Story filled matches

kamicazze

What matches get you emotionally involved where they just tell a fantastic story? I think hbk vs ric flair is a prime example of this as well as undertaker vs hbk. Undertaker vs jeff hardy in the ladder match is also a great story filled match. Recently cena and punk showed a good story

• Paid Members

I've said this one so many times, and I'll keep saying it: Bret Hart vs. Roddy Piper, WM8. Storytelling at its absolute finest.

I've said this one so many times, and I'll keep saying it: Bret Hart vs. Roddy Piper, WM8. Storytelling at its absolute finest.

I'm totally with you on that. Amazing, perfectly-told match that leaves both guys looking stellar at the end.

I watched Ric Flair v Kerry Von Erich yesterday 2 out of 3 falls for the NWA title from WCCW in 1982 my God it was epic. They had me enthralled with how well they told the story. Most of the credit going to Flair.

• Paid Members

Here are some older matches I thought were excellent for story-telling. It probably helps if you know about the wrestlers histories or the backgrounds to the matches and some of them really aren't "workrate" matches (or even lauded as even "good"), but so what. They tell good stories that you can get into, whether its revenge, a war of toughness, someone trying to recapture their past glory, someone battling to overcome the odds, even if the story is hoping to see some cunt get what he deserves, and getting it. Or not? The thrill is in the journey sometimes regardless of the destination :

Ultimate Warriors VS Heenan Family (Survivors 89)

Ron Garvin VS Greg Valentine - submission match (Royal Rumble 1990)

Mr Perfect VS Tito Santana (Saturday Nights Main Event)

Dream Team VS Million $ Team (Survivors 90)

Ultimate Warrior VS Macho King (WrestleMania VII)

Davey Boy Smith VS The Warlord (WrestleMania VII)

Jake The Snake VS The Model (WrestleMania VII)

Million $ Man VS Virgil (SummerSlam '91)

Big Bossman VS Mountie (SummerSlam '91)

Macho Man VS Jake The Snake (Tuesday In Texas)

No, I'm not fucking kidding with Bulldog/Warlord.

Yes, to get involved in some of those, you have to buy into the story of good vs evil. Ah, there's loads more, but who cares about anything post-Hulkamania, it's all been rubbish since Terry went on holiday and that fake Ultimate Warrior turned up at WrestleMania VIII. And none of you watched WcW, so I've not bothered with that either.

I was tempted to put Perfect/Beefpiece from WrestleMania VI since I love the storytelling of the arrogant Perfect losing his undefeated record to our favourite rabbi due to his exponentially increasing over-confidence, but the tidal wave of menstral blood that would be created by anyone accusing "Hogan's mate" of being involved in good storytelling made me think it wasn't worth it.

• Paid Members
I was tempted to put Perfect/Beefpiece from WrestleMania VI since I love the storytelling of the arrogant Perfect losing his undefeated record to our favourite rabbi due to his exponentially increasing over-confidence, but the tidal wave of menstral blood that would be created by anyone accusing "Hogan's mate" of being involved in good storytelling made me think it wasn't worth it.

Was this necessary? Apart from being a straw man (I don't think anyone on here would deny Beefcake's ever been in at least a few good matches), it reeks of grasping at reasons to goad for a fight. There's no need for it.

Back on topic, your choice of Valentine vs. Garvin is a superb example in particular - it's one of my absolute favourite feuds ever. I loved the whole concept of not only Valentine using the Heartbreaker, but the brilliant counter of Garvin's Hammer Jammer. It didn't hurt that both guys really made it look like they detested each other and went hell for leather.

all three matches of Foley and HHH at the beggining of 2000

Definately agree with this. The Royal Rumble streetfight is perfect in my eyes, possibly my favourite match ever because of the build and then how well they told the story.

It's all about being drawn in to the story to the point where you think one guy really wants to kill the other. Triple H vs Stone Cold 2 out of 3 falls is a good one as they finally got their hands on each other and Austin proceeds to kick the fuck out of Trips for the whole first fall.

One that you might disagree on is Savage/Warrior from Summerslam '92. I just remember sitting at my Nans captivated by the whole match, from the "who's corner will Mr Perfect be in", the brilliant selling of Savages back injury, when Flair and Perfect show up and then the ending with Warrior raising Savages hand. It was about as emotionally epic a match a kid could have hoped for and I'm still fond of it.

might have missed it but dont think anyone has mentioned HHH vs. HBK SummerSlam 2002 - the comeback match. A good backstory, both short term and long term, they told several stories within the match and I can watch that match again many times and it always takes me back to how I felt watching it live

I recently watched Taker vs. HHH from Manix X7 and despite the fact Taker is 19-0 now, in 2011, I got sucked into a Hunter win when he smashed him with the sledgehammer while being up in The Last Ride position. It was only when Taker kicked out that I remembered the obvious result :laugh:

Archived