UFC on FOX I discussion

PowerButchi

• Moderators

Cain Velasquez vs. Junior Dos Santos for the heavyweight title.

That's a really big way to kick off on network TV. That's one I'd have held for PPV, but obviously they want a big one for the first. I hope they've got decent prelims as I don't see it leaving Round 2 one way or another.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Massive night for MMA. I'm as much looking forward to how they do this thing production-wise as anything. The UFC has kept the same formula for so long that any kind of overhaul is gonna be weird but it should be for the best (i think they've had the same intro to a show since UFC 36 or something!). The future of the promotion isn't necessarily riding on this one fight but it's kind of a 'this needs to deliver' thing. MMA and combat sports can be very unpredictable so it doesn't always play out as you'd hope (which is kind of the appeal as well), but the UFC must be praying that this thing goes a little bit 'Griffin/Bonnar'.

Exciting shit.

• Moderators

I'm happy they're getting rid of the Gladiator and all that shite. On network TV it's important to be seen as a real sport, and that's what UFC have to achieve with everything from their theme (Horns are the way on Fox Sports NFL on FOX,

), as soon as new people hear that abrasive Nu-Metal they'll turn off) and everything. I hope UFC do a great job of it. But the last thing they need is Cain not wanting to mix and pulling a Dan Severn for 5 rounds. Which I doubt will happen, but it really better not.

I think the Fox thing is so important to push MMA as a real sport, as opposed to people with shit tattoo's having a scuffle. Dana's not thick, so I think he will. The Pre and Post game shows are evidence of that as far as I can see. If it's treated like a sport, with real punditry, and the rest of the stuff it'll be a winner. But acting like they are on PPV or Spike on a Saturday Night will flop to shit.

• Paid Members

i don't think there's any fear of Cain pulling a Severn, what makes you think that? Cain's one of the most aggressive heavyweight fighters there's ever been in MMA, ive never seen him not be on the attack.

God I am so excited for this its going to be insane. Although a part of me will miss the old production and the Gladiator man, it is going to do wonders for the sport. Will be interesting just tuning in to watch one fight, hopefully they strike a deal so that we can get the rest of the show on TV as watching on a PC is just not the same.

• Moderators
i don't think there's any fear of Cain pulling a Severn, what makes you think that? Cain's one of the most aggressive heavyweight fighters there's ever been in MMA, ive never seen him not be on the attack.

Shamrock vs Gracie, and Shamrock vs Severn II. My UFC love is still in 1996, and fuck they used to ruin their big chances. Cain's never going to stand and bang with JDS. I don;t think he'll pull a Severn really, as I said in the opening post it's not leaving Round 2 one way or another, but it'd be a dump if he did pull one. But, as odd as it sounds, I'm looking forward to UFC giving it the real sport treatment.

• Paid Members

This will no doubt get a huge rating and FOX will make sure it receives the best promotion possible. It's a year or two down the line I fear for UFC a bit, it's all well and good getting on a big network but you also need to produce results when you're on. FOX and UFC still have a job on, training a large chunk of the audience into discarding their previous discrimination against MMA as 'human cock fighting'. Some people still think MMA/UFC is wrong.

This fight will be decided on for me wheather or not Cain can takdown JDS. If they trade I can see JDS knocking Cain out. Only thing that worries me about this is will it draw?

Unless Cain takedown JDS and reverts back to his Kongo fight of lay and prey and ineffective GnP, I think it should be a exciting or at least watchable fight. Cain does have the trump card of pulling in the hispanic market and giving this away on TV isnt that bad as it was only going to give Dana 300k on PPV or so in my opinion. Someone had a point yesterday, the draw will be UFC on Fox, not the actually fighters, the brand is the initial draw and the rating will grow or decrease with the quality and entertainment value of what they see fro there on.

Besides GSP and Lesnar it seems everyone else this past year only draws between 250k -500k, barring the Superbowl mega show. I am glad they are re-upping the production values, not just for the good reasons mentioned above, but also because as I have learnt with WWE keep the same format and god does it get stale and boring to look at.

