Whats your opinion on British Wrestling?

IANdrewDiceClay

Fun fact: PTW 'fired' (cos its a big company with contracts..) the vast majority of guys who could work from 2010 (most of whom were using the shows as extended training matches..) for telling Petey that he shouldn't book people who had trained for three weeks.

Three weeks of training as in three weeks of full days, or three weeks of training as in turned up to a weekly training session three times?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fun fact: PTW 'fired' (cos its a big company with contracts..) the vast majority of guys who could work from 2010 (most of whom were using the shows as extended training matches..) for telling Petey that he shouldn't book people who had trained for three weeks.

Three weeks of training as in three weeks of full days, or three weeks of training as in turned up to a weekly training session three times?

The latter.

As previously mentioned about shit arse promotors and training schools; I just stumbled across an article/interview about the UKW Training School with Jonathan Sedgwick, Brett Bell and trainee Finlay Mallinson.

"It's all choreographed, and the promotors decide who will win each match before it starts."

The quote comes from a guy named Brett Bell, who claims he's a trainer. Personally I've never heard of him.

Opinions on this?

I hate people that say shit like that anyone with half a brain knows that it aint real. Doesnt stop people from liking it and I dont know why people like this feel the need to try and be smart fucking stupid

How dumb is this? I mean what a Ball-end! It's hard enough to get any kind of article written anywhere about Britwres and this idiot goes and says something like that. Who is going to read this and think "wow I want to go and pay money to see that now!"

I bet at the time he though like he was being really clever and dropping some kind of big revelation on to the world. If thats the quote he gave then someone must have asked him the question outright but whilst he didn't say anything that's not true you gotta have half a brain to go out and shout about it.

As previously mentioned about shit arse promotors and training schools; I just stumbled across an article/interview about the UKW Training School with Jonathan Sedgwick, Brett Bell and trainee Finlay Mallinson.

"It's all choreographed, and the promotors decide who will win each match before it starts."

The quote comes from a guy named Brett Bell, who claims he's a trainer. Personally I've never heard of him.

Opinions on this?

I hate people that say shit like that anyone with half a brain knows that it aint real. Doesnt stop people from liking it and I dont know why people like this feel the need to try and be smart fucking stupid

How dumb is this? I mean what a Ball-end! It's hard enough to get any kind of article written anywhere about Britwres and this idiot goes and says something like that. Who is going to read this and think "wow I want to go and pay money to see that now!"

I bet at the time he though like he was being really clever and dropping some kind of big revelation on to the world. If thats the quote he gave then someone must have asked him the question outright but whilst he didn't say anything that's not true you gotta have half a brain to go out and shout about it.

Whats worse is there is an arguable larger and better company running 3 venues in the very area the paper goes out into that could be adversly affected by this being printed.

It's a safe-ish answer to the "It's all fake, isn't it?" question. It's also 30 years too late to be any sort of revelation.

A safer answer would be to deflect and talk about the how wrestling shows are great family entertainment and talk about the training workers go through to be able to go out there and perform and to mention the injuries that people pick up.

The fact the paper asked that obvious and loaded question meant they werent there 100% to support wrestling in the first place and anybody with half a brain would have known in that situation that they needed to give an intelligent answer to the question.

It's annoying they ask that question in the first place I mean when they are interviewing soap actors they don't ask "Eastenders is fake isnt it?"

Is there a link to the whole article online anywhere?

It's a safe-ish answer to the "It's all fake, isn't it?" question. It's also 30 years too late to be any sort of revelation.

A safer answer would be to deflect and talk about the how wrestling shows are great family entertainment and talk about the training workers go through to be able to go out there and perform and to mention the injuries that people pick up.

The fact the paper asked that obvious and loaded question meant they werent there 100% to support wrestling in the first place and anybody with half a brain would have known in that situation that they needed to give an intelligent answer to the question.

