2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

Well it won't matter, now you've given up on Scottish football altogether, will it? :rolleyes:

I've not been dancing on any graves throughout this. I'm as outraged by this as I am by Vodafone or Goldman Sachs or Phillip Green or any other massive cunt of a tax-dodger. The fact that it's Rangers, and their hypocrisy and lies have harmed a sport and a club (two, if you count my secret Aberdeen sympathies) I care about it makes it all the more important to me that they suffer the appropriate punishment. C'mon though - I know Dean isn't Scottish and can't be expected to have followed the whole story closely, but coming in with the Green/Whyte comment at this stage of the game warranted a wee giggle.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well it won't matter, now you've given up on Scottish football altogether, will it? :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be so sure. I was thinking today about the idea of having Saturday afternoons with no Motherwell game to go to, no pre-match pub banter, no post-match crying into my pint and so forth.

26 years is a lot to throw away, so there's a chance that once I attend a few of our glamour pre-Champions League friendlies against Ayr United & Raith I'll get swept away in it all and renew my season ticket.

I honestly don't know how The Rangers can possibly be let back in. The dual contracts things is surely going to get them relegated retrospectively anyway and there's a strong case for making them accept the punishment that will replace the transfer ban, i.e. suspension or expulsion from the SFA. The assets Green has purchased could yet be chased by the liquidators since they were clearly sold for less than they were worth (and oddly for exactly the amount the adminstrators were said to be owed from the whole debacle.) At the same time, no redundancies is extremely unusual for any business in adminstration, particularly with the wages some of them are on. In the meantime, since The Rangers isn't an SFA member, it apparently can't actually hold player registrations so it's applying to become a member of the SPL without a playing squad of any kind actually in place, nor any accounts.

I just hope the other SPL clubs vote against the transfer. If they vote in favour, they may end up just prolonging the madness for far too long. At least if they vote no, The Rangers can sit out for a year while the SPL gets re-structured and then get re-admitted next year by invitation. In the meantime they can play a bunch of friendlies and fundraisers against anyone that will come near them. Their fans are probably defiant enough to stick that out, whereas maintaining the running costs at Ibrox on 3rd Division money might actually do even more harm.

In regards to the Sky money; whereas it seems the Daily Record certainly seemed to make the story up one question is still pertinent. If Rangers go down to the third division, as I think they should, then why the fuck would any company pay the same money to cover the game? A rhetorical question is were you in charge of Sky, or whichever broadcaster, would you pay the same money? Even if Rangers are allowed back into the SPL or pumped down a single division the subsequent sanctions shall make the championship a foregone conclusion for at least a few seasons. Again why would anyone pay the previously agreed rate/fee to cover it, will the advertising revenue be the same - as I doubt it, could a tight league watching Celtic canter to titles attract fans to the ground? I love football and it upsets me to see fans dicked about by broadcasters but I can't help remember that the SPL2 proposals always made me wonder where the audiences attending and watching on TV would come from. Anyhooz, my long winded - sorry about that - and pessimistic point is I fear the game up here shall lose customers, TV audiences and broadcasters; especially in these financially difficult times

Another point regarding potential boycotts threatened by Rangers supporters groups and (as I understand it and if I am wrong then sorry) subsequent threats by supporters of other clubs seems to ignore one thing. Rangers won't be a strong club or contender next season and how long will the Rangers fans put up with watching a team not guaranteed a victory in what - seventy per cent - of the games they play? The same could be said were it Celtic up shit creek as I am trying to be balanced but is it not likely that another dismal few performances will see Ibrox half empty anyway?

Apologies for the pessimism

Shuggy

What about you, Kenny? Are you renewing your season ticket? I know plenty of Celtic fans who aren't.

I've renewed because I won't punish my own club for the idiocy of any other. I'd just cancel the DDEB if Celtic voted yes to a NewCo, which they won't anyway.

• Paid Members
In regards to the Sky money; whereas it seems the Daily Record certainly seemed to make the story up one question is still pertinent. If Rangers go down to the third division, as I think they should, then why the fuck would any company pay the same money to cover the game? A rhetorical question is were you in charge of Sky, or whichever broadcaster, would you pay the same money? Even if Rangers are allowed back into the SPL or pumped down a single division the subsequent sanctions shall make the championship a foregone conclusion for at least a few seasons. Again why would anyone pay the previously agreed rate/fee to cover it, will the advertising revenue be the same - as I doubt it, could a tight league watching Celtic canter to titles attract fans to the ground? I love football and it upsets me to see fans dicked about by broadcasters but I can't help remember that the SPL2 proposals always made me wonder where the audiences attending and watching on TV would come from. Anyhooz, my long winded - sorry about that - and pessimistic point is I fear the game up here shall lose customers, TV audiences and broadcasters; especially in these financially difficult times

Another point regarding potential boycotts threatened by Rangers supporters groups and (as I understand it and if I am wrong then sorry) subsequent threats by supporters of other clubs seems to ignore one thing. Rangers won't be a strong club or contender next season and how long will the Rangers fans put up with watching a team not guaranteed a victory in what - seventy per cent - of the games they play? The same could be said were it Celtic up shit creek as I am trying to be balanced but is it not likely that another dismal few performances will see Ibrox half empty anyway?

