Red Dwarf on the comeback trail!

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Just read Lloyd from Corrie's leaving soon to film a new series on Red Dwarf. Anyone got any thoughts on this? Was a big fan back in the day, but that Back to Earth special they did on Dave was rotten. It was like a film with no audience and no jokes. I hope its good of course, but is anyone looking forward to it, or should they just leave it?

• Paid Members

I'll watch it. I won't say I'm looking forward to it. But you've got to have a look, haven't you? Even after a lot of festive beer and scotch, those last ones were indeed gash.

Other than Rimmer getting Big Suze ran over, that tickled me.

I'm looking forward for to the new series more than I was Back To Earth. Being the more conventional 6 part series should give the show enough time and room to see whether or not it's still decent. I actually liked the 2nd part of Back To Earth, but the 1st and finale were poor. I think I went into it with really high expectations, and I found myself desperately trying to like it. I didn't think Series 8 was much good either though. It was a brilliant show back in it's day, one of my favourite of all time if I'm honest, so I'm going to greet the new series with low expectations and that way will hopefully not be disappointed. I don't think it's going to be screened till next April, so quite a while to wait as yet.

• Paid Members

http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2011/04/15/...warf-confirmed/

In the last few months you might have heard rumours about a new series of Red Dwarf. If you're on the internet, frankly, you could hardly have missed them.

Well now the rumours are fact. Red Dwarf X is on its way.

New Series of Red Dwarf Confirmed

Attending Dimension Jump XVI on Sunday, April 10th, Red Dwarf's co-creator, writer, director and executive producer Doug Naylor confirmed to fans that all the hope and possibility of recent times has come good: there will be more new Dwarf.

Thanking Steve North and Jane Rogerson from Dave - the channel behind 2009's Back to Earth as well as these new episodes - the statement came just moments before being released on the Dave website.

The facts are:

* The series will feature Rimmer, Lister, Cat and Kryten, once again played by Chris Barrie, Craig Charles, Danny John-Jules and Robert Llewellyn. (Y'know, unless anyone starts demanding a gold-plated dressing room or something.)

* Each episode will be approximately 30 minutes in duration. This is a big difference from the 23 minute episodes of Back to Earth. To compensate for this fuller length and commercial break, the new episodes will be shown in a 40 minute slot, much as current Dwarf repeats are on Dave.

* There will be six episodes in the series. The numbering of 'Series X' being both a pretty good promotional title for the channel, and technically correct since Back to Earth was a 'ninth series'.

* Shooting will take place this coming November, December and January, with broadcast slated for September 2012. That apparent delay is born of common sense - after its complex post-production, Red Dwarf X would be ready to broadcast in the summer, but that's a time of low audiences. An autumn launch will make the very most of Dave's new commission.

Taking questions from fans during a Q&A session, other - decidedly unconfirmed - possibilities came to light. Doug's focus is on a characterful series, coming back down to the 'intimate SF/sitcom' stylings of earlier series (though anyone who thinks Series III isn't pretty huge-looking needs to rewatch their DVD). There's always a possibility that Holly might return, but how and played by whom is up for grabs. And Talkie Toaster could always make a reappearance, too.

Hopes of new model effects - rather than CGI spaceships - were high, but dependant on budget. Similarly, Doug and the cast hope to shoot the series in front of a live studio audience... they just need to make it feasible, and convince the channel!

Brand new Red Dwarf. Can you believe it?!

Didnt the writers split up after Series 5. Series 6 onwards was completely different. It seemed more jokes in about today's times than just other types of jokes from Series 1-5 if you get what i mean.

What annoyed me on Back to Earth was all the 3d crap that wasnt need. What really annoyed me was that Bob was 3D no need for it bob looked great originally. Plus very little jokes, and badly put together.

I hope they answer up all the plot holes that were left inbetween series 8 and Back to Earth. Ok we've all seen the extra endings at the end of series 8.

Series 5 was pure gold.

No one could pull of "You Wrote I am a Fish 400 times, did a funny little dance and fainted" and The Cat: Fish! Dispensing Machine: Today's fish is Trout a la creme, enjoy your meal" Six times and make it be still funny today.

• Paid Members
I hope they answer up all the plot holes that were left inbetween series 8 and Back to Earth. Ok we've all seen the extra endings at the end of series 8.

I'd rather they washed their hands of Series 8 altogether and did a semi-reboot to be honest. 7 too for that matter. 4 lads in the 'bug, you don't need anything else. No reincarnated dead crew, no fucking about with nanobots or virtual reality or bringing back the luck virus or Duane Dibley teeth or Ace or other gimmicks from the previous series - HEY! Remember previous series? They were great! - and most of all no fucking useless bint masquerading as a navigation officer. Who the smeg needs a navigation officer when you have The Cat's nose anyway?

cat5.jpg

"Somethin's coming. I can smell it! Something BIG!"

Cant wait, any new RD is good by me. I enjoyed Back To Earth apart from the Corrie nonsense, but then Im a huge RD mark and will watch/read anything RD related.

Hopefully filming wont be rushed like it was for BTE and the scripts will be better. BTE was intended to be a 1 hour special but was stretched to three specials and suffered. Series 1-5 are gold and Rob Grant is often credited to being the guy responsible for the gags whereas Naylor was the 'sci-fi' fan. Grant Naylor split after series 6.

The problems with series 7 and 8 (and some episodes in series 6) are that Doug Naylor became obsessed with getting RD in the U.S and ultimately made into a movie. This lead to the introduction of a female character and increased episodes to get to the magic number 52 for syndication. Hopefully Doug Naylor has accepted the movie is dead in the water and can focus on making the best season yet (well better than 7-8 which are solely his). Would love Rob Grant to get back on board but there is more chance of Norman Lovett coming back.

Archived