It's annoying they ask that question in the first place I mean when they are interviewing soap actors they don't ask "Eastenders is fake isnt it?"

Unfortunately I cant find one. This all came from a picture fo the article that was uploaded to UKW owners facebook. It has annoyed a fair few people.

Unfortunately I cant find one. This all came from a picture fo the article that was uploaded to UKW owners facebook. It has annoyed a fair few people.

I can see why it would annoy people.

I'm pretty sure if he was working for any other promotion he's be out of a "job". I've seen that guy on their "TV show" in a tag match a while back. I'm a bit shocked they chose him to the the poster boy for the company- If it wasn't for the wrestling pads he'd look like the company plumber had wondered into the ring by accident.

I can see why it would annoy people.

I'm pretty sure if he was working for any other promotion he's be out of a "job". I've seen that guy on their "TV show" in a tag match a while back. I'm a bit shocked they chose him to the the poster boy for the company- If it wasn't for the wrestling pads he'd look like the company plumber had wondered into the ring by accident.

He is one of the UKW trainers ;)

A bit OT but does DPW do live music at their shows? I'm sure we could bring 60-70 people to a live gig???

Back on topic you gonna book that guy to in a Singapore cane match- I'm sure a public flogging would be a sell out

IM sure as hell gonna get flak about wha till say next, probably from the usual tag team, but heres a thought ive recently had.

I think the influx of shitarses we are experiencing at shows all around the country can stem from what is being taught in the schools these days. The " tough" wrestler is hard to come by with new talent.

When i was training, just 10 years ago, the school I attended ( Skullcrushers Combat Performance Academy run by Stuart Allen and Jamie Clubb), was hard. We would squart until we couldnt walk, we would do sit ups until we lost control of our bladders, we would spend hours learning shoot drills, holds, etc. Those that couldnt handle it didnt return. Those that could, went on to learn how to be a professional wrestler.

From my conversations with veterans, old school guys etc, this si how schools used to be run. They would test your heart before they tested your ability. This just doesnt happen in a lot of schools these days. The warm ups are half arsed, no shoot is taught, and as a result, the wrestlers turn out to be pansies.

Ian Hitman Hart and King Pictos, I await your flaming...

• Moderators
IM sure as hell gonna get flak about wha till say next, probably from the usual tag team, but heres a thought ive recently had.

I think the influx of shitarses we are experiencing at shows all around the country can stem from what is being taught in the schools these days. The " tough" wrestler is hard to come by with new talent.

When i was training, just 10 years ago, the school I attended ( Skullcrushers Combat Performance Academy run by Stuart Allen and Jamie Clubb), was hard. We would squart until we couldnt walk, we would do sit ups until we lost control of our bladders, we would spend hours learning shoot drills, holds, etc. Those that couldnt handle it didnt return. Those that could, went on to learn how to be a professional wrestler.

From my conversations with veterans, old school guys etc, this si how schools used to be run. They would test your heart before they tested your ability. This just doesnt happen in a lot of schools these days. The warm ups are half arsed, no shoot is taught, and as a result, the wrestlers turn out to be pansies.

Sounds more like hazing. Jamie Clubb and Stuart Allen - 10 years ago - were hardly Harley Race. Yeah, you 'squarted' until you couldn't walk, but what then? Did you learn how to work? How much experience did they have between them?

Sounds more like hazing. Jamie Clubb and Stuart Allen - 10 years ago - were hardly Harley Race. Yeah, you 'squarted' until you couldn't walk, but what then? Did you learn how to work? How much experience did they have between them?

Stu Allen - 17 years in the business, trained by Adrian Street. Has wrestled all over the world.

Jamie Clubb - Has trained in martial arts since he was a child, writer for Combat Magazine, well respected in the martial arts community. Jamie taught a lot of the fitness side of things and a lot of grappling.

Whether i learnt to work or not ill let you decide. Most of my stuff is on E.W.W DVD's, available through our facebook page.

Archived