Raw 02/08/11

d-d-d-dAz

The back and forth between Triple H and Punk was fantastic until Trips said "skinny fat ass", it's a shame Punk no-sold that one.

That was so strange, and gained no response, that i'm now convinced that it must be a phrase in common usage in bodybuilding circles; like, you're smaller than me AND you're flabby.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I would be absolutely, unequivocally heartbroken if the net result of this storyline was a feud between Vince McMahon and Triple H...

In my sleezy imagination, I had Vince backing Cena as "his guy" to stay on top in the coming years, with Vinnie Mac telling everyone that Cena is what the WWE is all about in terms of Sports Entertainment. On the opposite side of the coin, HHH championing CM Punk, because he is a wrestler's wrestler and saw a lot of himself in Punk. Vince and HHH could just be the talking heads of the angle, with Punk and Cena doing the good work in the ring to keep the wheels on the angle.

Y'know, just a bit fantasy booking for fun. :blush:

That was so strange, and gained no response, that i'm now convinced that it must be a phrase in common usage in bodybuilding circles; like, you're smaller than me AND you're flabby.

Well, I'm really within the "bodybuilding community", all across the country more or less, and when I went to the gym this morning and on top of being a member of the gym for 10 years now, I also worked there so I got to know every single member, and what they were into etc, so I got to know 3 other long time regulars of that gym who were also long time wrestling fans like myself. Anyway I went to the gym and those were there and when Raw came into the conversation, it really wasn't long before "Skinny fat ass", and how fucking stupid it sounds, and how much of a shit put-down it is.

Ref. John Cena- Did my eyes deceive me or did I see a post on Twitter from the official WWE account asking fans to comment on whether they thought Cena's win over Rey last week was fair or not? I can't be arsed going back over the timeline to find out, but it seems too much of a random question to not have any bearing on things. Usually they just go on about how there's a new champ, what do the fans think, but to specifically sound out whether they thought him winning was fair is very strange to me.

I'm not suggesting they're looking at turning him heel but possibly this was a way of sounding out how such a turn would go over with the fans. There's been little mention since and I don't recall reading any retweets about the subject so I presume there's nothing to read into it. Just seemed unusual at the time.

About Raw- not seen it yet, so can't comment in detail but there has to be a 'comedown' episode at some point. And yes, the end result was very predictable, but there are only so many twists and turns you can fit in before your cup runs dry. Outside of everyone's fantasy booking I really don't see what else they could have done. They're building on the tension between Triple H and Punk, we have our main event for Summerslam, what more could we ask? Transitional is the word I'd use. They can now build towards Summerslam with more authority because the main issue has been given some resolution.

• Paid Members

Considering i watched the last two episodes of Raw based on people saying 'wow, it could be good again' style comments, this was the first Raw i've watched live in a few years. I'm glad i stayed up, i thought the chat Punk and HHH had at the start of the show was actually rather good and refreshing. Looking forward to next weeks show.

Cant believe I have actually just said that out loud.

• Paid Members

Cena shouldn't turn heel at Summerslam, it'd be a terrible waste. It's not just any turn, this is a turn for wrestling's biggest commodity for the last few years. This is something that needs time and a huge "I was there" style moment at a top location, i.e a Wrestlemania, or an event at MSG, something along those lines. Also, they need a top babyface to replace him in his current role and shift the same amount of merch, and as good as Punk is he just isn't that guy, at least right now.

Yeah, you're right. Of all the times that I've pondered upon a Cena heel turn, for it to happen at Summerslam would be an anti-climax and unnecessary.

- Cena to beat Punk at Summerslam, Del Rio to cash in on Cena and a Cena vs. Del Rio feud going on through the autumn. Cena will probably try to shift focus onto Wrestlemania too by saying he needs to beat Del Rio for the title and keep it through to Wrestlemania for the match against The Rock. The Rock has promised he'll be at Survivor Series too so focus will shift more towards Wrestlemania by then.

- I'd prefer Triple H/Punk to happen at Wrestlemania but I'm not sure how they'll last from Summerslam to Wrestlemania without facing off. On one hand, I'm expecting Triple H to beat Punk up to give Cena the win and kick-start the Triple H/Punk feud but it might seem heelish of Cena to win in that fashion.

- I keep having a recurring vision that Cena or Rock's going to get injured and the match won't happen at Wrestlemania as I'm going to Wrestlemania. I wonder what they'd do if that were the case.

- Overall, I thought Raw was good. Not as good as recent episodes but I wasn't expecting it to be. As someone said on here, it's like a transitional episode. They beat around the bush a lot about the match at Summerslam when everyone knew it was happening. It'd have been good to have cleared that up in the first segment but what would you do with the last segment?

