working nights

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
I feel abit hypocritical but my main advice would be to get off them asap. You get stuck in abit of a rut otherwise I think.

Totally this. I've been working nights for various companies for almost five years. Been looking to get back into working days without success for several months now. The extra money isn't worth it anymore.

My manager has been doing nights for NINETEEN years now. I can't even begin to imagine what that's like.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
You NEED your sleep. As people have said, dark room, go bed about half an hour/an hour after you get in and try and stay in bed for atleast 7/8hrs.

yeh, in an ideal world that would be amazing, 4 hours kip the rest of the day to enjoy yourself :) i'll always try aim to get 7-8 hours sleep in the day. One thing i do like, is that when you go to bed at say 8am, you pretty much have unlimited sleep time, so i'll basically wake up when my body's ready.

Oh, one other plus point about ths job is it'll help out with my relationship with my girlfriend. Basically she gets to see me monday-friday now between 5-10 whereas before i'd work evenings an i wouldnt get to see her through the week. Seeing her in the week eases it up for me going out on the weekend too, so everyone's a winner in that respect. If the days off offered were like Tuesday-Wednesday id probably not do it, the weekend off every week is pretty sweet though.

• Paid Members

Aside from the sleeping mask, get some ear plugs to bro. I started using them a year or so ago because I'm a light sleeper and I've found myself using them now even when I know won't be disturbed. As they block out all noise, the only thing you'll notice is your breathing pattern, it's very relaxing and just concentrating on that puts me out straight away. Night. :sleeping:

• Paid Members

I'm very much a night owl. I worked 5 nights out of 6 as a nurse and I loved it. We had a hell of a lot more work than the day staff with less of us and it was at least a 12hr shift but only the best staff could be bothered to work nights so everything got done.

You will get the munchies. Constantly. It messes with your eating patterns so you just eat alot when you can. I've never eaten more than I did back then even when I was the size of a whale, yet I was the slimmest I have ever been. Unless you're running around pack some healthy snacks to graze on.

No words can describe the level of rage that will over come you when some cunt starts doing DIY, or they're digging up the road just when you lay down to sleep. Prepare yourself for that. Invest in earplugs. On the same point, a sign on your door saying 'Night Worker' can sometimes stop unwanted callers. I would also put something like 'leave package next door' if I was expecting something. This wont stop everyone though.

In the summer you will get a lovely tan. Work all night, sleep all day in the sun. In the darkest coldest depths of winter, you'll want to hang yourself. Although you can see some very interesting weather during stormy nights.

Speaking of seasons, you'll notice that time will fly far quicker too.

I'm very much a night owl. I worked 5 nights out of 6 as a nurse and I loved it. We had a hell of a lot more work than the day staff with less of us and it was at least a 12hr shift but only the best staff could be bothered to work nights so everything got done.

You will get the munchies. Constantly. It messes with your eating patterns so you just eat alot when you can. I've never eaten more than I did back then even when I was the size of a whale, yet I was the slimmest I have ever been. Unless you're running around pack some healthy snacks to graze on.

No words can describe the level of rage that will over come you when some cunt starts doing DIY, or they're digging up the road just when you lay down to sleep. Prepare yourself for that. Invest in earplugs. On the same point, a sign on your door saying 'Night Worker' can sometimes stop unwanted callers. I would also put something like 'leave package next door' if I was expecting something. This wont stop everyone though.

In the summer you will get a lovely tan. Work all night, sleep all day in the sun. In the darkest coldest depths of winter, you'll want to hang yourself. Although you can see some very interesting weather during stormy nights.

Speaking of seasons, you'll notice that time will fly far quicker too.

Or it will mean that people will know he works nights and gets burgled. I just wouldn't do something as daft as that.

No words can describe the level of rage that will over come you when some cunt starts doing DIY, or they're digging up the road just when you lay down to sleep. Prepare yourself for that. Invest in earplugs.

A million times this. If your back bedroom is quieter, start sleeping there.

