Defending Mr. Warrior

• Paid Members

Different era altogether wasn't it? Look at the other names at the time - Mr Perfect, Million Dollar Man and so forth. Did exactly what it said on the tin.

Not knowing any better, I would expect "The Ultimate Warrior" to at least carry a sword, mind.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Speaking of the Warrior how generic a name was The Ultimate Warrior? Its amazing it got over really, its not even a name really, its like a description of somebody. Imagine if somebody debuted on RAW next week called An Impenetrable Man and wore colourful tassles do you think he'd got over?

I bet it was epic back in the day though because such a name probably wasn't heard of.

To be honest mind, I'd take An Impenetrable Man over Braden Walker and Michael McGillicutty.

• Paid Members
Different era altogether wasn't it? Look at the other names at the time - Mr Perfect, Million Dollar Man and so forth. Did exactly what it said on the tin.

Not knowing any better, I would expect "The Ultimate Warrior" to at least carry a sword, mind.

Weird thing is, though, his gimmick may have just been an idea thrown together, but (and I'm not sure how intentional it was) it ended up being, in essence, a very stylised Native American gimmick. The tassels, the "warpaint", the "war-dance", the "mystical" promos delivered in a very pronounced way (like in the old Westerns), even the way he ran seemed like how an Indian brave would have.

In this respect (and in retrospect), the name "Ultimate Warrior" sounds very apt.

• Paid Members

Came from Dingo Warrior after all. Could have been worse, could have been Super Redskin or Big Chief Talking Bollocks.

Warrior was good in that he was over as fuck! Every time he did anything the roof came off of a building, that my friends is a good worker. Giving people what they wanted to see, that what people apparently wanted to see was a batshit crazy, roid freak talk shite, gorilla press a man then go home is not the issue.

• Paid Members

I loved Warrior. I was always a bigger Warrior fan than Hogan to be honest. He was cool as fuck. The entrance, the facepaint, the colours, the nutty interviews, shaking the ropes. I appreciate Hogan more now but to me back then he had fuck all on the Warrior for excitement.

As someone has said, everything he did made him stand out, but one of the things that really really worked for some reason was the music........ the music hit and the place would explode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gotta be one of the best wrestling themes ever right?

• Paid Members
Big Chief Talking Bollocks.

Calling all UK promoters: make this happen. NOW.

Warrior was good in that he was over as fuck! Every time he did anything the roof came off of a building, that my friends is a good worker. Giving people what they wanted to see, that what people apparently wanted to see was a batshit crazy, roid freak talk shite, gorilla press a man then go home is not the issue.

It kind of is the issue, though. I don't disagree that's what people wanted to see, but what's also obvious is that they wouldn't have wanted to see it much longer. There's only so long that lasts before it gets stale, and then you have to do Something Else. Unfortunately for Big Jim, doing Something Else appears to have been beyond his capabilities, and that's why he draws the criticism he does.

I would've fucking loved to see Warrior evolve a little and take the place earmarked for him by his potential amongst the biggest names.

True, id just like to know how thrown together the character and gimmick was. At the time Ultimate Warrior shouldnt have stood out on paper I dont think and as your say, the word Warrior makes you think of some medieval sword carrying epic fighter with a metal suit.

Id bet a fair amount that the whole thing took off 1000x more than they expected.

• Paid Members

True, id just like to know how thrown together the character and gimmick was. At the time Ultimate Warrior shouldnt have stood out on paper I dont think and as your say, the word Warrior makes you think of some medieval sword carrying epic fighter with a metal suit.

Id bet a fair amount that the whole thing took off 1000x more than they expected.

To be fair, with all the colour, tassels and paint that people adored in the 80s, I don't think there was much chance of him failing, even if he'd been called Archibald Supernonce - add his sheer (albeit "assisted") energy, and I think there was even less chance of failure. Look at Brutus Beefcake - nothing particularly great, but a memorable character.

Archived