Little things that could make football videogames better

Richie Freebird

I dont know why you gave up on TIF 2003 tbh dude.. it is sooo underated its untrue... Cant ever say this enough.

Last thing I played that was recent ish was Fifa 2008 what struck me was how unnecessarily complex it was. SF style combos to do tricks on the pitch.. Fuck off. Shoulder buttons for tricks if needs be, showboating doesnt need to be done all the fucking time and it certainly shouldnt be a complete chore to do

Passes should be easish to make and shouldnt require a degree to work out where a player will be, Triangles or whatever should be Sensible Soccer easy.

Tackles should actually work rather than looking like your player is cocking his leg

Injuries should be realistic.. Never seen a player breakdown in a game. just get injured and then move slower on the pitch is the usual fayre or if its a crunching tackle the whole stretcher thing should be brought on rather than going to the management screen and have a red cross or whatever and players should come back on if the magic spray works

Also make it that it isnt easy in every single game ive played to spoof the goalkeeper animation. Generally the second a keeper starts coming out is the time to shoot and 9/10 you will score.

Free Kicks should be like Fever Pitch Soccer. A cursor placing where you want the ball to go first and then another one for height and then where it should finish making for some nice curlying shots rather than twatting about with button mashing.

Some games need to make it, not harder to score from distance, but should address the ability to score from 30-40 yards with relative ease Fifa 98 RTWC and Fifa 2002 Japan were guilty of this. My mate had to defend in midfield to stop me scoring from just outside the centre circle. Its possible in TIF as well if you get the right team. Also using the D to fire in shots and score should be altered.

Corners should actually resemble corners rather than being able to pin point players and score nearly every time TIF short corner cross goal or at least shot on target. Swos is guilty of this as is FIFA and Fever Pitch.

That will do for now

Managers are finally making it into FIFA 12, the World Cup games usually have them in as well. Realistic injuries are the big USP for FIFA 12, check out the trailer videos on Youtube. Personally I feel between FIFA 09-11, very little has changed, long range shooting is shoddy, doesn't feel as rewarding to play as the old PES' on Ps2, still the best football games ever made. Finally, the new PES 2012 videos look incredibly promising, looks like they could be regaining their crown as best football game on console back at last.

• Paid Members
Some games need to make it, not harder to score from distance, but should address the ability to score from 30-40 yards with relative ease Fifa 98 RTWC and Fifa 2002 Japan were guilty of this.

Clearly not played as City on FIFA '07 then. Any goal longer than two yards is a godsend.

• Paid Members

Not really a little thing, but a "Football Tycoon" type game could be fun. A game where you're the chairman and take over the whole club, running it from that respect. You could be an insane, Vladimir Romanov type, or a cash-happy Abramovic, or have to save an ailing club from a bleak situation. Whether it was handled in a realistic way or an over the top kind of "Theme Hospital" way it could be great fun.

Not really a little thing, but a "Football Tycoon" type game could be fun. A game where you're the chairman and take over the whole club, running it from that respect. You could be an insane, Vladimir Romanov type, or a cash-happy Abramovic, or have to save an ailing club from a bleak situation. Whether it was handled in a realistic way or an over the top kind of "Theme Hospital" way it could be great fun.

That sounds about as much fun as 'Kilroy-Silk : The Videogame' in which you travel the length and breadth of the country in a second hand caravan.

• Paid Members
That sounds about as much fun as 'Kilroy-Silk : The Videogame' in which you travel the length and breadth of the country in a second hand caravan.

Obviously it'd have to be handled in a certain way to work, but I think there's legs to the idea.

• Moderators

I non-ironically love computer games based around the most boring things. I've played all sorts of incredibly dull based games. Microsoft Train Simulator is probably the dullest thing I've ever played....yet it captivates me somehow.

Someone needs to release SimAccountant or something.

• Paid Members
I non-ironically love computer games based around the most boring things. I've played all sorts of incredibly dull based games. Microsoft Train Simulator is probably the dullest thing I've ever played....yet it captivates me somehow.

Someone needs to release SimAccountant or something.

You're welcome ;)

Archived