Night Of Champions Dropped

TAFKA Family Guy PMSL

From PWinsider.com

'On the WWE PPV calendar, the WWE Night of Champions PPV concept has been officially dropped from the schedule. The date is still scheduled for a PPV on September 18th at the HSBC Arena in Buffalo, NY, but is now listed at "TBA" for the name of the show.'

So no more NoC, will you miss the concept?

I hope it's replaced with something new, rather than them just going with a PPV that got it's name out of EWR. Dare I say could this finally be the time for WWE to dust off the WarGames, and make their money of a WCW idea?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

We have Hell in a Cell and Elimination Chamber. We don't need another cage-based PPV. Lethal Lockdown is as close to War Games as we have at the minute, and that's fine.

No-one think WWE won't risk having TNA bragging that they 'stole their concept' if they rip Lockdown off and bring back the 'Games?

If it wasn't happening tonight, it wouldn't have surprised me if they had a WWE Draft PPV.

• Paid Members
No-one think WWE won't risk having TNA bragging that they 'stole their concept' if they rip Lockdown off and bring back the 'Games?

No, I doubt WWE really give a toss but even if they did they have the video library of war games going back to the first glorious run in the summer of 87, they could slap together a promo package in about 10 minutes which makes it seem like a huge, classic event that blows TNA out the water.

WWE issued a survey last week, so the PPV will just be changed to one of the names below - not a mass PPV change like some are hoping:

-- WWE issued a survey to fans querying their thoughts on the following pay-per-view titles:

* WWE Champions

* WWE Revolution

* WWE Uprising

* WWE Vengeance

The problem with the War Games concept is that it suited 87-92 era NWA/WCW down to the ground, but today's WWE, not so much. It would come across as a little too chaotic and random for the current production team's tastes, I fear.

I kind of agree, there isn't much of a "set formula" to it once it gets down to 5 vs. 5. Still, it's a great concept that can produce excellent matches, and Triple H is a huge fan. With him having seemingly more influence these days, I could see an attempt at a Wargames match.

• Paid Members

'WWE Champions'

Seriously? Awful.

Anyway I think the answer is easy. King of the Ring. I think it's crazy they got rid of it in the first place. It stood out, a decent gimmick PPV that you could get away with having only 3 matches for KOTR and filling the rest with other matches.

If theyre gonna go with another concept PPV (which seems to be their preference these days) id go with bringing back King of the Ring.. theyve held the tournament 3 times since the end of the PPV version, so its a concept they have some faith in at least.. A return to the full 8 man, 3 matches in 1 night to win concept would be great.. I still feel the PPV only started failing when they stopped making the tournament the focus of the show.. a 4 man, 3 match tournament just wasnt the same.. If they did go with bringing back King of the Ring, a 16 man tournament might not be a bad idea.. It would mean more talent could be included, winning would beeven more of an acomplishment and the tournament could really be used to elevate someone..

Battlebowl could be fun if it was booked right.. Much like King of the Ring it would mean more if the brand split was enforced, with the only interpromotional stuff coming at PPVs such as this..

War Games is something fans have wanted for years, but i think the main problem with it still exists.. 2 rings takes up a lot more room and would only be used for the main event.. I read somewhere years ago that that was one of Vinces issues with it at least.. Id also worry they modify the cage.. They did just that with the Hell in a Cell and it no longer has that that claustrophobic vicious feel it once had..

As WWE seem to be on a mission to cull PPVs at the moment, lets hope Bragging Rights is next, the dual brand team match could easily be the Survivor Series main event each year instead with teams of each brands top stars.. Id keep the Elimination Chamber PPV as finding a decent angle to explain 6 guys having issue with each other enough to warrant it being used isnt so easy, at least an annual Chamber PPV allows them to use it.. Id cut it down to one chamber on the show though and move it to later in the year.. Theres really no reason to use it in February when theres already a lot of interest.. The HIAC PPV needs scrapping though, the match was devised to be the big feud ending match (like cages used to be) and it means less and less when its just used for the sake of using it.. Money in the Bank needs changing to one MITB match only on the show, theres no need for 2..

How about something that mixes battlebowl and King of the ring?

Four elimantion matches at the start, anything between 3 and 10 people.

The winners of the first two matches tag to wrestle the winners of the 2nd two matches. The winning team then face off to win a golden contract, which gives them the right to make any match with any stipulation over the next year.

Perhaps I spend too much time thinking about these things.

Archived