The Championship and Lower Leagues Thread 2011/2

patiirc

The Only Way is Essex star Mark Wright has signed for Blue Square Bet South strugglers Thurrock.

Defender Wright, who is a former Tottenham Hotspur and Southend United trainee, is set to make his debut in Tuesday's match at home to Dartford.

Wright, 24, has also recently played for Ryman Division One North side Heybridge Swifts.

The Ship Lane club has also signed 18-year-old Gillingham defender Callum Davies on loan.

Wright is the brother of former Charlton and Scunthorpe midfielder Josh, who is currently without a club.

The signings are the latest in a series by Thurrock, who last week brought former Kidderminster and Southend forward Drewe Broughton and ex-Chelmsford and Grays midfielder Bertie Brayley to the club.

Thurrock are in the Blue Square Bet South relegation zone, with just two wins from their opening 13 matches this season.

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tomorrow should be a cracking encounter between Boro and Southampton. We have always been a team who likes to give it a good go away from home and tend to better against teams who play it on the ground. It is a battle of the teams with the best home record in the league with the best away record in the league. I have every anticipation it is going to be a highly entertaining game and there will be streams available this weekend at the usual sites.

If Boro win or even draw on Saturday it would cement our position of legitimate promotion contenders, where as if we take a thumping it could shake the core of our fragile foundations of our squad. Tony Mowbray has now been in charge for a year now and the transformation he has made has been nigh on impossible. He has took an overpaid under-performing squad languishing in the bottom three to promotion contenders in a space of a year whilst trimming the wage bill from

• Paid Members
Fuck Me, we won

2-1

Huzzah, bring it and so forth.

Reaction in the Old Boys' Club is guarded at the moment - slightly more positive before, some in-fighting as usual, and rumblings about one of our draw-ticket sellers getting into a fight with a pensionner.

but I'm glad we won. Momentum is everything.

If Boro win or even draw on Saturday it would cement our position of legitimate promotion contenders, where as if we take a thumping it could shake the core of our fragile foundations of our squad. Tony Mowbray has now been in charge for a year now and the transformation he has made has been nigh on impossible. He has took an overpaid under-performing squad languishing in the bottom three to promotion contenders in a space of a year whilst trimming the wage bill from

We were shit on Saturday. Brizzle hammered us. Maynard was too good and your right winger hammered our fat left back.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. Its Hull tomorrow who we haven't beatehn since Adam was a lad and who have only lost 2 game away from home since the Sixties.

Will you be attending Rick?

• Paid Members

Hull City: Unbeaten in 9 games, 6 of those wins. Lost 2 of 25 away games. Joint 3rd with a game in hand (home to Birmingham). Things looking rosey at the moment. In saying that, we haven't played any of the really good sides yet. We've not played West Ham, Middlesbrough or Southampton yet. Still, consistency against the other teams is what's really important if you want to be top 6. You have to beat the teams around you if you want to make the top 2.

Be interesting to see what happens in January if we're still challenging. Some talk around here of there being money available. Leicester linked with taking Nigel Pearson back in some places, Leicester Mercury and Daily Mirror I think. They can fuck right off.

They've been linked with every decent manager in the division. On Saturday, both McDermott and Freedman both denied links with it in the same press conference.

Two things about that game actually:

1. Brian McDermott is very funny and very affable. He seemed like somebody you'd enjoy working with.

2. Reading are in a false position and once they start scoring more consistently, they'll shoot up the table.

I can't believe Reading are down there, they've got quality in every position, except perhaps the front line, which is unproven. If I could take any player in the division, it'd be Jobi McAnuff.

I would think it's temporary. Every time they gave McAnuff space, he forced Palace to defend, especially given they played Scannell on the left wing rather than Jonathan Parr, who does much more defensive work from the left side.

Other than Hunt, who's a known quantity and is no more than a half-decent Second Division player, their front line are all work in progress "projects". Church is 22 and still not really at it enough, Le Fondre's done well and seems to be slowly bridging the two-division gap and you have Manset and Besaya, who are both physical beasts but not fully-formed by any means. Darius Henderson ended up at Millwall who pay like shit so surely they could have signed him?

• Paid Members
I can't believe Reading are down there, they've got quality in every position, except perhaps the front line, which is unproven. If I could take any player in the division, it'd be Jobi McAnuff.

This got me thinking, is there some kind of statistic out there for teams that have been beaten in Championship play-off finals that have gone on to have a terrible spell afterwards? I can think of Leeds, Bristol City and Sheffield United off the top of my head. But then other teams like West Ham came back and won it the next year, and Norwich were promoted two years after their own playoff dissapointment. Also, teams that tend to finish just outside the playoff spots rather than actually making the top six seem to push on the next season. I can imagine as a group of players it must be an epic dissapointment coming so close, just missing out on the Premiership and subsequently dreading having to come back for another season of potential heartbreak.

Archived