WWE & TNA Commentators/Announcers - why so shit?

Dirty Eddie

• Paid Members
Tom Pritchard was pretty good too, in fact I think he's pretty under-rated all around. I remember a great match between him and Bret Hart back in about 94 ish.

I enjoy Regal commentating on NXT but in no way whatsoever would it translate well to either RAW or Smackdown. He's far, far too quiet and reserved. I enjoy his little bits of info and his silly jokes, but the style is all wrong for WWE's main shows. Shame.

I feel Regal could contribute occasionaly like what WCW used to do with Mike Tenay when the Luchadores were out there and Big Tone was busy talking about the nWo and the Brain was too smashed to do his jokes in order.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I feel Regal could contribute occasionaly like what WCW used to do with Mike Tenay when the Luchadores were out there and Big Tone was busy talking about the nWo and the Brain was too smashed to do his jokes in order.

Yeah, that could work in theory, but the way things are at the moment, you simply wouldn't hear the bloke over Cole's bitching.

They toned Cole right back after he finally lost to Lawler and apologized, but it lasted about 2 weeks before he returned to the same level.

Booker actually ruins bits of wrestling for me. His silliness is fine in some throw-away midcard match, but when he goes into his super deep voiced "OH MAAAH GAWWWD" schtick it just makes me laugh at him during important matches, and so I don't react the way I should to the thing he is supposed to be highlighting. It's like that tool that used to commentate for (I think) XPW, who'd do a high-pitched "WAAAAAAAAAH" when there was a big highspot. He just ruined the moment every time with his shitness.

• Moderators
Superstars sometimes housed the bizarre combination of Kevin Kelly, Michael Cole and an attitude era annoucing Gorilla Monsoon.

Monsoon being subtly heel as well as WWF President standing up for McMahon behind the desk.

• Paid Members
Yeah, that could work in theory, but the way things are at the moment, you simply wouldn't hear the bloke over Cole's bitching.

They toned Cole right back after he finally lost to Lawler and apologized, but it lasted about 2 weeks before he returned to the same level.

Booker actually ruins bits of wrestling for me. His silliness is fine in some throw-away midcard match, but when he goes into his super deep voiced "OH MAAAH GAWWWD" schtick it just makes me laugh at him during important matches, and so I don't react the way I should to the thing he is supposed to be highlighting. It's like that tool that used to commentate for (I think) XPW, who'd do a high-pitched "WAAAAAAAAAH" when there was a big highspot. He just ruined the moment every time with his shitness.

I know Booker rolls over and dies for Michaels bitching, somehow Regal isn't the character to be told he's stupid and shut up by Michael Cole.

Rockin Robin Vs Judy Martin

Why have I linked that of all matches? Because it contains a lovely underated commentary performance from Jess and the Gorilla, as well as a drunk/nervous or high Sherri Martel. Well worth it for both men bickering without shouting and Jesse calling Monsoon on all his bullshit and Gorilla's bullshit yet great comebacks for Jess logic. Rumble 89 is probably Jess and Gorilla's most underated commentary performance.

• Paid Members
Monsoon being subtly heel as well as WWF President standing up for McMahon behind the desk.

He was old school WWF and did shit by the book plus Austin treated Gorilla like shit during his early 97 run. Shuda been careful should Steve-O, Monsoon could still twat people about. He give Vader a good few licks on RAW I recall.

Completely ignoring the match that is taking place right in front of them & instead trying to sell (poorly) what has already been sold through countless 'raw rewinds' etc... Is the no. 2 offence

But what I absolutey can not stand is the need for every commentator to be a character in the show - what made it special when they used to become involved was it was unusual; the commentary team were on our side of 'the 4th wall'

Combine the two & the program is basically saying to the audience that what is happening in the ring right now is not important (and this even happens quite often in title matches)

Something that majorly bugs me about Booker T's commentary is that whenever he is calling a midcard match featuring guys like Kofi, Barrett, Slater, Swagger etc he always emphasises that they COULD be future main eventers, or potentially make a splash and be big names and things of this nature. I know JR would give a rub to Jericho, Angle and Benoit around 2000 saying how talented they were and that they could be future champions but Booker talks about a lot of guys like they aren't important to the company whatsoever. A casual fan could watch a Kofi Kingston match and hear Booker harping on about how he should get serious, stop dancing and try and get to the next level and then see him get beat.

I don't see Booker T's commentary as being remotely constructive to any WWE stars progress unless they are already a major star. Guys like Kofi should be treated like stars regardless of whether he is competing for the US title or the World Title. The fact that the wrestlers are dubbed 'superstars' is to establish the point that they are on an international platform and drawing a clear divide between who deserves to be at the top and who doesn't diminishes the importance of so much of the roster.