On the same point, a sign on your door saying 'Night Worker' can sometimes stop unwanted callers. I would also put something like 'leave package next door' if I was expecting something. This wont stop everyone though.

If anything, that makes them try their luck because they know you're in. Or are the doorstep energy sales mob especially cuntish round this way?

• Paid Members

Can't recommend enough the dark curtains and earplugs like Kenny and Stu said. It's a bastard trying to get to sleep in daylight and whenever I work night shifts I can't have even a fucking spec of light in the room.

No words can describe the level of rage that will over come you when some cunt starts doing DIY, or they're digging up the road just when you lay down to sleep. Prepare yourself for that. Invest in earplugs.

Yes. Everyone seems to make more noise. They're probably not but it seems like it. DIYers, workmen, Postmen, milkmen, kids on the way to school, neighbours deciding to have a fuckin row at 8am, traffic, dogs barking and my absolute worst one is them shitbag rag and bone men :devil: Deffo get the earplugs. If I didn't I'd probably be in jail right now after going on a rampage and killing half the fuckers in my street.

But yeah in my experience aside from the shitty sleeping patterns I quite enjoy working nights. Once you get used to it it's alright, especially if the other people on the shift are easy to get on with it makes the time go quicker. And like you say working somewhere like Tesco's on a night shift means you won't have to deal with customers.

• Paid Members
But yeah in my experience aside from the shitty sleeping patterns I quite enjoy working nights. Once you get used to it it's alright, especially if the other people on the shift are easy to get on with it makes the time go quicker. And like you say working somewhere like Tesco's on a night shift means you won't have to deal with customers.

I work nights for Tesco. As you said, no customers at that time so our manager isn't the strictest with uniforms. You turn up more or less wearing what you want, plug your headphones in and most of the time 10pm - 7am will absolutely fly in. You'd be surprised at how wearing your own clothes instead of a uniform and listening to your own music can make a difference.

• Paid Members
In the summer you will get a lovely tan. In the darkest coldest depths of winter, you'll want to hang yourself.

I expected this to be followed with "Welcome...to The Isle of Wight!" in a tourist guide/welcome sign style. :/

One of the things that bugged me about doing 6pm-4am was thinking about what everyone else was doing while I was working, which really wasn't helped by seeing everyone going home from their day jobs as I was on my way in. I realised when I left that I probably wasn't missing much, I just got the feeling I was.

• Paid Members
On the same point, a sign on your door saying 'Night Worker' can sometimes stop unwanted callers. I would also put something like 'leave package next door' if I was expecting something. This wont stop everyone though.

If anything, that makes them try their luck because they know you're in. Or are the doorstep energy sales mob especially cuntish round this way?

Get a "No cold calling" sticker. If he still knocks, take his ID and report him to EnergySure or Consumer Direct.

There's also a register where you can have your number blocked from telesales people.

• Paid Members
In the summer you will get a lovely tan. In the darkest coldest depths of winter, you'll want to hang yourself.

I expected this to be followed with "Welcome...to The Isle of Wight!" in a tourist guide/welcome sign style. :/

One of the things that bugged me about doing 6pm-4am was thinking about what everyone else was doing while I was working, which really wasn't helped by seeing everyone going home from their day jobs as I was on my way in. I realised when I left that I probably wasn't missing much, I just got the feeling I was.

LOL You know this place well, but, we have the

• Paid Members
One of favourite nights to work is Sunday. Seeing all the miserable arses on the bus going to work knowing I'm going home to bed.

haha, yeh! when ive done nights in the past i always love going home in the morning, its a combination of knowing most people are in work, and the fact that i have 15 hours in front of me so i can sleep for basically as long as i want.

I work nights for Tesco. As you said, no customers at that time so our manager isn't the strictest with uniforms. You turn up more or less wearing what you want, plug your headphones in and most of the time 10pm - 7am will absolutely fly in. You'd be surprised at how wearing your own clothes instead of a uniform and listening to your own music can make a difference.

not in my store :( uniform on and no headphones allowed...id kill to have my ipod on me. It's a 24 hour store though.

Archived