Wrestlemania 27 DVD Edited

iamgashface

I can understand kids doing it because as a child you will always be impressionable - hence why Cena is so over with that demographic. But the Mania audience is largely more adult, long-serving fans who make their judgements based on who they like and not who they are supposed to like. Hence the booing for Cena

Really? You sure its not just that a proportuion of them (I'm not going to make a generalisation and say all) are being told by different people to like certain people? You know, the ones who read magazines and newsites and are encouraged to think so and so is useless or so and so is brilliant and just follow that like sheep? They're still sheep. Lets not make out that all smart fans make their judgements purely based on their own opinions andn ot some opinions of some 'journalist' somewhere.

Amen to that.

Seriosuly, a-fucking-men dude.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For my money, the most perfect match I've ever seen (which ended the most perfect PPV I've ever seen) was Austin/Rock at Wrestlemania 17. In a perfect world, the crowd acknowledge the Austin heel turn and boo him and Vince out of the building at the end of match. But the fact that they popped like fuck when Austin won after battering Rock with the chair is just one of those idiosyncracies that helps to make the whole thing so great.

Today, they'd have edited in a load of boos, and quickly cut from the incongruously happy people to a stock shot of a crying child in a Rock t-shirt. I'm afraid this is just another example of Vince building his product around what HE wants to see, rather than what his audience wants to see - as is increasingly the case with his stupid 'entertainment' fetish, he thinks he's making a self-contained piece of art rather than an interactive live event. He might as well change the name of the fucking show, because as long as it's called 'Wrestlemania', John Cena will be getting loudly booed.

Plenty of people didn't like Hogan, and I can't remember him getting anything like the amount of negative reaction Cena gets at major events. I don't understand people that think that WWE is somehow "theirs", more than it is Vince McMahon's. Cena is kept on top because he is the most popular performer on the roster by a large margin, among the regular fans who make up the vast majority of WWE's fanbase. It's just big events like WrestleMania that attract a different, more bitter and twisted demographic of fans.

Why do the people pay hundreds - if not thousands - of dollars, to see a show that is headlined by an entertainer they despise? Is there any other form of entertainment where this happens?

isnt that the role of every top heel?

Plenty of people didn't like Hogan, and I can't remember him getting anything like the amount of negative reaction Cena gets at major events. I don't understand people that think that WWE is somehow "theirs", more than it is Vince McMahon's. Cena is kept on top because he is the most popular performer on the roster by a large margin, among the regular fans who make up the vast majority of WWE's fanbase. It's just big events like WrestleMania that attract a different, more bitter and twisted demographic of fans.

What about those fans who booed The Rock when he wrestled Hogan and Austin and he was playing the face? It happens. Those probably weren't the reactions Vince was looking for, but he wasn't so petty as to edit them out. I wouldn't call the people who booed him 'bitter and twisted' either - they just happened to like his opponents more.

Unfortunately, Cena has always been a polarising babyface, and he's only getting staler now, so the boos will only get louder. His act's just not entertaining anymore, but that doesn't necessarily mean the people booing him 'despise' him. I'm a big fan of Gene Hackman, but I probably wouldn't have been so enamoured with him if he'd just spent the majority of his career playing Popeye Doyle. Even the best performers (Austin, Hogan and Rock) have to change up their act every so often, and it's simply that time for Cena.

I thought Cena should probably have turned heel at WrestleMania. But he's still the most popular performer in WWE by a large margin, and they really don't have anyone waiting in the wings to replace him as top dog. WWE got their hands burnt once before when they turned Austin with no replacement ready, and they've never been able to get back to that level of popularity again.

Definetly Jesster.

For my money, the most perfect match I've ever seen (which ended the most perfect PPV I've ever seen) was Austin/Rock at Wrestlemania 17. In a perfect world, the crowd acknowledge the Austin heel turn and boo him and Vince out of the building at the end of match. But the fact that they popped like fuck when Austin won after battering Rock with the chair is just one of those idiosyncracies that helps to make the whole thing so great.

Today, they'd have edited in a load of boos, and quickly cut from the incongruously happy people to a stock shot of a crying child in a Rock t-shirt. I'm afraid this is just another example of Vince building his product around what HE wants to see, rather than what his audience wants to see - as is increasingly the case with his stupid 'entertainment' fetish, he thinks he's making a self-contained piece of art rather than an interactive live event. He might as well change the name of the fucking show, because as long as it's called 'Wrestlemania', John Cena will be getting loudly booed.

Come on. It's not like it's something new they do. It's not something they've only done since they've been evil PG, or evil HD, or evil not wrestling. The Mania 18 DVD, one year after the perfect world you're remembering was edited so the boos for The Rock were replaced with cheers.

• Paid Members
Why do the people pay hundreds - if not thousands - of dollars, to see a show that is headlined by an entertainer they despise? Is there any other form of entertainment where this happens?

The WWE fans are not paying to see Cena. It's an ensemble piece.

assuming becuase its not on the list that miz's pre match video is still there with the nas song

hope so because that was tremendous

you will be happy to know that both the miz and cena pre match videos are left unedited on the dvd/blu ray

Come on. It's not like it's something new they do. It's not something they've only done since they've been evil PG, or evil HD, or evil not wrestling. The Mania 18 DVD, one year after the perfect world you're remembering was edited so the boos for The Rock were replaced with cheers.

Is that right? I honestly wouldn't know because back then I either just kept my own recording of the PPV or bought the VHS.

Out of interest, what did they do for Lesnar/Goldberg at WM20 or Cena/HHH at WM22 (when the Cena boos were far worse than this year)? Also, if they edit out the boos, do they also edit out bits of the commentary that reference the boos.

I guess we could just accept wrestling is a 'fake' product, I hate using that word due to people screaming 'it's fake you know!' whenever we mention wrestling, but it's not real, maybe it's getting so unrealistic that even the reaction is not real anymore, and maybe it never was anyway, just now we're more aware of it.

Archived