2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

• Paid Members

Except Sky have already said the deal is safe, the only way Rangers departure will cause any other club to die is if they need the ticket sales from the Rangers home game to survive. Any club in such a situation would die anyway.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Except Sky have already said the deal is safe

Yeah, it's safe just now (as I bet nothing is in that contract regarding what would happen if either of the Old Firm was relegated), but don't expect Sky to renew it if "The Rangers

• Paid Members
Exactly, you'd have to be mad to think Sky would bother about Scottish football, or at least to same degree, without any Old Firm games

What other football leagues does Sky show besides the EPL & La Liga?

Occasional Northern Irish game, for some reason.

Exactly, you'd have to be mad to think Sky would bother about Scottish football, or at least to same degree, without any Old Firm games

My point is, the SPL will still get shown on ESPN and Sky in some form. They're not going to drop it because Rangers aren't there.

Fans wanting to stop Rangers should do two things: write to Sky and explain that you'll be cancelling your subscription if Rangers are let back in and announce a boycott of clubs who vote in favour of the newco being allowed in. Rangers fans are already threatening boycotts of clubs that don't support them, so it's only fair that the teams that do the wrong thing suffer some consequences. Let's see Rangers keep you in business when no other fans will spend a penny at your ground for at least a few seasons.

• Paid Members

My point is, the SPL will still get shown on ESPN and Sky in some form. They're not going to drop it because Rangers aren't there.

True.

The problem is Sky already treat the non-Old Firm games as nothing more than schedule fillers. They aren't going to pay even close to the amount they are currently paying without the only games they care about. I also think we'd see a lot more games having to be played at stupid times, solely to suit Sky, which would have a negative effect on both attendance and sponsors.

On the other hand, Clubs could vote Rangers back in, keep the TV deal and use the money from sanctions/higher league placing/European Football to make changes that will benefit their Club long term.

I will say again that I think it's a ridiculous situation and Rangers shouldn't be allowed straight back into the SPL. Scottish Football has needed a complete overhaul for at least a decade and the merging of the SPL and the SFL and introduction of a pyramid scheme should be the start of some drastic changes.

I think there definitely needs to be a concentrated effort on helping our teams progress in Europe, increasing the co-efficient and bringing more money and credibility into our game. With Rangers an irrelevance in Europe now regardless of what happens and the Title Celtic's to lose, I can't see why this shouldn't be Scottish Football's top priority going forward.

Daily Mail.

Sky has rubbished claims it is set to pull the plug on Scottish football if Rangers are not playing in the top flight next season.

The satellite broadcaster which, together with ESPN, is three years into a

• Paid Members
Daily Mail.

Sky has rubbished claims it is set to pull the plug on Scottish football if Rangers are not playing in the top flight next season.

The satellite broadcaster which, together with ESPN, is three years into a

• Paid Members

See the traditional Old Firm Boxing Day derby has been put in place between "Club 12" and Celtic. Looking at the small amount of fixtures on the Beeb website, they don't appear to have bothered about "Club 12" been at home on the same day as Celtic or Dundee Utd.

Archived