SIN CARA is WWE's " Next Big Thing"

LWOLeN

mistico-wwe-sin-cara.jpg

I've really been trying hard to start "liking" Sin Cara after him being constantly forced fed to us on WWE shows.

He's very athletic, that's for sure.

BUT,

for some reason I'm starting to get annoyed by his style. His kicks and punches look very low impact and his offense is very gymnastic, as in really "phony" compared to guys like Regal/Benoit.

Yeah, he's a luchador, but it's starting to look like a Russian circus.

Christian worked really hard to make Sin Cara look good recently, but still half of Sin Cara's moves looked really messy and off-timed. Same goes with his matches with Chavo.

I really think his style is just wrong for WWE.

What's your opinion about Sin Cara after the recent months?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

He's certainly not the next Rey Mysterio, but I think he'll have a fairly successful WWE career. They seem to be doing all they can to help him succeed, rather than giving up at the first sign of a botch. That's fairly unusual from what I've seen of young stars, look at Kofi Kingston and Ken Kennedy for example.

Personally I don't enjoy him, his style is very contrived, and unlike Mysterio his matches aren't fun or particularly fast paced. Could he have the level of fantastic match that Mysterio did with Kurt Angle or Chris Jericho, for example? At this stage I seriously doubt it. And then, Mysterio had good matches with bigger men like Big Show, Mark Henry and Brock Lesnar. I just couldn't imagine Sin Cara doing the same.

On top of this, he doesn't yet speak. That's going to be extremely limiting as time goes on, if it isn't already.

Being a massive lucha libre fan, i'm probably gonna come across as a little biased but i'd say he "could" be the next Mysterio but it's going to take time, lots and lots of time....i get the feeling wwe desperatly wants him to be the next rey RIGHT NOW from the get go and that's just not possible.

His time in mexico as Mistico was phenomenal, he was certainly made out to be the next big thing in lucha and got comparisons of being the second coming of santo and rey mysterio all the time, he even appeared on many lucha magazines in pictures and articles comparing them, and i would've agreed, back in mexico, he really stood out,there was Mistico,and then there was everyone else..even though a lot of others could do the same moves and looked good, Mistico had that x factor, and then he came to america....

here are the problems that i see:

1. he doesn't talk english and he will have to someday to get fans invested in big matches.

2.he was thrown from mexico right into wwe and put under the microscope because he's triple H's pet project,which is unfair, at least mysterio had the privelage to work years in ecw and wcw to get used to the american style and build himself up some popularity, and then when he arrived in wwe he already had a fanbase in the usa and lets not forget rey had a good roster of cruiserweights to work with in the beginning, cara does not. offcourse there is no place to learn like wcw these days but they could've at least put him through developmental instead of throw him on tv right away.

3.the fact that there IS already a rey mysterio with his huge legendary status, perhaps makes it harder for cara to stand out and seem fresh, he's constantly being compared to rey while he should just be the first sin cara, not rey 2. rey didn't really have this problem because when he came to america he was truly uniqe, nobody compared him to anybody which gives more freedom.

4. given wwe's poor track record of getting luchadors over, fans are extremely skeptical and over analyze his run,get him out from under that burning microscope and let him get comfortable, mysterios first matches weren't that botch free either yet nobody made a fuss over it back then.

5.no cruiserweight belt to give him and build status hurts his chances, let's say he was a cruiserweight champion and succesfully defenden that belt for a while, it would make look better and more important then he is now because he doesn't really have any goals to fight for that really fit him at this point,i wouldn't buy him as an ic champ or something like that yet so why is he fighting and why should we care ? rey being constantly on the hunt for the cruiser belt was great to watch.

I really hope he can break through,he has my support.

I don't get the yellow hue for his matches...what's that all about? I don't see what effect they're going for with that. Doesn't add anything and if you need different lights on during your match to stand out then maybe you're not a great wrestler..

