WWE & TNA Commentators/Announcers - why so shit?

Dirty Eddie

So, Gladstone_Small and ian_hitmanhart brought up that the announcers in WWE are really shit at the moment, and there was talk of it being thread-worthy. So here we are...

I'm fully in agreement, that the state of commentators is really poor at the moment. in WWE we have -

Jerry Lawler - who has been peddling the same flavour crap for what feels like forever. A great, funny, quick-witted heel announcer back in the day, but ever since his real-life friendship with JR became an onscreen 'fact' he has been a dull Face character, shooting out the same tired gags from the 80s.

Michael Cole - his heel turn was a potentially great idea that seemed to work out at first, but this has lead to Cole becoming an over-the-top, annoying prick. Ruining the flow of matches, ignoring reason and generally talking over people. This isn't helped by the facts that he is clearly still being told to be a cock to Jim Ross, and he can't have any proper banter with Booker, because Booker is too stupid. I feel they have jumped the shark with Heel Cole. His burial of Daniel Bryan is seriously hurting the bloke's chances.

Booker T - the man who is clearly sitting in Kevin Nash's rightful chair. Possibly the thickest man to ever sit in an announcer's chair for WWE on a full-time basis. Hilarious at times for all the wrong reasons. Gets ripped to shreds by Cole every time they talk.

Jim Ross - we all know who he is, but if they have just brought him back so they can fuck up more of his hats and call him a fasto, what's the point? Bloke can't get a word in edgeways. Whoever picked Booker T over him for Summerslam is an idiot.

Mike Tenay - Mr Cliche, yes, it's Professor Mike Tenay, who, yes, that's right, will continue to read from, yes, indeed, his script all night long Taz. The gurn-machine is passable in my books, but his constant stating of the obvious (with added yes's before and after) is tiresome. His delivery is either blatant reciting of lines, or horrid over the top fake anger. He does seem to know what he's on about most of the time though, which is something, I guess!

Taz - I like Taz. Yeah, he talks some complete bollocks, but when needed to (during Angle matches in particular) he is very good at actual play-by-play. The rest of the time he seems to be clearly having fun, which is a refreshing change from a lot of on-air characters.

So overall, not the best bunch, though the way they work (Cole's overbearing Heel act, Lawler's dull Face routine) plays a big part in the shitness.

What do you think? There was a point where I enjoyed Cole a lot, but it's too much, all the time now. Likewise, i still see a place for JR, but he's being wasted.

Who else out there deserves a shot?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they dont call the action, they are always talking about something else, even if it is linked to one of the people in the match it is almost always talking about an angle they have coming up or a match at the next pay per view. Nobody is dealing with the present.

• Paid Members

It's a shame they can't clone CM Punk. He was not only excellent but a refreshing change to the standard commentary of the time.

Meltzer had a moan about this on his latest show. Apparently WWE see no problem with how Cole is acting, which is worrying.

I agree JR being there is hurting things more, as all Vince wants to do is take the piss and in doing so ignores most of the product. I'd actually get Josh Matthews on Raw, he's the only guy who doesn't seem bored/stupid/bullied/irritating.

• Paid Members

Heel Cole really has become unbearable. For what it's worth I'm actually starting to enjoy Booker T though- he's completely fucking nuts, but at least he brings some character to SmackDown. I suppose I'm enjoying him for being rubbish though, so I don't know whether that's a good thing or not.

I still believe JR and Lawler are the best in the business (not that there is any competition), but Raw has become the Michael Cole show this year and his constant verbal assaults on JR serve ZERO purpose and only serve to detract from the show.

Josh Mathews and Todd "The Grish" Grisham don't get enough credit, I think they're great. They sound even better when Michael Cole is in his super-annoying mode because he overdoes it far too often. Booker T did my head in at first but I'm really warming to him now - he's rubbish, but that's the charm. He's not rubbish in a Mike Adamle way.

• Paid Members
HPIM0399.JPG

That's the man WWE need behind the desk.

I fucking love P.S. back in his WCW days and even handsome Doc but I fucking loathed the man when he did the weekend shows on Sky at midday.

I have to say I don't find Booker annoying to listen to, his shitness is endearing, his voice also works. It's like a guy watching it on his sofa totally worked up with what he's watching rather than an announcer.

Michael Cole's Daniel Bryan hate used to be great as a crux for Bryan shoving it MC's face when he beat The Miz finally but now Cole is like when a guy in a TNA promo leaves a gap for pause and Mike Tenay and Don West used to jump in to say something obvious to ruin a promo mid flow. Cole just shouting "boring" when Bryan pauses on a sentence is really off putting.

Hayes was pretty naff on commentary back in the day, though in his defense he was probably trying to be a bit like Vince McMahon (to impress Vince McMahon).

I preferred Kevin Kelly on the weekend shows, and Cornette was better than the both of them.

Heyman and JBL would be the guys I'd be after, though Heyman won't likely ever be back there! I think JBL would be worth haggling with though.

• Moderators

I've always thought Hayes to be terrific on commentary, from Mid-South upto doing International Heat on Channel 4.

Speaking of midday shows on sky, I always loved the mental combination of Terry Taylor and Dr Tom Pritchard on one of them.

• Paid Members
I've always thought Hayes to be terrific on commentary, from Mid-South upto doing International Heat on Channel 4.

Speaking of midday shows on sky, I always loved the mental combination of Terry Taylor and Dr Tom Pritchard on one of them.

Superstars sometimes housed the bizarre combination of Kevin Kelly, Michael Cole and an attitude era annoucing Gorilla Monsoon.

Tom Pritchard was pretty good too, in fact I think he's pretty under-rated all around. I remember a great match between him and Bret Hart back in about 94 ish.

I enjoy Regal commentating on NXT but in no way whatsoever would it translate well to either RAW or Smackdown. He's far, far too quiet and reserved. I enjoy his little bits of info and his silly jokes, but the style is all wrong for WWE's main shows. Shame.

• Paid Members

Fuck it, I want Zbyszko back, I loved Larry on commentary.

It doesn't have to be difficult for the WWE. Move Cole off Raw. Turn Lawler heel again. Put JR back in the hot seat. If they need a more 'modern' guy, how about giving Edge a go on commentary in a three man team? Or is that a shit idea?

I just don't think you can have the main guy being a heel. I thought Cole was toning it down a bit, but he fucking ruined Del Rio v Bryan. He's just counter-productive now and I want him to fuck off.

Archived