Film MVPs

Carbomb

• Paid Members

Experimental idea, but let's give it a shot. It's a shame Gladstone Small and Loki have been chucked, as I was hoping they'd get involved, but I'll keep it on this movie long enough for them to come back and contribute. Plus, we've always got Seven as well.

Just been watching The Good, The Bad & The Ugly, and I don't think it's unfair to say it's an awesome movie which divides opinion as to who the stand-out actor in it is. A lot of people would say Clint Eastwood, as he's the main guy, it's one of "his" movies, and he's ultra-cool in it.

For me, however, it's Lee Van Cleef. I've always thought he was one of the coolest-looking fuckers around, and he's excellent in For A Few Dollars More (which is probably my favourite Western), but in TGTB&TU he's stellar as the absolute personification of evil. Watching this guy work, there's a real feeling of almost snake-like deadliness, especially in his eyes, but his overall movements and aura make him one of the classic bad guys of all time, in my opinion.

BUT - I have heard many who would tout Eli Wallach as being the stand-out, and I can see why. He swings between stupidity, desperation, cunning and intensity, and comes across as the desperado of his title role. You look at this guy and think: "He's a spluttering, beastlike headcase, but he's no mug - and he'll kill you faster than an NHS lunch."

Which of the three do you reckon it is? Or, perhaps, you feel there's a fourth not being discussed?

Films thus far:

#1. The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

#2. Heat

#3. The Sting

• Paid Members

I think all three give great performances and that's what makes the movie, Van Kleef and Eastwood work really well together as seen in For a few Dollars more and Wallach adds a different dimension in this one, If I had to go for a standout in this I'd probably go for Van Kleef, he's class as the evil badguy with no remorse, he's just a cunt and plays the role to perfection.

Eli Wallach. It's been a fair few years since I watched it, but his sweaty, desperate face is my abiding memory of the film.

All the film fans on here, and no-one thinks this could be a goer?

Don't worry, I'm gonna download it and give an opinion soon. Its so long since I last saw it, I don't feel I can be justified in an opinion till I freshen my memory, others may feel the same. I do like the thread idea though.

I downloaded the extended version of the movie and watched all 3 hours, so long since I saw it last it was like watching it for the first time which was pretty cool. Glad this thread gave me the push to re-watch it really.

I gotta agree with La Goosh at the end of the day, all 3 guys are superb but Wallach just gets much more to do in the film and his character is the most entertaining to watch. There really is no chance of a 4th option on this one, its a 3 horse race, I can't fault anyone for picking any other of the 3 leads, just personal choice really.

I doubt anyone else is gonna post so hopefully in a day or two you'll do the next movie. Maybe summat with a bigger cast like Tombstone or The Untouchables, whatever I'm going with the flow here.

• Paid Members

Good to see you've gotten into the spirit of things, Hyperion. And everyone else who's posted so far. I know there's probably not as much scope for detail as there would be a "My Greatest Film..." or Film Review thread, but I think it's a fun game to play.

I might as well do the next one:

(will get rid of the weeks thing, I'll just number them)#2: Heat

Probably the next most obvious of all such films, it's a fucking great one anyway. And we all know who the obvious two are.

But perhaps, in addition to DeNiro and Pacino, you maybe feel Kilmer gets a look-in? Personally, I don't, and feel DeNiro just tips it ahead of Pacino in this one, but not by far.

I agree, its good for a laugh, no need for huge essays of analysis unless that's someones bag.

Anyway Heat, Wooo, one I've seen about a dozen times as recently as a couple of months ago, so no need to brush up this time plus a wealth of great actors to choose from. I think this is my favourite Val Kilmer role actually, it just seemed to go downhill for him after Heat till I can hardly believe the guy today and the guy in Heat are the same bloke. However Pacino & DeNiro are the main contenders, Pacino has been accused of over acting in this and I do believe in the original screenplay it was going to show him having a coke habit which would have explained his occasional wide eyed outbursts. Pacino is great fun to watch but I'm tipping the hat to Deniro on this one, he does an amazing job and makes it look almost effortless on his part cause he's such a good actor in the role, plus you feel the whole movie revolves around him, he's the top of the tree in the bad guy stakes and all the good guys are running round after him.

• Paid Members

Personally I think Heat is incredibly overrated. Nowhere near the classic people make it out to be. Michael Mann is an incredibly overrated director. Having said that the ban scene is incredibly. This is a hard one to decide as De Niro and Pacino are basically just playing typical De Niro and Pacino.

I couldn't disagree with the previous post more - it's one of my top two or three films ever - but I'll add the coda that it's a film that I didn't really appreciate until the third or fourth time I saw it.

As it's also my favourite De Niro performance ever, it should be no surprise who I'm going for here. Neil Macauley is a very surly, efficient, calculating character, and injecting the element of humanity into someone with that level of cold-hearted professionalism is the key to the performance for me. You can see his own level of inner conflict and sense of foreboding building the closer he gets to Edie. I didn't realise how much sympathy I had for him until the final scene, and I love films with the ability to divide an audience over which character to side with.

• Paid Members

Can I suggest Leon, Goodfellas and True Romance for future discussions? I'd love to hear people's opinion on MVP for those (particularly the first 2).

Not suggesting these are the top of my best ever film list, but I think each has great performances from more than one of the cast.

• Paid Members

Will keep them in mind. Next one, though:

#3: The Sting

One of my favourite movies of all time. It's got everything: twists, action, great dialogue, great plot and great performances. You might disagree, but I think the plaudits for the best performances in the movie are up for dispute amongst three guys: Robert Redford, Paul Newman, and Robert Shaw.

Now, for me, it's Robert Shaw, who's monstrous as the gangster boss, Doyle Lonnegan. Menacing, brisk, businesslike. He's the best performer in the movie, but I also think Paul Newman isn't that far behind as Henry Gondorff, a wise-cracking, but incredibly jaded, conman.

Redford's great as the main character, Johnny Hooker, but I think he's definitely the weakest of the three. You, however, may disagree.

Anyone else in contention? Perhaps Eileen Brennan as the razor-tongued, sarcastic Billie? Or Charles Durning, who did a superb turn as the incompetent, corrupt and downright despicable Lt. Snyder?

• Paid Members
Will keep them in mind. Next one, though:

#3: The Sting

One of my favourite movies of all time. It's got everything: twists, action, great dialogue, great plot and great performances. You might disagree, but I think the plaudits for the best performances in the movie are up for dispute amongst three guys: Robert Redford, Paul Newman, and Robert Shaw.

Now, for me, it's Robert Shaw, who's monstrous as the gangster boss, Doyle Lonnegan. Menacing, brisk, businesslike. He's the best performer in the movie, but I also think Paul Newman isn't that far behind as Henry Gondorff, a wise-cracking, but incredibly jaded, conman.

Redford's great as the main character, Johnny Hooker, but I think he's definitely the weakest of the three. You, however, may disagree.

Anyone else in contention? Perhaps Eileen Brennan as the razor-tongued, sarcastic Billie? Or Charles Durning, who did a superb turn as the incompetent, corrupt and downright despicable Lt. Snyder?

It has to be Shaw, The guy manages to ooze menace, the Poker scene being a great example. Its an odd film to choose because outside of the main 3 actors no one really gets enough character development but the film has some great character actors, Durning as mentioned and Ray Walston as well

Archived