Apologies for the pessimism

Shuggy

It's not the fact that Sky are wanting to lessen the deal... it's the fact that (This may be unrealistic) that a TV deal is based on 2 teams. How can you negotiate a deal for a sporting product that includes promotion and relegation and guarantee that the same 2 teams will be in the league for the duration of the deal?

Again, if Rangers were last purely due to shiteyness... would the SPL hault all relegation for that season due to the loss or decrease in TV funds?

It's totally corrupt!

• Paid Members

There are big changes afoot at board level at Aberdeen FC. Possibly worrying times ahead...

Aberdeen Football Club today announces the appointment of Executive Vice Chairman, George Yule, to the board as the Club gears up to strengthen its position within the Scottish game.

The appointment of George to this new role strengthens the board and the executive team, as the Club prepares for the greatest challenge in its history with the forthcoming relocation from Pittodrie to the new stadium at Loirston - while also playing its part in helping address the fundamental issues facing the Scottish game.

The landscape of football in Scotland has changed almost beyond recognition and the very economics of the game have been transformed, forcing Clubs to think radically about their role, their business model and every aspect of how they manage themselves.

Well known local businessman George Yule, currently President of Aberdeen and Grampian Chamber of Commerce, will take up the new position of Executive Vice Chairman to help steer the Club through these challenging times, at the same time driving it forward as it aims to achieve substantial growth.

Chairman Stewart Milne believes Mr Yule, who is currently the Chair of Aberdeen Sports Village and will arrive at Pittodrie from July 1, is a welcome and necessary addition to the Club.

He said: "I am extremely pleased that George, who has a wealth of contacts and experience in all sectors has agreed to come on board at this absolutely crucial time in our history. I believe his enthusiasm, experience and judgement will add focus and momentum to the future direction of the Club.

"We need a step-change in how the Club is run if we are to deliver our vision of delivering the new stadium and soccer academy, and be in a position to take full advantage of these fantastic new facilities when we move.

"At the same time we will be pushing forward our plan to achieve substantial growth over the next three years, and George will play a pivotal role in bringing about this step change.

"It is testament to Duncan's ability that he has managed so well for so long, but any other business would not be relying on one senior executive to deal with the pressing day to day issues as well as planning for and managing the future in what is a very challenging environment, and nor can we.

"Duncan will continue to oversee the day to day running of the football and non-football aspects of the Club, and represent us at SPL level where I believe he will play a major role as Scottish football goes into a period of fundamental change. I strongly believe Aberdeen Football Club must play a significant role in this period of uncertainty.

"George and Duncan working together will give us an exceptionally strong executive team."

George Yule, a native Aberdonian and life-long Dons supporter, is also Patron of the Aberdeen branch of Befriend a Child which provides support for deprived and vulnerable children in the city.

With his new role encompassing a seat on the Board, five of the current Directors are stepping down; Ken Matheson and Chris Gavin with immediate effect, while Martin Gilbert and Hugh Little will depart following transfer of Aberdeen Asset Management's shares in the club to other individuals predominantly the new Board members.

Willie Miller will also step down from the Board

"Aberdeen Asset Management has been a tremendous supporter of the Club for a great number of years but, with the organisation's focus on its core asset management business, feel that the involvement in AFC has reached a natural conclusion.

"They will however continue to support the Club. AAM's shares in the Club meantime will later be transferred to other individuals predominantly the new board members and Martin and Hugh will step down following the completion of those transactions.

"I would like to publicly thank AAM for the substantial contribution the company has made to this Club, as it has been absolutely crucial over a very challenging period.

"Ken and Chris both indicated their intentions to step down some time ago and their input over a considerable period of time has been invaluable. Ken's experience in corporate banking has assisted the Club through the difficult conditions in that sector. Chris has given real input and was instrumental in setting up the AFC Former Players Association. Chris has agreed to continue to assist the Club with supporters' groups and George Yule and Ian Jack will also be centrally involved in supporter issues. Chris will also continue to play a significant role in the AFC Heritage Trust, which he helped set up.

"Clubs have always faced challenges which vary in nature and gravity, none more so than what lies ahead over the next few years. We have an obligation to our supporters, shareholders and all those associated with the Club to ensure we are fit for the future, and have the best resources available to us. We believe George's appointment as executive Vice Chairman does exactly that."

"Moving forward, the streamlined Board comprising Duncan Fraser, Gordon Buchan, Ian Jack, George Yule, Colin Welsh and myself incorporates, I believe, the skill sets, the drive and ambition required to ensure the successful delivery, both on and off the park, that our fan base quite rightly demands."

What about you, Kenny? Are you renewing your season ticket? I know plenty of Celtic fans who aren't.

I've renewed because I won't punish my own club for the idiocy of any other. I'd just cancel the DDEB if Celtic voted yes to a NewCo, which they won't anyway.

But will clubs votes actually be made public?

But will clubs votes actually be made public?

Even if they're not officially, it'll be common knowledge soon enough.

Even in the death throws, there is always a curve ball.

Rangers plan to buy Bury, according to er, The Sun.

It's nothing but entertainment in this saga is it? What's next, resurrecting the Atlantic League

Exactly, if it was that easy Celtic & Rangers would have did this years ago, fuck I remember Fergus McCann wanting to buy Wimbledon back in 1996. Green seems to be getting desperate now.

Archived