Raw 02/08/11

d-d-d-dAz

So, yeah, it was alright.

I'm perfectly entranced by the Triple H/CM Punk/John Cena dynamic (i'm as convinced as I ever was that H is screwing Punk at SS); John Laurinitis voice is hilarious and, erm, that's about it.

WWE seriously needs to learn to better share their workload amongst the writers, currently I imagine there all writing stuff for the main event, whilst a bunch of monkeys with typewriters (okay, different monkeys and different typewriters) spew out a bunch of unimportant, rehashed stuff for the midcard.

...CM Punk should play with Hunters tie each week.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

J.R being brought back seems to have dragged Cole back a couple of months. I hate his schtick.

The best thing you could say about last nights Raw was also its biggest draw back, it was very sensible. It gave a sensible answer as to why Punk re-signed, why Hunter re-signed him and to how they're going to resolve the situation. The only thing I don't particularly think makes sense is Cena being convinced he's the legitimate champion, it makes him look like such a goof ball. I think it would have been much more in tune with Cena's character if Triple H had made the announcement, only for Cena to say that last week he didn't win the title but the right to get his title back. Finish the show with Cena chucking his belt at Punk's feet, whilst Punk raises his title.

That said, it was a very logical show, that motored the whole product along towards Summerslam. Unfortunately, that's not very exciting.

The best bits were, like I said before, CM Punk playing with H's tie, Punk doing the Hunter Hearst Helmsley bow and Triple H saying the truest words ever spoke; Stephanie in-jokes really are last decade...

The best thing you could say about last nights Raw was also its biggest draw back, it was very sensible. It gave a sensible answer as to why Punk re-signed, why Hunter re-signed him and to how they're going to resolve the situation. The only thing I don't particularly think makes sense is Cena being convinced he's the legitimate champion, it makes him look like such a goof ball. I think it would have been much more in tune with Cena's character if Triple H had made the announcement, only for Cena to say that last week he didn't win the title but the right to get his title back. Finish the show with Cena chucking his belt at Punk's feet, whilst Punk raises his title.

The only thing I can possibly think of as to why Cena acted in this manner is that they're finally going to press on with his heel turn. I agree and hope to fuckery that your original post is correct - HHH costs Punk the title and Cena becomes the new corporate champion.

I can't for a minute see Cena turning heel, and i'm not sure that I want him too either.

He already gets booed out of the building in a tonne of arenas, particularly when up against someone with genuine credibility (be that mainstream, or 'internet'). Turning him heel would only serve to alienate the portion of an audience already not alienated to him, the portion of the audience who have probably kept wweshop.com in business for the last five years.

As it is, against a Rock or someone of that ilk, he's already going to get shat on. Turning him heel won't really alter the dynamic in any appreciable way, except to perhaps lose the interest of the kids, and their parents, who aren't aware of The Rocks run as a wrestler.

The Crowd was strange last night. I'm convinced that large groups of people who booed Cena on his entrance and during his promo were cheering him over Punk at the end; it's the only way to explain his massive reaction at the end.

I didn't like the show much, it was quite dull. I assume everyone on the planet who watches WWE knew that at Summerslam we'd have Punk v Cena for the title to settle the issue. That was ALWAYS going to happen and it would be obvious to even the kids in the audiences that don't use the internet. So they spent a whole two hours of the show bigging up Triple H's decision on how he was going to deal with having two WWE Champs, and instead of a twist anywhere or at least a gimmick for the match being made, we hear that...it's going to be Punk v Cena for the title at Summerslam. That was a massive waste of time if you ask me.

As for the rest of the show, I hope Beth becomes a monster again; Cole sounds even worse now because of JR's restraint; seemed to me that The Miz could be turning face soon (which would make sense if Cena did become Trips' corporate champion although I'm not yet convinced that will happen); Otunga and McGillicutty are the pits, bring Husky Harris and Skip Sheffield in to take their place!; And Riley v Ziggler is at least something new, and I liked Ziggler complaining as he walked away, "I don't even know who you are!"

The only thing I can possibly think of as to why Cena acted in this manner is that they're finally going to press on with his heel turn. I agree and hope to fuckery that your original post is correct - HHH costs Punk the title and Cena becomes the new corporate champion.