Exciting times to be a UFC fan.

• Paid Members
Shamrock vs Gracie, and Shamrock vs Severn II. My UFC love is still in 1996, and fuck they used to ruin their big chances. Cain's never going to stand and bang with JDS. I don;t think he'll pull a Severn really, as I said in the opening post it's not leaving Round 2 one way or another, but it'd be a dump if he did pull one. But, as odd as it sounds, I'm looking forward to UFC giving it the real sport treatment.

Butch I hope your not saying you want this fight to be a standup affair only because it might put off potential viewers if they go to the ground. The sport needs to be shown in the right way, Ground fighting and all.

On the other hand if you're saying that you hope it's not some mind numbingly dull affair, well there aint much chance of that happening.

As for the fight it self I can see Cain wanting to use his wrestling. JDS has shown decent TDD so far, I really wanna see what he can do off his back too.

It's gonna be fireworks!

• Paid Members

Man, I've not been online for a couple of days so only just seen this. Velasquez vs Dos Santos and Pacquiao vs Marquez on the same night, gonna be a fucking brilliant night that.

I'm glad they're getting rid of the old intro too. It all needs re-doing imo. Pride and Strikeforce always had cool intros with a sporty feel so I hope they go down that route. Wonder how far they'll go with the revamp?

As for the fight, it's a week earlier now so that bit closer. Seriously can't wait for this one its the one heavyweight fight I've wanted to see for about a year and a half now. The Fedor/Randy and Fedor/Brock ships sailed ages ago and even when everyone was practically cumming their pants over a possible Fedor/Overeem fight it was Cain vs JDS I wanted to see most. I'm chuffed we're getting this when they're both at the top of their game.

I'm thinking Cain will win, have done since the talk of the fight started but really fuck knows whats gonna happen. But I'm really not too sure what's gonna happen. Both guys could end it on the feet although both have solid chins. I'd give JDS a slight edge in boxing but I think Cain mixes it up better on the feet and obviously has the wrestling too. Gonna be a tough fight either way.

Why do people keep talking about it being promoted as a real sport? It's been promoted as a real sport for as long as it's been on.

Anyways, exciting fight, exciting exposure for the ufc but to give away a heavy weight fight on network telly? One hopes fox is paying/offering them alot.

Why do people keep talking about it being promoted as a real sport? It's been promoted as a real sport for as long as it's been on.

Anyways, exciting fight, exciting exposure for the ufc but to give away a heavy weight fight on network telly? One hopes fox is paying/offering them alot.

Its about the presentation, the Gladiator style screams underground and reinforces the "human cock fighting" stereotype. If UFC put that on Fox it would increase the chances of it being a fringe sport and not a proper sport in America like MLB, NFL and NBA.

• Paid Members

That 'Face the pain' song is shite too. That's the main gripe I have with the UFC intros. I get why they chose it cos it's violent sounding and maybe it does kinda get you pumped but the screaming is so fucking irritating for me. And on a big station like FOX where they wanna be taken as a serious sport it makes sense to change it.

That 'Face the pain' song is shite too. That's the main gripe I have with the UFC intros. I get why they chose it cos it's violent sounding and maybe it does kinda get you pumped but the screaming is so fucking irritating for me. And on a big station like FOX where they wanna be taken as a serious sport it makes sense to change it.

I liked it when I first became a fan because as you said it can get you pumped, but now it is really past its sell by date am glad to see it go.

I like change :)

Its about the presentation, the Gladiator style screams underground and reinforces the "human cock fighting" stereotype. If UFC put that on Fox it would increase the chances of it being a fringe sport and not a proper sport in America like MLB, NFL and NBA.

To be honest I think it's getting to that stage on it's own, it's selling out arenas, it's pulling in way more buys in the course of a year than boxing comes close to. It's becomming a proper recognised sport.

Granted there's the human cock fighting aspect but ya can't entirely take that away, cos that's what it is, and alot of that is what sells it.

Archived