Which half of Ireland is better?

FLips

• Paid Members

Me and the girlfriend are planning on going to Ireland for her 21st as neither of us have been there, and we havn't been abroad yet. Not to mention the flights are scarily cheap. I was thinking Belfast, she was thinking Dublin so we're torn which one to go to. I'd like advice from residents, members who have been to either of them on which one would be better for a two night break?.

Looking for;

Good shopping

Nice places to eat

Nice places to see

Theatres similar to London's west end, obviously not expecting the same shows or anything, but a good standard and recognisable shows.

Good transport

We've seen a couple of places in both that seem like alright places to stay, but if you guys have any suggestions I'd welcome them.

Also, without getting into a religious debate, I'd like a simple answer on which one has less religious terrorism. Cheers.

• Paid Members
Me and the girlfriend are planning on going to Ireland for her 21st as neither of us have been there, and we havn't been abroad yet. Not to mention the flights are scarily cheap. I was thinking Belfast, she was thinking Dublin so we're torn which one to go to. I'd like advice from residents, members who have been to either of them on which one would be better for a two night break?.

Looking for;

Good shopping

Nice places to eat

Nice places to see

Theatres similar to London's west end, obviously not expecting the same shows or anything, but a good standard and recognisable shows.

Good transport

We've seen a couple of places in both that seem like alright places to stay, but if you guys have any suggestions I'd welcome them.

Also, without getting into a religious debate, I'd like a simple answer on which one has less religious terrorism. Cheers.

Neither Belfast or Dublin have any real religious terrorism threat that you should be worried about. I currently live in Belfast but I imagine you'd have more fun in Dublin as there'd be alot more choice of things to do and places to go/visit.

Looking for;

Good shopping

Nice places to eat

Nice places to see

Good transport

Neither Belfast or Dublin have any real religious terrorism threat that you should be worried about. I currently live in Belfast but I imagine you'd have more fun in Dublin as there'd be alot more choice of things to do and places to go/visit.

If you choose Dublin make sure you have plenty of spending money. A few of us went last year and a good half day was spent walking round pointing at things shouting "how much???". I think a Big Mac meal was something ridiculous like

• Paid Members

Looking for;

Good shopping

Nice places to eat

Nice places to see

Good transport

If you choose Dublin make sure you have plenty of spending money. A few of us went last year and a good half day was spent walking round pointing at things shouting "how much???". I think a Big Mac meal was something ridiculous like

I echo the above. Dublin is disgustingly expensive BUT Belfast has Nordies and they're the worst mutants around. So yeah, go with Dublin I guess. As for good spots, you can't beat a night at The George.

Just got back from a few days in Ireland, spent a couple of days in Dublin and a couple of days in Cork. Dublin's expensive as anything but it's a lovely city, friendly and plenty to do tourist wise.

Never been to Belfast but a mate who lives there tells me it's a top night out.

• Paid Members
When I went to Belfast for UFC 72, I was stunned by the ugliness of the women and the lack of black people.

Never been to the countryside then? (Or North Wales at least)

I must say I prefer Belfast to Dublin. Most Nordies seem genuinely pleased to speak to you while Dubliners are so used to tourists that they are just going through the motions.

Which is somewhat odd seeing as i'm heading on the ferry to Dublin on Friday.

Well I hate living in Belfast, but looking at it from a visiting perspective I'm sure you'd have a great time. You can walk to everything you want (if you are only visiting the city itself) its small and tight knit and its a fun night out. Its also cheap compared to Dublin. There is actually some really fun stuff today if you're not a twat.

Dublin is bigger obviously and in my opinion is a whole lot of fun, but really fucking expensive, and I mean REALLY expensive.

Are you just going to visit the city or are you up for sight seeing around the countryside/further out from the city?

Nordies

Free Stater

Anyway, probably a little biased here myself so that all of this into account. Depending on how long you're staying in either city, it's not too hard to go on a day trip to the other if your take the Enterprise train service which runs between the two cities, the journey takes just over two hours each way. I'll echo what's already been said here that Dublin is an expensive city especially in the touristy areas and I'd avoid the Temple Bar myself too, but if you have the money its a decent city at night. Belfast is much cheaper in pretty much all ways except filling your car up with diesel but in terms of shopping Belfast isn't much different than many British cities in terms of choice available or for prices. Dublin isn't much better and again, more expensive.

In terms of going out, the Golden Mile along the Malone Road in South Belfast is probably the best part of the city to go to and is quite close to the city centre too. Nightlife is also good too though my advice would be to stay away from the Botanic Inn aka The Bot on weekday nights especially during university terms as its just too popular and you can't move about. Sectarianism isn't really a problem, neither will any strong accents as long as you don't make a twat of yourself through voicing opinions or something really stupid like wearing an England jersey down the Falls Road. Belfast just has its less desirable areas like nearly any other place.

Neither Belfast or Dublin is really known for any West End style theatre, in Belfast probably the best place for the Arts would be the Grand Opera House. Queens Student Union would also have some stuff during term times but very little outside of it. For more pop culture material, the Odyssey Arena is the main spot - it's hosting the MTV EMA's in November.

In terms of scenery and outdoor activity, there's plenty of stuff not too far from both cities. In Belfast's case you have the Antrim Glens and the Mourne Mountains within an hours drive. Lough Neagh is a big lake but there's little to do about there apart from the Oxford Island Nature Reserve. The Giants Causeway is a big tourist sport along the north Antrim coast that is clich

When I went to Belfast for UFC 72, I was stunned by the ugliness of the women and the lack of black people.

Good reason for that, the post WWII industry boom in Britain never really caught on in Belfast which had its own internal problems governed by an executive that was suspicious of any outsiders even from Britain, and the troubles made it even worse. It was hardly an attractive place to move to several thousand miles away from home. Belfast and NI in general (and to a near enough extent much of the Republic as well) is quite a mono-ethnic place. South Belfast would be the most cosmopolitan part of NI and even that's not saying much.

Archived