The Big Boss Man Appreciation thread

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

My first Hasbro was The Anvil, pissing me off a treat that he came in some weird clobber (I had not seen any New Foundation at the time) shortly followed by The Model. These both followed trips to the dentist, and I bought them from John Menzies, where I had also started buying the tapes with Survivors 89 and Rumble 93.

Shortly after followed a birthday where my old man bought me the ring (which came with HULKSTER HUG Hogan) and my mate bought me Papa Shango. I was chuffed to bits with these figures, for some reason I was dead keen to have all the ones my mates didnt have, presumably so we could trade, but there is only so far you can go with a neverending Hogan/Anvil v Model/Shango feud.

Not long after I spent my Christmas money and a good few months pocket money on five figures, pretty sure they were Macho Man (with hat), slim Bossman, Virgil, Undertaker, Sid. And six tapes - SummerSlam 88 and 93, WrestleManias Greatest Hits, WrestleFest 93, Invasion of the Bodyslammers and one more that escapes me. Also from the magical John Menzies.

Everything was better when we were kids. I too had that Austin/Bossman twin pack, and the shape of Austin's head confused me greatly.

• Paid Members
My first Hasbro was The Anvil, pissing me off a treat that he came in some weird clobber (I had not seen any New Foundation at the time) shortly followed by The Model. These both followed trips to the dentist, and I bought them from John Menzies, where I had also started buying the tapes with Survivors 89 and Rumble 93.

Shortly after followed a birthday where my old man bought me the ring (which came with HULKSTER HUG Hogan) and my mate bought me Papa Shango. I was chuffed to bits with these figures, for some reason I was dead keen to have all the ones my mates didnt have, presumably so we could trade, but there is only so far you can go with a neverending Hogan/Anvil v Model/Shango feud.

Not long after I spent my Christmas money and a good few months pocket money on five figures, pretty sure they were Macho Man (with hat), slim Bossman, Virgil, Undertaker, Sid. And six tapes - SummerSlam 88 and 93, WrestleManias Greatest Hits, WrestleFest 93, Invasion of the Bodyslammers and one more that escapes me. Also from the magical John Menzies.

Everything was better when we were kids. I too had that Austin/Bossman twin pack, and the shape of Austin's head confused me greatly.

holy shit, i aint heard that name since i was 4! i genuinely forgot all about it.

i remember there was this mythical place near me that sold wrestling figures, my friend always seemed to have the best wrestling figures and his mam always got them from this place, used to be insanely jealous. Then i went there one day and it was a dusty old cheapy bike shop that had some toys upstairs, huge letdown (i expected some toys r'us of wrestling), think i picked up one of them double packs of WCW wrestlers, still it was a disappointing day.

random pointless figure story there.

Whenever I feel particularly sad or upset after a hard days work and begin to question the point in life, I always stick on that clip of Bossman turning up at Big Show's Dads funeral. From the initial "What in the hell is that?" from Show as Bossman arrives with that ludicrously and totally oversized bullhorn on the roof of his police car to Bossman running him down, attatching the coffin to the back of his police vehicle, announcing "Daddy always wanted to be a drag Queen, and I'm going to make him a drag Queen right now" and then driving off with Big Show being dragged along on the top, it never fails to bring a smile to my face.

Easily the funniest thing that the WWE have ever done, and I doubt it will ever be beaten

The fun and games starts at 2:15, but obviously the whole clip is full of gold including the infamous poem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyJ3T5dwOOo

• Paid Members
Bossman arrives with that ludicrously and totally oversized bullhorn on the roof of his police car

My mate's dad works in a publishing warehouse, and every now and again brings him copies of WWE Magazine as a joke - which he subsequently passes to me, as a joke. I think we both genuinely appreciate them more than we let on.

Anyhow, one of the sidebars in a recent issue was about the guy and the car - the reason for the massive bullhorn is that he's one of the frontmen of a Blues Brothers tribute, and they drive the car round towns they're doing shows in to promote it.

Apparently, WWE were looking for a car to film the skit, and someone who worked in the offices said they'd seen some guy who had an old-style police cruiser sitting on his driveway somewhere in the Greenwich area. They tracked him down, called him and asked if they could hire the car, to which he said something along the lines of "Well, you can, but there's a bullhorn the size of a washing machine on the roof". He proceeded to hear one of those muffled conversations you sometimes get at the other end of a phone call, heard a little whoop of excitement, and was asked "When can you get here?!" Liked that story.

Also, liked the Boss Man. LOVED the Boss Man, to be fair. One of my early favourites - I remember actual tears of joy when he came out on the Brother Love show to support Hogan after Quake & Bravo took out Tugboat.

Same two first figures as AshC, too.

• Paid Members

Only just realised that the Boss Man his his old early 90s babyface logo on the back of that leather jacket. Maybe he was trying to get the message across to bring back the old Boss Man. Either that or it was the only jacket that was clean that day.

Anyone think the Boss Man's face turn was a little odd looking back? He took exception to Slick being paid for using the Boss Man on the side (which would be like Boss Man working on the fiddle, in some ways). The story was that he didnt want to be paid for his services because he's a fair cop. But he didnt mind Slick selling his Royal Rumble number, he didnt mind Slick using Zeus to beat up Hogan before a cage match and he didnt mind handcuffing innocent wrestlers to ring ropes and beating them black and blue for no reason. I'd have thought a few quid on the side would have be fair game.

Still, what a fucking angle this was. A fantastic babyface turn. You wouldnt have seen it coming at all. Great stuff. Its also fun to count the amount of times Boss Man accidentally spits in DiBiase's face when talking to him. I counted 4.

Which lead to these segments where DiBiase tries to out the Boss Man as being a prick copper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo-OJS1rRu0...EC&index=46

Archived