He's still crap yet. Apart from having two left feet, I think his main problem is that there's nothing to care about. He is basically fireworks. Flashy but no substance. None of his act seems real -- he never looks to be that hurt or endangered, and his moves look more like gymnastics displays than attacks. At the moment, all he's really got is a moveset, and that's not spectacular enough (he rarely does stuff that looks beyond Rey or Evan Bourne's high-flying arsenal) or well-performed enough to impress.

Edit: I like his music though.

• Paid Members

I'm really enjoying Smackdown right now, but to be completely honest Sin Cara is probably the male wrestler I enjoy watching least. Khali has a new level of intrigue about him now that he's sided with Jinder Mahal, Michael Hayes really seems to know how to push Mark Henry as the badass he is, The Usos have really shone in their last few appearances, and Ted DiBiase has had some great matches recently, even though he's still floundering a bit.

Aside from the cool mask and music and his incredible athleticism, Sin Cara's a shitarse. He's got no charisma, he botches almost everything and nothing he does looks like it hurts. I don't care if he was a massive draw in Mexico or Japan and I don't care if he's had great matches in the past; right now, he's shite.

• Paid Members
Aside from the cool mask and music and his incredible athleticism, Sin Cara's a shitarse. He's got no charisma, he botches almost everything and nothing he does looks like it hurts. I don't care if he was a massive draw in Mexico or Japan and I don't care if he's had great matches in the past; right now, he's shite.

Pretty much this. It's a great tribute to WWEs promtional machine (when they can be arsed) that he's as over with the crowd as much as he is, as he's all production and little else.

The great thing about Kharma (before she started crying) was you knew exactly what her motivation was and what her charcter was about (plus you had a performer that was perfect for the role). All we know about Sin Cara is he is big in Mexico and can just about manage a few standard WWE high flying moves. As Vince McMahon might say, 'What is a Sin Cara?'.

I always get the impression that he's just not comfortable in a non-cmll ring, he was pretty flawless in cmll, the man could spring and fly from anywhere on any rope and almost never slipped, yet when he wrestled in japan he had more slip ups than usual, and wwe rings don't seem to gel with him either, it's almost as if he has more fear inside him in foreign rings.

• Paid Members
I always get the impression that he's just not comfortable in a non-cmll ring, he was pretty flawless in cmll, the man could spring and fly from anywhere on any rope and almost never slipped, yet when he wrestled in japan he had more slip ups than usual, and wwe rings don't seem to gel with him either, it's almost as if he has more fear inside him in foreign rings.

Like ozzfan said though, who cares?! He's in the WWE now, if he can't adapt (he'll need a few more months) then he's not going to get very far.

• Paid Members

For now I guess the best thing they can do is build a character around his mystery. Maybe film a few "documentary" style segments about his intrigue, with people talking about how we don't know who he is, what he looks like, anything about his past etc. Maybe tell us tidbits of his story, but only a little - just enough to keep people wanting more. This way they could get around the fact he can't speak, but also give him some kind of character (but at the same time, not) whilst creating a bit of a buzz around the guy.

Anyone saying he "constantly botches" is either being purposefully over-the-top for effect or they are plain wrong.

His match with Christian was pretty good, I thought. There was one moment that nearly went a bit wrong, but other than that he seemed to hit all his stuff very well. He's clearly getting more comfortable in the WWE ring.

All the stuff wrestlemaniacx listed is perfectly valid (no cruiser division, no WCW to work through etc...). He was never, ever gonna just walk in and be the "new" Rey Misterio right from the start. Anyone who though that (and are now disappointing) was being delusional.

I'm pretty sure if Sin Cara was a roided up Welshman (while still showing no "character" or "personality" and struggling to get used to the style) there would be certain people in this thread jizzing over him.

I only ever saw his match with Primo, which werent too bad apart from the falling off the turnbuckle, then getting in the ring after no selling, doing the same kick then doing his move which would have less impact now as he fucked it. What happened with Kofi, I saw the video where Orton freaked out before delivering an RKO but what was Kofi supposed to have done, I didnt see anything wrong

Archived