WWE Tag Team Division Discussion

Jason Mayhem

1. Why don't WWE bother with a proper tag division any more?

2. Would you like to see one??

I think the majority of wrestling fans would love to see a proper tag division, so take me back to question 1.... why don't WWE bother with it??

I suppose it's likely something to do with the fact that they are unable, even with 5 hours a week of programming to put any emphersis on anything other than their main event, but that's just my guess.

Over to you!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wwe dont push anything that doesnt already make money. The tag team is dead therefore dangerous waters. And they dont like of pushing it because the small amount of tag matches we do get we hate because they are crap! Therefore the wwe dont see us reacting all too well then they push it better...but we properly would. Its a catch 22 we hate the shit they do know in the division and they hate the idea of trying to build on it.

I have been watching a lot of 'Smackdown Six' (Los Guerreros, Benoit, Angle, Mysterio, Edge) from 2002/2003 lately and I have to say I miss the days when there was a proper tag division. The teams of Angle/Benoit, Guerreros and Edge/Mysterio put on so many blinding matches back then, were all over and had storylines/feuds going on. The Benoit/Angle vs Edge/Mysterio matches from No Mercy 2002 and the Smackdown! 2/3 falls are absolutely first class 20+ minuts affairs and the Guerreros were tearing it up as well on a weekly basis even with inferior teams like Cena/B2 and The Bashams.

I have to mention Team Angle/WGTT as well from this period as they were also producing belters.

I have been watching a lot of 'Smackdown Six' (Los Guerreros, Benoit, Angle, Mysterio, Edge) from 2002/2003 lately and I have to say I miss the days when there was a proper tag division. The teams of Angle/Benoit, Guerreros and Edge/Mysterio put on so many blinding matches back then, were all over and had storylines/feuds going on. The Benoit/Angle vs Edge/Mysterio matches from No Mercy 2002 and the Smackdown! 2/3 falls are absolutely first class 20+ minuts affairs and the Guerreros were tearing it up as well on a weekly basis even with inferior teams like Cena/B2 and The Bashams.

I have to mention Team Angle/WGTT as well from this period as they were also producing belters.

Agreed, so why don't they give a fuck about the tag division now?? Used to be great entertainment.

Agreed, so why don't they give a fuck about the tag division now?? Used to be great entertainment.

It's not something I could give you an answer for mate. I would guess they see it as a distraction from the main feuds and also as a way to continue feuds by booking two singles matches into a tag match (CM Punk/Dolph Ziggler vs Alex Riley/John Cena) for example.

only one of the guys u mentioned works for the wwe still...and rey is only there now days because the kids love him and make money. If the wwe didnt start throwing stupid teams together maybe it would still be good. And splitting teams has a bad idea (Cryme Tyme and the hart dynasty) they need to invest in more people the usos and not the nexus crap

• Paid Members

I was watching one of the late 80's Survivor Series the other tag with the 20 man tag matches - now that was a stacked tag division. Are there even ten tag teams in WWE these days?

They don't really have the talent to do that nowadays though. In 2002 you had plenty of genuine main event superstars to allow the likes of Angle and Benoit to drop down to the midcard for a few months, and have 6 great talents involved in the one feud. Chavo aside, If all those guys were around today, they couldn't really afford to do that with them, they would be too important.

I agree with the general point though, tag team wrestling has given us so much good stuff throughout the 80s, 90s and into the early part of the 00s. It's a shame they've totally killed it. I don't have any of the answers, i'd just like to see the division back, and with dedicated teams, not just individuals thrown together.

The roster split isn't really condusive to the division either. Rosters are too small now and each one has their World and IC title equivalents. That's 4 singles titles of greater prestige than the tag belts. Beforehand, it was the 3rd biggest accolade in the company. In that kind of environment, it's a bit difficult to attach much importance to the titles, and thus the teams. So it looks like they've just given up.

• Paid Members

From the sole perspective of someone who enjoys watching wrestling, yeah, i would love to see a proper tag team division.

The last time it was at its best IMO, was around the dudleys/hardys/E&C feud. Theres been a few brilliant tag teams since then, but that was the last time i though the division as a whole was at its peak, leading up to that you had the outlaws, Kane & Xpac, Owen & Jeff, Holly & Crash etc etc. Im not craving for it to be as amazing as that, but im a fan of tag team wresting and it would create some need varirty.

With start up new teams, we could see the recreation of the long lost 'manager'. I would love to see numerous managers back on TV, it clearly works, Vicky G is the perfect example.

Im guessing its not pushed in the training school either? i may be wrong, but i doubt it.

• Paid Members

There was a revival in tag team wrestling a couple of years ago, or at least an attempt at one. It was called DX. I know a big bunch of people just look at them as another case of "Two main eventers stuck together", but they really kicked some life into the division for me, had some fantastic matches against a decent range of teams, and made the tag division feel more important than it had for a LOOOONG time. I'm sure there was even a couple of tag title matches that finished ppv's during that time (although I can't think of any off the top of my head).

It just didn't stick..

• Paid Members
There was a revival in tag team wrestling a couple of years ago, or at least an attempt at one. It was called DX. I know a big bunch of people just look at them as another case of "Two main eventers stuck together", but they really kicked some life into the division for me, had some fantastic matches against a decent range of teams, and made the tag division feel more important than it had for a LOOOONG time. I'm sure there was even a couple of tag title matches that finished ppv's during that time (although I can't think of any off the top of my head).

It just didn't stick..

It worked for merch, looooaaaddddsss of DX stuff at live events and clearly seen on TV. But it never felt like a tag team to me, it just seemed like HHH and HBK knocking about together, i know it sounds daft, but it just didnt seem like a tag team. They seemed far to BIG for the division, thats maybe it.

I dont even need to have mega stars joing together, just as long as you have a selection of teams that can happily face each other and each team has a reasonable chance of winning and lifting the belts. I thought the team of Santino and Kozlov were spot on to be honest, but they were surrounded by teams that wernt on the same level in terms of enjoyability.

Hell in a Cell 2009 vs Legacy, and TLC 2009 vs JeriShow. DX 2009 was brilliant, as were Jericho and Big Show (and Big Show and Miz were really good as well). The problem was the few "proper" tag teams like Cryme Tyme and Hart Dynasty were shit and nobody bought them as anywhere near the level of the superteams.

• Paid Members
Hell in a Cell 2009 vs Legacy, and TLC 2009 vs JeriShow. DX 2009 was brilliant, as were Jericho and Big Show (and Big Show and Miz were really good as well). The problem was the few "proper" tag teams like Cryme Tyme and Hart Dynasty were shit and nobody bought them as anywhere near the level of the superteams.

nail on the head

• Paid Members

Nah, Jeri-Show was the revival of the tag team division a few years ago. They were a proper tag team too and one of my favourites ever. They never had a bad match and the dynamic of loud mouth coward Jericho and monster take no shit Show was excellent. To think people shat on it when Big Show was revealed as the replacement for Edge.

When DX turned up it meant they became the focus and Jeri-Show soon split. Which was pap, as Jeri-Show were far superior.

I don't think we'll ever see a proper tag team division in WWE again to be fair, never to the extent of what it was back in the 90's. I'm sure Vince has been quoted as saying he doesn't see the point in paying for 2 guys wages, flights and accomodation when he could just pay for 1, or something along those lines if anybody can find the quote.

Archived