Opinions on police...

Michael_3165

Recently I have been thinking about the levels of police presence in my local area. I recently saw about 10 police officers outside the local train station - all geared up with the uniform and asking a number of people about various things. It made me think...

What is YOUR opinion/view of the police?

What feelings does seeing a police officer in uniform provoke?

Do you think police get a positive or negative response from the overall population?

What makes a good and a bad police officer when you have had dealings with them?

It's interesting because having a conversation about this down the local and so many people have completely differing views. Some love their presence and feel reassured, some feel like they are being constantly watched and scrutinised and others really dislike them being around at all.

Just like to get some views on this subject as it's something that seems to really divide people.

My one and only run-in with the law was getting a caution for pissing in the street when I was 18. One of the officers was a pompous dickhead, the other was canny. I think that pretty much sums up my attitude to the actual personnel of the police force - like any profession, it's a mixed bag, and depends who you end up dealing with.

As far as a visible police presence goes, I'm pretty ambivalent. I'm 30 years old, so my days of worrying about them kicking us out of the park and pouring our cans down the drain are long gone. I do have elderly relatives though, so given the choice, I'd rather there was a ready and available police presence as a deterrent to the next generation of ASBO scrotes than a lack of visibility.

• Paid Members

Not sure what to say. I was arrested a couple of years ago (an previous employer was a bit of a dick and accused me of theft) and I was cleared of the charges due to it being bullshit. The administration department were full of nuggets that saw me lose two laptops, but I'm confident that if I rang them they'd be around in an acceptable amount of time after I had stabbed a burglar.

Couple of little run ins, I remember some kids punched my brother for absolutely no reason, the police came pretty quick and were very supportive to my brother which was good.

I think much like every walk of life, some good and some dicks, unfortunately the dicks always leave a more lasting impression than the good. That's life.

My one and only run-in with the law was getting a caution for pissing in the street when I was 18. One of the officers was a pompous dickhead, the other was canny. I think that pretty much sums up my attitude to the actual personnel of the police force - like any profession, it's a mixed bag, and depends who you end up dealing with.

As far as a visible police presence goes, I'm pretty ambivalent. I'm 30 years old, so my days of worrying about them kicking us out of the park and pouring our cans down the drain are long gone. I do have elderly relatives though, so given the choice, I'd rather there was a ready and available police presence as a deterrent to the next generation of ASBO scrotes than a lack of visibility.

My experience is almost exactly the same as that, got done for D&D, one copper kept having a go saying they had better things to do and did the old watch your head getting in then accidently banging my head on the edge of the van, the lad who drove me in to the station was sound and just chatted to me and asked what pubs I'd been in

So, as with any group of people, there's knobs and alright people, despite my only real interaction with coppers them arresting me and giving me an

I tend to hate them, but that may be because my run ins were with up their own arse scottish cops.

They don't really listen, nor think about things - they seem to make up their mind before they've actually spoken to you and I found myself in some pretty shit situations because of it.

They're completely unhelpful in just about every way and here's an example:

I had bail conditions (from an absolutely stupid situation that never went to caught because it was bullshit) and needed to get items of my stuff from my ex's place - the police were pretty unhelpful here, Living in scotland i didnt really have someone i could send around for the items, except for one good friend, but that was unwise since i'd slept with him not long for a while and my ex hated him. Anyway after nagging and nagging the police, telling them i'd have to go around to get my stuff regardless of whether they came or not, i finally got 2 cops to come with me, when i took the suit cases of items i opened them for the officers to see - my clothes for the most part were either slashed up or burnt....

I of course complained about this, telling them that my ex should be arressted for the damage, basically the response i got was 'you could have done this before you left' which made absolutely no sense - I hadn't been there for weeks and certainly not since my previous arrest. They refused to even note the damage in their little notebooks if i decided to take the issue to civil court they weren't going to comment on the event. When i got a wee bit annoyed and raised my voice a little (I wasn't shouting and up until this point i had been very polite) they threatened to arresst me.

