Little things that could make football videogames better

Richie Freebird

Some good points about FIFA in here. Before 10, the last one I'd played was 07, and despite 10 obviously being more advanced, I was disappointed to find some little things had gone backwards during that time.

For example, on 07, there was a specific 'edit shirt number' menu, whilst on 10 (the PS3 version at least), you had to go into 'edit player' and change each number individually. It's a small thing, yeah, but annoying if you like messing around with squads, as I do.

If they could get it right for 07, why not 10?

be able to play a game in any combination of my teams kits.

This was in a couple of the PES on ps2, 4 and 5 i think.

If there's some clashes, I want to be able to wear my away shirt, with my home shorts and socks, that kind of thing, grrrr.

Goalkeepers too, so many times the opposition keeper shirt is the same as my teams colour. Grrrr.

• Paid Members
I non-ironically love computer games based around the most boring things. I've played all sorts of incredibly dull based games. Microsoft Train Simulator is probably the dullest thing I've ever played....yet it captivates me somehow.

Someone needs to release SimAccountant or something.

This is the most boring game I've become addicted to. I can easily get addicted to almost any sim/management type game in which the object is to earn money. Ironically I'm shite with money in real life and find the pursuit of it hollow.

I don't have time for it now, but I'd probably enjoy that game; I like all the plan views and options and everything.

I remember loving the beta version of SIGames' hockey manager thing, even though it was basically just a spreadsheet and I didn't understand anything about ice hockey. But it had numbers and you could draft Canadians and stuff, so that was enough for me.

I want games to have realistic player attributes and such, JLM touched on it a few years ago with Pro Evo that they made each player feel like that player, Makelele wasnt the quickest, wasnt the strongest but they made him a beast at always being in the right spot and you could sometimes watch a player live and then replicate that with certain pro evo's encouraging you to use a players strengths and weaknesses.

I dont think I've ever felt with Fifa that it seperates players, you're either controlling a good player or a awful one, the only differences seem to be between speed and sometimes strength.

They also need to bring back PES' trigger stepovers, that was such a simple yet effective way of changing direction and fooling defenders in which you can never really grasp on the right stick. I dont like skill moves on the right stick, it feels unnatural.

• Paid Members
I dont think I've ever felt with Fifa that it seperates players, you're either controlling a good player or a awful one, the only differences seem to be between speed and sometimes strength.

Heh, that reminds me of Striker on the Snes, where a good team meant every player running like Linford Christie and a shit one like Douglas Bader.

be able to play a game in any combination of my teams kits.

This was in a couple of the PES on ps2, 4 and 5 i think.

If there's some clashes, I want to be able to wear my away shirt, with my home shorts and socks, that kind of thing, grrrr.

Good concept that, I

One thing I miss about PES is the option to change the language/commentary team. Loved hearing "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!" when you switched to the Spanish option.

You could have a few different commentary languages on This is Football too. I played that game so long that I ended up having the odd listned to forigen commentary just for a "change of scenery".

• Paid Members
Or should I just go back to playing This is Football 2003 like I had until earlier this year?

My brother and I cracked out the PS2 a couple of weeks ago. We played some games we used to love that turned out to be shit. Olympic Soccer, Fifa 98, etc.

I remembered this post and we went to the car boot on the Sunday morning and I picked up TIF2003 for 50p. It's bloody brilliant. Thanks for the tip, we loved it.

I would love a game to have an influence meter on the referee. Say for example you are Manchester United and you are playing at Old Trafford and the ref gives a pen to the opponents, you can surround the referee with your team saying he is wrong, he is shit and should go to Specsavers and all that palava. This inturn makes the referee cack himself and will give you all the 50/50 decisions, but if you do it too much you can get sanctioned by the FA.

• Paid Members

I'd love the addition of 'Playground Games' for great online enjoyment.

Wembley/Knockout would be a cracking little addition for some good online frivolity. 'Deflections don't count' being a selectable game option would make my day too. Ooh, and 5 second warning for 'goal hanging' need to be added.

Headers & Volleys, 90 seconds and other games where goals against you knock lives off you, but knocking it wide or over puts that person in goal would be great but a decent keeper control would need to be worked out.

Archived