Although I agree with most of the criticism of the announcers, there is really noboddy else available for full time commentary. The only alternative I can think of which somebody brushed on earlier was mix the announce desk up. So dont use JR each week maybe 1 in 4. Change between Matthews/ Cole/ Grisham/ Booker / Lawler and other "guests" each week on both shows to keep it fresh. People like Regal can then be used on main shows, even wrestlers who are between feuds could do the occasional Raw or hour just to keep them doing something

Thing is, are we actually discussing who we like/would like to see behind the desk or admitting the truth? That being the shackles are firmly on by Vince. You don't suddenly become less funny (Lawler's case), as I read somewhere else (probably on here) there was a discussion between Lawler/Styles/Tazz whereby Joey and Tazz were baiting Lawler about the Lephracorn on SmackDown and that he should "watch the product" if he's no idea what they're talking about. Lawler's reply (to Tazz) was brilliant, something along the lines of "I thought you were the only Lephracorn on SmackDown, Tazz?". From that line alone I can see that a little freedom could allow Lawler to have somewhat of a return to former glory, not on a whole but at least 'Lawler 1997 lite'.

Michael Cole, surely this new (well, of the last 8-9 months) persona was someone seeing his 'hilarious' character from those shitty WWE.com murder mystery webisodes, liking it and blowing it up to a ridiculous level. And Cole accepting his new role as Vince's 'on-air, verbal diatribe machine' is only doing what his employer asks of him?

JR, catch 22 situation. As he's stated so often he genuinely loves announcing and to do that has accepted he's gotta be the butt of Vince's jokes. It doesn't make it right but he accepts it, therefore until Vince wants to get rid of him again for daring to be effected by Bell's Palsey on numerous occasions thus disfiguring his face somewhat. Knowing Vince's penchant for younger looking, (handsomer) faces calling the action and his Bullying campaign surely he's screwed himself in the removal of JR from the announce desk? Stalemate.

While I'd say some have gotten lazier, it's not fair to lay blame squarely at the feet of these people. They are merely doing their job and as long as Vince likes the direction that his commentary team is on, it sadly isn't gonna change anytime soon.

Personally, i'd love to see big Tone back leading perhaps on SmackDown, give Booker T the Mongo role and have a Brain/Lawler esque figure to play off of them. Unfortunately I only see Lawler who could possibly pull it off. But that's a fantasy booking scenario. I like the idea of adding, or at least trying Edge out on the announce desk. He's nowhere near as unintelligible as Booker so could actually relay information to the viewer rather well. Only downside is, i'm old school and like my color commentators to be heelish to a minimal degree at least, riding the crest of a wave that is Edge's emotional forced retirement would he be accepted instantaneously as heel commentator without some altercation that leads to that role? I highly doubt it, and respect to Edge but i'm not certain TV time should be squandered to explain a commentators new found alliegances.

• Paid Members
Personally, i'd love to see big Tone back leading perhaps on SmackDown

Thank you. Its never going to happen, but Tony's the type of announcer I'd imagine WWE would love in 2011. He does what he's told, he hypes the product (even at the expense of the quality of his commentary) and he's was always well in with the power players. If JR wasnt head of talent in 2001, and was set against hiring him (and Tenay as well), I always thought he'd be perfect for WWE. He was great the last time he was in WWF, but Vince and Monsoon were also going to be ahead of them due to their power.

• Paid Members

Schiavone would be an interesting addition these days. As mentioned before (by Ian I think), he had a beautiful tone of voice and wasn't bad when he worked with Ventura. From 1998 onwards, he was a bullshit machine who sounded like he couldn't be arsed. It'd be interesting to know if that was WCW grinding him down or just what he had become.

I like Matt Striker. I can't understand why they took him off announcing duty. Sure he had some flaws but he also had a million percent more [Alan Hansen] passion and desire [/Alan Hansen] than the other commentators put together. he wanted to engage the audience, he wanted to tell the backstory and he wanted to get the facets of each wrestler over and did it without shitting on anyone. If they'd toned down the nerdiness and the stuff he blatantly made up, they'd have the best commentator in the company.

As for what you can do going forward, I actually think Michael Cole will settle into a role as a genuinely good PBP guy. I just don't see where the next Ventura/Heenan/Lawler is coming from. I'd love to hear someone like Kevin Nash giving it a go. He seems naturally quick witted and he's obviously a confident talker. Personally, I'd abandon the separate commentary teams. I don't see any particular need for them.

As someone alluded to on the RAW thread, the favouritism Lawler continually shows to his mate 'John' has gone beyond annoying these days, and almost seems heelish in the bias he shows (his attitude to Cena is as bad as Cole's to Miz). On this note, the patronising rubbish he comes out with about fans who boo Cena and cheer heels being 'brainwashed' is equally annoying, although that likely has Vince's fingerprints all over it.

Really, I'd just like the chance to listen to someone who actually seems informed and educated about the business again. They've never had a commentator to measure up to JBL since he left, and I'd love to see them move heaven and earth to get him back. I could sit through the most boring, mundane match (and there were a lot of them on Smackdown) to listen to JBL's insights.

• Paid Members

Foley, JBL and Tazz. All were fine 'colour' guys but WWE scared them off. There is clearly talent out there but 99% of them can't be arsed with Vince shouting at them for two/four hours a show.

I did think Raw commentary was much better this week.

Archived