Yeah i've had a few run-ins with them, mostly to do with my ex, they always sided with him, despite logical conclussions they should have been making:

If you turn up to a flat someone called you alledging violence and when you get there that person has absolutely no marks anywhere on their body (because it didn't happen) and the other guy (me) has scratches and marks all over him, it's perhaps time to reevaluate why the first guy put the call in.

My ex was very convincing i guess and being scottish whilst i was english sadly probably helped his cause.

On the plus side though:

When i left my job at a pawnbrokers i stole a loup, I took it out on a night out around my neck the night after i had found out i had been sacked and took it to the police asking for forgiveness of stealing the item, i was cleary drunk at the time and the officers laughed about it and told me it was all ok!:D

So mixed reviews, but generally anything serious and their brains seems to shut down and they can be pretty discriminatory

My own personal dealings with them have primarily been my own arrests, and they were mostly decent, actually. One or two lads I went to school with are police now, and though I've not seen them since we were about eighteen, they're the types that would be the proper power-trip wankers. I find the ones arresting drunks on those Bravo TV shows to be the same kind of complete twats as the lads I went to school with, no sense of humour or any humanity at all to them. Just acting the big man.

Despite being technically a fugitive, I've been working for the emergency services a fair bit this year and last. At a big meeting in January/February, I found the policeman there a lot more level-headed and aware than the gaggle of fire service middle-management buffoons that were involved. He was laughing with us outside afterwards at the incompetence of everyone.

My girlfriend works for the police as well, and it sounds like there's a lot of incompetence in the force.

All in all, I'd say they're not as bad as bailiffs or bouncers.

• Paid Members

My opinion, as one.

The Met - Utter fucking big headed cocks

Thames Valley - Pompous and smug, see that bald little fella on Road Wars, loads are like that in TVP

Hampshire - Worst Traffic Police experienced

Strathclyde - The ones that were drunk were alright

West Mids - Not bad at all in my opinion, the occasional dick, but the majority are really down to earth, good DIDE too

Northumbria - The best bunch of police I've met, especially their firearms teams, some of the best shots in the country

PSNI - Only met the HMSU, and they are fucking awesome

Mod Plod - My lot, generally lazy, but a few of us are ok.

You just have to watch out with whatever force, for those that were bullied in their youth. They're the ones us decent filth can't stand either.

• Paid Members

This, bouncers are generally massive cunts. Twats with a complex that take pleasure in abusing the little and insignificant power they have. It's usually out of bitterness because they know they will never amount to anything better than that in their sad little lives.

I don't dislike the police, though I am worried at the lack of power they have these days. Sure, I don't doubt for a second that some police officers out there abuse their power at times, but nowhere as much as soldiers or American cops, but at the same time they are pretty powerless over here. Look at somewhere like Serbia, they have badass fucking cops that nobody would dare fuck about with.

As for bailiffs, I don't dislike them in the slightest. If you have bailiffs round your place, serves you right. No sympathy.

As for bailiffs, I don't dislike them in the slightest. If you have bailiffs round your place, serves you right. No sympathy.

Same is true if you're a twat in a nightclub and attract the ire of the bouncers, or get yourself into a situation encountering the law and come across horrible coppers. Doesn't mean the "officer" isn't a total cunt. I've never met a bailiff in real life (that I know of, anyway), but the ones on the telly are just as bad as any dickhead bouncer I've ever come across -- and pretty much the same kind of person. Though I've met one or two decent bouncers. I can't imagine someone making a living going round like a bully-boy and taking a telly out of a breadline family's house could possibly be a decent person, regardless of how much of a waster the mum or dad of the family are. Anyone who buys gig tickets off touts for stupid money, it's their own fault as well. Doesn't mean touts aren't scummy diabolicals.

• Moderators

This, bouncers are generally massive cunts. Twats with a complex that take pleasure in abusing the little and insignificant power they have.

What a load of shit.

Archived