2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry Stylin and Profilin... Think Division One beckons.

Yup, been delaying the inevitable for a while to be honest. Just nowhere near good enough over the piece with possible exception of Davie Graham, Joe Cardle and Andrew Dowie. Defence was horrible all year and the guys brought in preseason were not up to the level required which is bad enough as its the worst standard of football i can remember in the Premier League.Lots of them out of cintract however so a good chance to clear the decks for the first division and wipe out the dead wood. Think Dundee will be the team to beat.

Can someone clarify for me exactly the best and worst case scenarios for Rangers?From what I can make out, they have lost one preferred bidder down to Rangers fans not wanting an American in charge and also apparently they over-egged how well the club could be doing in 5-10 years time.Also whats happening with the money forwarded by Ticketus?

Depends on the spineless SPL and SFL. If Rangers go bankrupt, it's conceivable that a Phoenix club could apply to fill the void in Div 3. They won't be relegated.The best case for Scotland is that Rangers lose the FTT, are charged with a bill based on the EBT contributions being treated as post-tax earnings, the interest and a penalty for underpayment, probably

Depends on the spineless SPL and SFL. If Rangers go bankrupt, it's conceivable that a Phoenix club could apply to fill the void in Div 3. They won't be relegated.The best case for Scotland is that Rangers lose the FTT, are charged with a bill based on the EBT contributions being treated as post-tax earnings, the interest and a penalty for underpayment, probably

• Paid Members

Frankly, those involved in Scottish football are mental if they allow Rangers to vanish into mediocrity in the 3rd Division (and/or go bust), football is 'business' after all and Scottish football badly needs the Old Firm to survive at a decent - as much as others refuse to accept this, it's true. This is Scottish football though, where idiotic decisions (made by people ladened with their little agendas) have turned the game into what it is today. Just another in a long line of fuck ups.

Frankly, those involved in Scottish football are mental if they allow Rangers to vanish into mediocrity in the 3rd Division (and/or go bust), football is 'business' after all and Scottish football badly needs the Old Firm to survive at a decent - as much as others refuse to accept this, it's true. This is Scottish football though, where idiotic decisions (made by people ladened with their little agendas) have turned the game into what it is today. Just another in a long line of fuck ups.

You cannot be serious with the highlighted part. Surely a brainfart?

• Paid Members

"Just another in a long line of fuck ups" me too.What I was getting at was, I believe that the saving of Rangers is vital in protecting the long term future of Scottish football. The money coming in to the league is already meagre, the idea of them trying to run a decent standard league without the money Rangers bring in is scary. TV deals, sponsorship, gate money, all of that will be severely effected, and you have the potential snow ball effect of other teams finding themselves in a similar situation. Rangers should be allowed special allowances by those that handed them their punishments, and other clubs need to think long term about this too - looking at this from a business point of view, of course.Speaking of which, how long until the Sky deal is up?

What I was getting at was, I believe that the saving of Rangers is vital in protecting the long term future of Scottish football. The money coming in to the league is already meagre, the idea of them trying to run a decent standard league without the money Rangers bring in is scary. TV deals, sponsorship, gate money, all of that will be severely effected, and you have the potential snow ball effect of other teams finding themselves in a similar situation. Rangers should be allowed special allowances by those that handed them their punishments, and other clubs need to think long term about this too - looking at this from a business point of view, of course.

You're making it sound like others make a decision on whether they live or die. They don't. The 3rd division or SPL argument is one thing, but that's all dependant on them sorting out their business, paying the 300 organisations they owe, and being able to survive themselves or start up a new club. If they go bust, it's a natural process brought on by their years of cheating, financial scams, and not paying debts. It's not for someone to make a decision on.What you say with regards to the consequences of them being out of the SPL is probably true, but you omit the other side of the argument, which most fans of every other Scottish team believe; Let them back in the SPL and integrity and fair play is out the window. Scottish football's fucked for the foreseeable future anyway thanks to them. Many Celtic and wee team fans have indicated that they'd be through with it all (or at least putting money into the game) in the event of a newco being given a spot, so revenue's going to be lost either way (albeit it's probably just bluster by many of them). The difference is, if it's lost through Rangers not being part of the league, it's only going to last 3 years. If it's through other teams fans chucking it because the league has been proven to be nothing but a sham, then that money's out the game permanently and Scottish football is tarnished forever. If it's considered a joke league now, then god knows what it would be like in the future after rewarding cheating and punishing fair play for the sake of a few years tv deal.I think the sky deal's up next week. There's a new one on the table for

Still don't believe that the SPL needs Rangers/Old Firm to survive. Funny how this argument wasn't going about when the other ten threatened to quit the league, or from what I've been told, when Celtic were going bust.Hibernian vs Dunfermline at Easter Road last week had an attendance of over 15,000. Where do Rangers feature in that?

Archived