Story filled matches

kamicazze

• Paid Members

HBK/Taker at WrestleMania 26 instantly comes to mind. HBK nearly killing himself to break the streak and Undertaker actually showing a moment compassion for Shawn, before ultimately putting him out of his misery.

I liked the ladder match between HHH and the Rock at Summerslam 98, one where the Rock spent most of the match destroying HHH's leg. I thought it was a good story for a ladder match.

Ted DiBiase vs Ric Flair also springs to mind

Brock Lesnar Vs Eddie Guerrero

The story of the cocky,arrogant Lesnar toying with Eddie only to grow increasingly frustrated when he couldn't put him away.His screams of 'Die Eddie,why won't you die' added to his sense of frustration.WWE made the right move by not having Eddie pin Lesnar afer Goldbergs interferance was the right one.For a moment you really thought that Eddie couldn't possibly beat Brock.I'm not ashamed to say that after Eddie had won the title,I shed a tear.

• Paid Members
Was this necessary? Apart from being a straw man (I don't think anyone on here would deny Beefcake's ever been in at least a few good matches), it reeks of grasping at reasons to goad for a fight. There's no need for it.

Straw man...?

I dunno, there are plenty of rational posters on here, but I couldn't help the feeling of one or two jumping straight in with "Beefcake?!1? He was TEH SUCK" and "he only got work because of Hogan" etc.

Back on topic, your choice of Valentine vs. Garvin is a superb example in particular - it's one of my absolute favourite feuds ever. I loved the whole concept of not only Valentine using the Heartbreaker, but the brilliant counter of Garvin's Hammer Jammer. It didn't hurt that both guys really made it look like they detested each other and went hell for leather.

The thing that I especially loved about the match on top of being the ender of a bitter-feud, was the way that in the beginning the crowd weren't especially that bothered, but by the end of it were well into it. That's a testament to the storytelling that took place between opening bell and the end.

In a similar vein, the crowd went positively mild when D-Bryan came out at Night of Champions, but rabid when he actually put Miz down. The boys must have put together something pretty special. Sure, Bryan will have got most of the plaudits in some camps, but it takes two to tango. You need a great dickhead at times, and Miz is one.

• Paid Members
Straw man...?

I dunno, there are plenty of rational posters on here, but I couldn't help the feeling of one or two jumping straight in with "Beefcake?!1? He was TEH SUCK" and "he only got work because of Hogan" etc.

Maybe so, and I'll be honest - I'm of that opinion of him too. But I'm sure you've found that there are plenty of people on here who give credit where it's due, and yes, despite my reservations concerning Beefcake, he's had a hand in some great storytelling - even a broken clock hits the right time twice a day.

The thing that I especially loved about the match on top of being the ender of a bitter-feud, was the way that in the beginning the crowd weren't especially that bothered, but by the end of it were well into it. That's a testament to the storytelling that took place between opening bell and the end.

In a similar vein, the crowd went positively mild when D-Bryan came out at Night of Champions, but rabid when he actually put Miz down. The boys must have put together something pretty special. Sure, Bryan will have got most of the plaudits in some camps, but it takes two to tango. You need a great dickhead at times, and Miz is one.

Without a shadow of a doubt. I honestly don't believe people would've been as big into Hogan's early WWF stuff if it hadn't been for the stellar heel work of Piper, Orndorff and Heenan. A hero, for the most part, only finishes things - the heel almost always starts them.

I always thought that HBK vs Mankind at Mind Games IYH10 was a great piece of storytelling. The fact that HBK was a "iam so glad to be here" type face (as he points out on his dvd) often made people get a bit sick of his routine. On a similar (but more exaggerated vein) John Cena is similar with the way he is portrayed as the blue eyed, can't do anything wrong type. Anyway back to the point, Mankind gave Michaels an edge, a dark side and the aggression came out because HBK HAD to fight for the title and his life. I thought that was some excellent storytelling which showed another dimension to HBK as a character.

HBK vs Ramon (SummerSlam 95 Ladder Match) was good storytelling too. The fact that both guys had "studied" each other from the first match and incorporated that into their rematch was gold. I often feel this gets forgotten over the first one they had.

Bret vs Owen Hart (WMX) was excellent. The angry, bitter and jealous youngster trying to outdo his older and more respected brother was class. Not only was the action tight, but the right man won. If Bret had taken the win, Owen could have been viewed as the little brother beaten up by the older brother and may have gained sympathy instead of heel heat. Having him beat Bret clean not only added to the story from a braggin perspective but also gave Owen added credibility too.

What about Rock/Austin from Wrestlemania 17?

The story of two men fighting for the greatest prize in the sport, with one becoming increasingly frustrated/obsessed to win that he would do anything physically possible to do so, going as far as to shake hands with his greatest ever rival to get his hands on the belt.

Plus, its my second favourite match of all time.

Archived