WWE & TNA Commentators/Announcers - why so shit?

Dirty Eddie

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've always thought Hayes to be terrific on commentary, from Mid-South upto doing International Heat on Channel 4.

This. Hayes was fantastic in both the UWF and the NWA when he was working alongside Jim Ross. I am two weeks shy of finishing the NWA World Championship Wrestling set from 1989, and Ross had several color commentators working alongside him for the year and Hayes was the best of the bunch (and that includes Cornette).

In what limited TNA I have watched over the part few weeks, Taz is far worse than Tenay, and I'm no Tenay fan. Like many, Taz just appears to be going through the motions and picking up his pay cheque; next time he is on, count how many times he says 'oh my God' during a match, it'll be a minimum three and it's not even in a catchphrase way like with Joey Styles. Plus, don't get me started on his ridiculous, faux, hammy excitement when Velvet Sky comes out and enters the ring, far worse than the King screaming 'puppies' ever was.

I would love for a Tony.S return. Loved his voice on WCW programming. Scott Hudson was good as well.

• Paid Members
This. Hayes was fantastic in both the UWF and the NWA when he was working alongside Jim Ross. I am two weeks shy of finishing the NWA World Championship Wrestling set from 1989, and Ross had several color commentators working alongside him for the year and Hayes was the best of the bunch (and that includes Cornette).

In what limited TNA I have watched over the part few weeks, Taz is far worse than Tenay, and I'm no Tenay fan. Like many, Taz just appears to be going through the motions and picking up his pay cheque; next time he is on, count how many times he says 'oh my God' during a match, it'll be a minimum three and it's not even in a catchphrase way like with Joey Styles. Plus, don't get me started on his ridiculous, faux, hammy excitement when Velvet Sky comes out and enters the ring, far worse than the King screaming 'puppies' ever was.

NOT FUCKING POSSIBLE :p

• Paid Members

I'm surprised WWE don't see the serious problem with their announce teams. Apparently McMahon LIKES the "street perspective" Booker T gives on Smackdown, thinking it makes the show like nothing else on TV. Booker can be funny, but not in an intentional way, and he has the tendency to ruin big moments. In fact, the interaction between all the announcers on Smackdown seems to achieve that. Cole's the worst culprit on both shows, I'm starting to find him impossible to tolerate. He can be quite funny, but he takes away from the actual product as it stands.

Good to see Scott Stanford mentioned - he's very good in an 'old-school' commentator style. It's just a little touch but I love when he says to Josh (words to the effect of) ' I was talking earlier to ...' then he mentions the wrestler and puts over their character. As good as I think Stanford is I don't think the WWE see him as a lead commentator on Raw as HE DOESN'T SHOUT AT HIS AUDIENCE OR SPOUT 'VINTAGE' THIS OR 'LONGEST RUNNING' THAT.

I liked Michael Cole to begin with as a heel commentator as I thought it gave him the opportunity to develop a character. However, it is his inconsistency which hurts the commenatry. He slates Daniel Bryan at MITB and then puts Bryan over for winning in the end. Could you imagine Bobby Heenan slating Hulk Hogan during the Royal Rumble '91 and saying 'Well done' when he won in the end?

• Paid Members

I want to see any commentator on WWE that criticizes somebody's abdominal stretch for not getting the toe around his opponents leg, or not getting up on the balls of the feet when doing a backslide.

Actually, I just want to see more backslides.

On a side note, am I the only one who thinks that Christy Hemme is horrible doing the ring announcements? I understand the eye candy but come on ... she almost as horrible as Tiffany was in FCW. Forget about the experience of doing something in front of / working with an audience, I want a good ringannouncer!

In the YouTube topic I came across THIS clip where Finkel is absolutely brilliant. I just can't stand Justin Roberts with his JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN CENAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA line. Get Chimmel on Raw!! RANT OVER! ;-)

• Paid Members
I want to see any commentator on WWE that criticizes somebody's abdominal stretch for not getting the toe around his opponents leg, or not getting up on the balls of the feet when doing a backslide.

Or telling wrestlers off for doing a surfboard because their shoulders could be pinned.

Archived