The original WWF screwjob

twelve_grand

Not sure how many people saw it on the first showing but in amongst a fairly regular WWE Vintage show this week was hidden this curiosity. Details here. I remember reading in the Wrestling Observer a couple of years ago that the tape archive people in WWE had found this and were trying to work out whether it was a screwjob finish followed by a weird post match semi shoot with Moolah not co-operating with Richter's pro-wrestling offence. Anyhow a weird little incident you might want to check out on a replay or online.

• Paid Members

I was half-watching this earlier today on Sky Sports. I caught in the corner of my eye Richter trying to grab her title belt from the ref in the end and wondered whether it was the infamous screw-job, but thought it couldn't be- otherwise surely they wouldn't have shown it. I hit rewind, low and behold it was the screw-job. Poor old Gino didn't know what to say when he called the action.

I read it on here a year ago, but can someone refresh my memory why they screwed her in the first place?

• Paid Members
I read it on here a year ago, but can someone refresh my memory why they screwed her in the first place?

Wendy was starting work for Eric Bischoff's meat firm in Minneapolis the next night and Vince thought she was going to put the belt through a bacon slicer on TV.

That would've been TV gold. Fuck Madusa.

Wendy was starting work for Eric Bischoff's meat firm in Minneapolis the next night and Vince thought she was going to put the belt through a bacon slicer on TV.

Yeah, anyway.....the REAL reason, at least according to legend, is that Richter asked Vince for her pay to be more in line with that of her main event level male counterparts. After all, she was a big part of the 'Rock N Wrestling Connection' with Cyndi Lauper and drew huge ratings on MTV's 'The Brawl to End it All' vs Fabulous Moolah [the channels largest ratings up til that point]/

According to Vince, Richter refused to sign a new contract. Richter claims it was money issues. I think Spider Lady was usually Peggy Lee Leather and that is who Richter believed she was facing that night.

After the screw job a furious Richter, in full wrestling gear, stormed out of the arena. She never spoke to Moolah again and only recently made up with Vince.

What I don't get is there are so many different ways to deal with these kinda situations witout doing it in public. They gotta know the truth will eventually come out and they will look a bit dumb.

I mean why not just tell her not to turn up. Give a reason for her "no show" and strip her of the belt. Then replace her spot on the card with the top 2 contenders for the now vacant title.

Same result but without the bad press

• Paid Members
What I don't get is there are so many different ways to deal with these kinda situations witout doing it in public. They gotta know the truth will eventually come out and they will look a bit dumb.

I mean why not just tell her not to turn up. Give a reason for her "no show" and strip her of the belt. Then replace her spot on the card with the top 2 contenders for the now vacant title.

gotta show her who's King Bitch though, its wrasslin lad.

Yeah, but would that still be being talked about 20 odd years later? Just makes you think if thats what goes through old Vinny Macs head when he pulls stunts like this.

Archived