- I imagine it's likely that Santino & Ryder will beat the tag champs at Summerslam. I'm surprised I never considered a Santino/Ryder tag team despite thinking that WWE should be using Ryder in a Santino role. Hopefully Otunga and McGillicutty are off Raw after dropping the tag titles.

- I have absolutely no interest in a Dolph Ziggler/Alex Riley feud. I'm guessing that's going to be at Summerslam too. As I said at the time, Riley was getting big reactions when he turned on The Miz but that was down to him being his sidekick for so long and Miz being over. I think it's going to be a real struggle for people to care about Riley now the Miz feud is over. I think he's more entertaining as a heel and seems forced as a face. His jock character stood out like a sore thumb in NXT.

Cena shouldn't turn heel at Summerslam, it'd be a terrible waste. It's not just any turn, this is a turn for wrestling's biggest commodity for the last few years. This is something that needs time and a huge "I was there" style moment at a top location, i.e a Wrestlemania, or an event at MSG, something along those lines. Also, they need a top babyface to replace him in his current role and shift the same amount of merch, and as good as Punk is he just isn't that guy, at least right now.

I do agree that it should be held off for a few months at least (ideally I'd turn him at or a few months prior to Wrestlemania), but I think Punk is the closest they're ever going to have to someone who can replace Cena as a legitimate #1 babyface. It will never be Orton, Morrison, Miz, or any of the others among the current crop, so they need to focus their attentions firmly on Punk. I haven't heard reactions like he's been getting recently in years, and they have to be so careful in how they book him over the coming months to keep that momentum building with him.

Perhaps more than this, I think the bottom line is that none of the current crop will ever shift merchandise like Cena does until they receive the sort of push that Cena's consistently had for the last 6-7 years - if they turn Punk full face but push him as a side attraction to Cena (as they have Orton in the past), it won't work. If they turn Cena and go firmly with Punk as their #1 face, it just might.

I do agree that it should be held off for a few months at least (ideally I'd turn him at or a few months prior to Wrestlemania), but I think Punk is the closest they're ever going to have to someone who can replace Cena as a legitimate #1 babyface. It will never be Orton, Morrison, Miz, or any of the others among the current crop, so they need to focus their attentions firmly on Punk. I haven't heard reactions like he's been getting recently in years, and they have to be so careful in how they book him over the coming months to keep that momentum building with him.

Perhaps more than this, I think the bottom line is that none of the current crop will ever shift merchandise like Cena does until they receive the sort of push that Cena's consistently had for the last 6-7 years - if they turn Punk full face but push him as a side attraction to Cena (as they have Orton in the past), it won't work. If they turn Cena and go firmly with Punk as their #1 face, it just might.

Sorry to go OT again but- cast your mind back to the Austin/Hart double Wrestlemania turn. We've established that Punk is getting over, so a win for Cena at Summerslam in the right circumstances (or wrong circumstances, depending on your point of view!) might be enough to make Punk the big babyface in the same way it did Austin. Only maybe, mind. The only issue here is Alberto Del Rio and where he'd fit in should Cena win. That's the only reason I don't see this as an option. Trouble is, as long as Cena stays face he'll still remain the number one babyface.

Also, I don't understand why Summerslam is being viewed as a minor PPV. Yes, it's not as big as Wrestlemania but there's seemingly enough going on there with Rock/Cena that having any turn happen there might be over egging things. Couple that with the fact that Rocky probably won't be back after WM, it may be a waste doing it there. Who would Cena feud with afterwards? Title or no title who would there be?

Oh, and how come last year virtually everyone was willing Cena to turn at Summerslam yet this year it would be an anti climax? At least there's more logic behind it possibly happening this year!

One final question- does the thing with Johnny Ace have more significance long term or was it just a way for Cena to get some cheap face heat? Didn't think anyone would be bothered enough to care about seeing him get owned by Cena again so seems a bit throw away to me unless there's more to it...

Once again I was irritated by the beardy camera guy, his trophy wife & emo kid getting front row opposite the hard camera.

It's an irrational hatred I admit, but the wife & kid never even seem to enjoy the shows. :angry:

The dumbest thing was the fact that, after Rey already 'followed that' the same night, Dolph now has to deal with Alex Riley who now thinks he can 'follow that'.

A man who lost clean to a one legged Miz in 4 minutes not a week ago...

this showed that CM punk still has boundaries because i was thinking ideal comeback 'yeah a natural skinny flabby body minus the help of needles'

Archived