Build your own Pitfighter

Surf Digby

• Paid Members

Through tenuous links, I ended up looking up videos of Pit Fighter on YouTube yesterday. Whilst we all know that the once awe-inspiring graphics have not aged well, what particularly surprised me was how few frames of animation there were for each move. Moves like the big flashy jump spinning kick had about four frames in it.

With this in mind, how difficult would it be - considering the capabilities of todays computers - to create a game where you can import photo's of yourself, and create the characters from them?

Walking requires about 4 frames. Jumping requires 2. Crouching only requires 1.

Piece of piss, surely?

• Paid Members

From what I hear, something similar is coming out for the kinect. It scans your face and body, and you become the avatar on the screen.

• Paid Members

M.U.G.E.N. might be what you're looking for. It's a free open source 2D beat-em-up, and googling the name will lead you to several forums with helpful tutorials on how to create and import your own character/background/music ect. The best part is that you get dead-on copies of charcters from just about any beat-em-up or cartoon series to pit yourself against.

• Paid Members

i remember when i was junior school there was a fete type day where they had stalls and shit set up. One of the older boys in the school brough his console in and had Pit Fighter set up on a screen, it was like 10p a go. It blew my fucking mind.

Archived