Shamar Bailey vs. Evan Dunham *

Lance Benoist vs. Matt Riddle*

Ken Stone vs. Donny Walker*

Clay Harvison vs. DaMarques Johnson*

Daniel Roberts vs. T.J. Waldburger*

Mike Lullo vs. Mackens Semerzier*

Justin Edwards vs. Jorge Lopez*

*prelim fight

UFC welterweight contender Jake Shields knows all about disappointment.

Shields lost a unanimous decision to UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre this past April, and he said he regrets several aspects of his performance in what he admits was an "overwhelming" experience.

Now Shields must face a tough Jake Ellenberger, who has spent months calling out his UFC Fight Night 25 foe. However, Shields said he hasn't taken any of the trashtalk to heart. After all, Shields insists, he really doesn't even know who Ellenberger is.

"I don't really know who the guy is," Shields told MMAjunkie.com Radio. "That's my statement. I have no opinion of the guy yet. I guess I don't even know if I don't like him or not. I just hear he keeps talking crap. I don't know. I'm not sure why because I don't even know who he is."

Ellenberger began calling for a fight with Shields this past October, shortly after the former Strikeforce champ earned a victory in his UFC debut with a split-decision win over Martin Kampmann.

"Jake Shields, you're as exciting as watching a bowl of mashed potatoes get cold," Ellenberger posted on his Twitter account. "Your days are numbered.

"Jake Shields' cardio won't be a factor if he fights me next. I won't keep him around long enough to get tired."

Instead, Shields went on to face St-Pierre. In the meantime, Ellenberger rattled off wins over Sean Pierson and Carlos Eduardo Rocha, upping his octagon win streak to four fights.

Now the two will meet in the main event of "UFC Fight Night 25: Shields vs. Ellenberger," which takes place Sept. 17 in New Orleans.

Between now and then, the trashtalk between the two will inevitably increase, but Shields said he really has no need at this time to engage in such banter.

"I don't really know much about the guy," Shields said. "I only heard of him for the first time maybe six months ago. People said this kid kept talking crap about me. I still think I've only seen him fight once, so I don't have much opinion. I'll have to watch him fight more so I can make an opinion of him. Personally, I know I don't like him, but as a fighter, I don't really have much of an opinion of him yet.

"I'm not saying he's not a good fighter. I just find it kind of amusing. This guy apparently has some kind of beef with me for some reason. Maybe I stole one of his girlfriends or something."

For Ellenberger, the fight is likely the biggest of his career to date. Relatively unknown to casual fans when he made his UFC debut in 2009, the 26-year-old has impressed in five total octagon showings.

Meanwhile, Shields

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Can't believe Dunham is fighting on the Prelims. Deserves a main card spot for me. I understand they wanna showcase the TUF guys but suprised with that and the fact that hes fighting Bailey. He lost his last fight to a real contender, beating Bailey won't do much for him. He's in a similar position to Sheilds.

Can't believe Dunham is fighting on the Prelims. Deserves a main card spot for me. I understand they wanna showcase the TUF guys but suprised with that and the fact that hes fighting Bailey. He lost his last fight to a real contender, beating Bailey won't do much for him. He's in a similar position to Sheilds.

He's lost his last two, I guess they wanted to give him an easy fight to get him back on track.

• Paid Members

Looks a decent little show.

Belcher vs MacDonald should be good and be interesting to see how the TUF winners get on. Court McGee especially seems like one of the least talked about TUF winners ever. I've never really been convinced by him to be honest so I'm looking forward to see if he's improved.

Shields vs Ellenberger could be decent. If Ellenberger can keep it standing he's got a decent shot, he's crazily heavy handed for 170. Then again so was Hendo and he couldn't stop Shields. Tough one.

Jorge Lopez on the prelims is a Wand Fight Team fighter with a record of 11-1. I'm looking forward to see how he does. And Ken Stone looked good against Scott Jorgensen last time out despite losing so his fight will be worth a look.

• Paid Members
Yeah. A debatable split decision to Sherk and a TKO by Guillard. Top competition.

Just feel it's a big drop down.

Yeah I thought they'd go with something like Dunham vs Sotiropoulos myself. They were both on the cusp of a title shot but both recently got derailed, that fight would have made more sense to me. And would probably be a better fight too.

Yeah I thought they'd go with something like Dunham vs Sotiropoulos myself. They were both on the cusp of a title shot but both recently got derailed, that fight would have made more sense to me. And would probably be a better fight too.

They had G-Sop vs Evan penciled in for UFC 132 (I think) before one of them got injured.

• Paid Members

Oh yeah I've just seen that, sad news. I wouldn't blame him if he pulled out I can't imagine having to fight in front of millions of viewers just weeks after losing a parent.

Fuck knows what they'll do if he does pull out though. None of the other fights on the card are main event worthy imo. All I could think would be move a fight from UFC 135 to headline this. It would only mean bringing the fight a week forward. Maybe Gomi vs Nate Diaz? That would be a good Fight Night headliner.

Fuck knows, maybe Shields will be even more motivated to fight.

EDIT - Shields is going ahead with the fight accoriding to MMAFighting.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I think people will instantly pick the TUF winners but they've got tough night...

* McGee is no doubt tough but if he stands in front of Yang he might get dropped, Yang has a high KO ratio and Court McGee has shown in the past that he's easy to hit.

* Jonathon Brookins again is tough but seems easy to hit, and he's fighting a guy with a submission background who's coming off two massive KO wins. Koch might make a bit of a statement here against a popular opponent. I'd love to see Brookin's win though.

* 2 years ago i'd have put money on Belcher to beat Jason MacDonald but it's a case of how Belcher looks after being out for for 16 months. If Belcher's rusty he could have a rough night. MacDonald is always ready so he'll exploit any rustiness Belcher may have.

* As for Shields, the guy's gonna be fighting with a heavy heart and that can effect guys in different ways. Some people get motivated by it, others mentally zone out. I'd probably pick Ellenberger over Shields in any situation, depsite Shields proving me wrong no end of times i always think he's going to lose. Still, im predicting Ellenberger to outwork Shields on way to a decision.

Archived