I think it's especially strange considering Cena's title win itself was a heap of shit, beating Mysterio after he'd had a long match that night and competed in a tournament the week before. In kayfabe terms, he was definitely the beneficiary of favouritism there, and it seemed at odds with his goody two shoes, everything by the book persona.

That said, I don't think Cena is turning as soon as Summerslam, though I hope they continue to muddy the waters with his character and keep him, Punk and HHH in the same mix for a good few months yet. I can't put into words how flat a straightforward Cena/Del Rio title feud after Summerslam would seem after this.

Building this storyline slowly and turning Cena heel and making him corporate champion would help continue this feud between Punk/Cena & HHH. It would also continue the new fresh approach WWE seem to be trying right now.

It could run and run. I really feel a heel Cena/HHH combination could really work.

Punk and Cena could easily feud to the end of this year, slowly leading to HHH/Punk and Cena/Rock at next years Mania.

• Paid Members

I've got a funny feeling that Cena will be the one on the end of the ol' screwjob at SummerSlam, courtesy of HHH, but that's probably just the synical wrestling fan in me, along with my "swerve-radar" which was planted in my mind after a lifetime of watching wrestling and fine-tuned during the Russo era.

HHH turning heel could possibly lead to Vince's dramatic babyface return and entering a feud with HHH over the leadership of the company with the wrestlers having to choose sides, which would enevitably come down to a match between the two, or a Survivor Series style tag match with each guy captaining the teams. Keeping in kayfabe terms with that angle, towards the end of it, the guys who sided with Vince would all reluctantly go against him, because there's no way he can stay the future of the company, no matter what size grapefruits his knackers resemble. Ultimatley, it would end with Vince going out in a blaze of glory, maybe even at Wrestlemania, the night after he enters the Hall of Fame, leaving HHH (who had been booked more and more as being sympathetic and loving to Vince, in the weeks before the blow off) firmly as the on screen gaffa, getting the rub of all rubs from Vinnie Mac.

Well, it could fucking happen.... :blush::blush:

I would be absolutely, unequivocally heartbroken if the net result of this storyline was a feud between Vince McMahon and Triple H...

Yeah me too...

I enjoyed Raw, excellent 1st hour, 2nd hour was a bit dull with Otunga/McGuilicutty and Del Rio. Ricardo Rodriquez is far more interesting. I just can't belive they managed to be like "oooh whats going to happen when we've got 2 Champions etc" when clearly the World and his mum and the "WWE Universe" knows that a match at Summerslam was gonna happen, could have announced it at the start then continued the feud later on in the night, but ah well. It was an enjoyable show and Summerslam is shaping up pretty good anyway...

Oh and I forgot Beth was awesome, as was Dolph "I don't even know who you are"

...but for a new regime it sure feels a lot like the old one.

• Paid Members
I would be absolutely, unequivocally heartbroken if the net result of this storyline was a feud between Vince McMahon and Triple H...

Meltzer has stated that all feuds are now being used to get over "the family". So if that's the direction, they'll be using more of the family.

A decent Raw.

To me CM Punk has turned into just another part of the roster again. His promo only started getting 'edgy' when he decided to midly rip into Triple H, it was so mild though that I was underwhelmed. CM Punk needed a cracking promo and it was just alright (hopefully they have more ferocious stuff planned, as 'shooting' on Triple H for being a legit baw bag is still reasonable untapped). Achwell, at least we get CM Punk every week.

I'm not sure I'm liking Triple H as COO. I do, however, like his 'subtle' heel lines.

I wish WWE would make their mind up about John Cena. If he's going to be the kiddy PG guy (nowt wrong with that), then don't have him steal CM Punks 'insider' schtick. If he's going up against The Rock, don't turn him into a shit rapper again. For a guy that preaches about being yourself and all that, he doesn't half mind changing his tune when needed. It's my biggest gripe with Cena, he can be the good guy without WWE shitting the bed and having him suddenly change his character for a segment. He just comes across as someone screaming "LIKE ME!!" and as The Rock pointed out fake.

I thought the ending was cheesy. Lifting the belts while the music played, so rubbish. Cena got the louder reaction (although I'm not sure if it was because the boos were so loud).

Nice JR is back, but Cole really takes away all his good work.

Highlight of Raw was R-Truth calling Triple H, Mr. H's.

Man, that was a really negative review. I thought it was a decent Raw though. Just disappointed the way the CM Punk stuff is losing steam.

Archived