so to speak.

Anyhoo my favourites echo the thoughts of one or two others. Bret Hart was of my favourites, although I am hugely biased as he was my favourite wrestler, so I cared him being "hurt" or not regardless of how well he was selling. One of my earliest memories are of him gasping in pain when the camera was up close to him after he shoulder-charged into the ring post against Shawn Michaels at Survivors 92. Vince made a call of "Hitman is in big time trouble" and I really did think he was fucked. Little things he did so well, arching his back after he'd been slammed hard to show his back hurt, shaking his arm to get the feeling back if an opponent had been working on it, he really knew what he was doing.

However the absolute king, as it were, was Randy Savage for me. Babyface Macho always made me convinced his opponent had him in absolute agony, whether it was a monster like Giant Gonzalez or a relative non-entity like Repo Man. (Or is that harsh?) Most memorable for me are any of his matches with Flair where he was required to sell the leg, and the drubbing he took from Flair and Mr Perfect at ringside at SummerSlam 92. When Bobby the Brain said "they broke his leg" or "he'll never walk again," some of the grimaces and limping from Savage really made me buy into him being crippled.

Upon relection, Repo Man was actually an excellent comedy heel, especially the vignettes. Maybe he needs an appreciation thread.

• Paid Members

Best:

-Randy Savage. Got to the top turn buckle while still selling a leg injury, and never put weight on his leg when going up. Wrestled a full year in WCW selling a knee injury. Had those amazing matches with the Warrior selling throughout. Find something better than that?

-Ric Flair's one of the best sellers of all time. Whether he's selling moves or selling impact. The OP might not like him, but your obviously blinded by hatred, so he's definitely not one of the worst offenders. Go watch Royal Rumble 92, when Roddy Piper's the next man. The look on Flair's face sells the impact of how much his Royal Rumble future is in doubt when he see's Piper coming down the aisle.

-Bret Hart is excellent. Even was he's on the offense, he's still messing about with areas of his body that have been previously worked on. And, say if he loses, you get a sense it really means something to him. Probably the best at selling the impact of whats happening in a match I've ever seen.

-Hulk Hogan invented the jellyfish sell, later copied by D-Von Dudley. Hogan's best move was his selling. He did that for 20 minutes a night, because he Hulk Up. He always made himself look vulnerable, because the win, which was always good.

-Randy Orton is terrific. His facial expressions are brilliant after taking moves.

-Terry Funk: My EYYYEEE!!!!

Worst:

-Ultimate Warrior: Never sold a thing ever. Either lay there or shook his hair.

-The Undertaker: Actually, Undertaker up until about 2007. Undertaker was considered one of the worst of all time, when it came to selling. His matches with Batista, Shawn Michaels and especially this year with Triple H has shown how amazing he can be. But I still cant forget the time about 12 WCW wrestlers attacked him in a carpark and he no sold the lot.

-Goldberg. Never sold, and that was his act. So fair enough.

Tully Blanchard was phenomenal, he'd bounce around for anyone and make them look like solid gold. Case in point would be his match with Ultimate Warrior just before Survivor Series, 80% of the match was him bumping for Woyah. Facial expressions were tremendous too.

• Paid Members
to be fair, wasnt Warriors character similar in that respect? he was also supposed to be a demoltion machine, wasnt he?

Should be noted, I'm not knocking Warrior at all. His indestructable persona made the likes of Rude and Savage (who could break through his shell) even better. The difference between Goldberg and Warrior for me was, Warrior's character usually needed to sell, because he had that rope shaking version of the Hulk Up. It was during the era when 80% of a babyfaces match was getting beat up until the comeback. Goldberg's was during the era when his character was a destroyer, so very rarely did the opportunity come up for Goldberg to sell anything. When Warrior did sell though, he looked pretty dreadful (his match with Lawler was really bad).

Archived