UFC Fight Night 25: Shields vs Ellenberger Discussion Thread

David

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The promotion for this has been terrible, in fact I couldn't care anymore less about the main event if I tried. I'm leaning towards Ellenberger taking e decision on the basis of I'm not sure how Shields is going to cope after the death of his father and not having him ringside. I find Shields oneof the most dull fighters anyway, so the undercard especially the Belcher fight have me far more interested at this point.

• Paid Members

I'll be watching Mayweather/Ortiz live tonight so I'll have to catch this tomorrow. Looks the weakest line up this year on paper but I think this could be a fun little show. Got a feeling Brookins/Koch and Belcher/MacDonald will deliver.

I think people will instantly pick the TUF winners but they've got tough night...

* McGee is no doubt tough but if he stands in front of Yang he might get dropped, Yang has a high KO ratio and Court McGee has shown in the past that he's easy to hit.

* Jonathon Brookins again is tough but seems easy to hit, and he's fighting a guy with a submission background who's coming off two massive KO wins. Koch might make a bit of a statement here against a popular opponent. I'd love to see Brookin's win though.

Yeah I've picked Yang and Koch both by KO/TKO. I think Koch in particular has some real potential. And like you say McGee seems to have a magnet for knuckles hidden in that beard. Yang could put him out. I've never really been that convinced by McGee to be honest.

The other main card fights I'm picking Ellenberger and Belcher by decision. Belcher/MacDonald is my pick for FOTN.

• Paid Members

judging by the muted reaction (everywhere, not just here)...it proves that Jake Shields just doesn't excite the fans, i don't think there's ever been such a high level figther to intice so little fan fare.

i think the show will deliver though, some good style matchups. The prelims are kinda filled with newcomers so im kinda interested to see how they play out, check out the new guys.

anyone know what time UK time the prelims are due to start?

judging by the muted reaction (everywhere, not just here)...it proves that Jake Shields just doesn't excite the fans, i don't think there's ever been such a high level figther to intice so little fan fare.

i think the show will deliver though, some good style matchups. The prelims are kinda filled with newcomers so im kinda interested to see how they play out, check out the new guys.

Jon Fitch comes close, Tim Slyvia has him beat, besides that you are bang on.

With the Mayweather fight on and the lack of interest, I dread the ratings this will do. Doubt Spike have advitised it much as well, with the UFC leaving.

• Paid Members

Jon Fitch comes close, Tim Slyvia has him beat, besides that you are bang on.

yeh thats the 3 right there. Sylvia did actually go through a stage of public adoration. When he first started wrecking folk in the UFC he was pretty popular, i think the last Arlovski fight ruined it for him.

I only got into MMA/UFC in 2005 at UFC 51, but I was always under the assumption the Sylvia hate started when he called out Fedor after beating Gan Magee, then exploded when he got busted for roids after that fight, I do know the Cabbage fight is held in high regard before that. The amount of threads I used to read about "that fat ugly bastard" or "crappy boxer shows how much UFC HW division is shit" back in the day was insane, fans didnt just love to hate him like Lesnar, Hughes and Ortiz they just wanted him to cease exsisting.

One thing that always stood out about him was that he was never the featured attraction on PPV when he fought for the title bar when he fought Couture, Tank Abbot was promoted above him for UFC 41 when he won the belt, Shamrock and Kimo not only was promoted more but also went on last and before him at UFC 48, and similar things happened with Ortiz going on after him in non-title matches.

When past it legends and non title matches go on after you are defending/fighting for the Heavyweight title, somthing must be wrong.

Facebook Prelims have started

First fight was average with Justin Edwards looking great for the first round but seemed to struggle by round 3

Excited to see some of the TUF alumni tonight especially Cody Mckenzie as you have to respect anyone that would rather be choked unconcious than tap out

• Paid Members

show was kinda average, if you watched the prelims you had a better show because the better fights were there. I'll add some stuff tomorrow cause im off to bed, but ill pipe in about the main evet...

It never got started, Ellenberger blew Shields away. People might point at Shields recent loss outside the cage but you can't deny that Ellenberger was f'n impressive. Shields has proven he's a tough muthafucker and considering some of the guys he's fought that haven't been able to finish him (at Middleweight too!) makes this a massive fever in the cap of Ellenberger.

Jake Ellenberger might just have put himself next in line? Im pretty sure the UFC will still try setting up a Diaz fight with the champion if he beats Penn, but if Penn beats Diaz i think they might throw Ellenberger in there next.

show was kinda average, if you watched the prelims you had a better show because the better fights were there. I'll add some stuff tomorrow cause im off to bed, but ill pipe in about the main evet...

It never got started, Ellenberger blew Shields away. People might point at Shields recent loss outside the cage but you can't deny that Ellenberger was f'n impressive. Shields has proven he's a tough muthafucker and considering some of the guys he's fought that haven't been able to finish him (at Middleweight too!) makes this a massive fever in the cap of Ellenberger.

Jake Ellenberger might just have put himself next in line? Im pretty sure the UFC will still try setting up a Diaz fight with the champion if he beats Penn, but if Penn beats Diaz i think they might throw Ellenberger in there next.

There's a couple of potential fights for him.

He'll no doubt want to rematch Carlos Condit if he loses to GSP, but I'd like to see him face Rory McDonald, both are on a bit of a tear so that could be a good fight. I also think he'd match up well with John Fitch.

Archived