My Best Film?

M-Dudz

Today's subject, clearly one of the modern day greats - Tom Hanks.

Serious, comedy, rom-com, drama, no matter what role i've enjoyed Tom in them all, but his calling is undoubtedly in drama. Perhaps roles in Big, Cast Way and Forrest Gump spring to mind but here's a look at some of the other classics Tom has been in:

Apollo 13, Big, Cast Away, Saving Private Ryan, The Green Mile, Forrest Gump, Sleepless In Seattle, Philadelphia,

The Da Vinci Code, Angels & Demons, Charlie Wilson's War, Catch Me If You Can, Road To Perdition,

You've Got Mail, Turner & Hooch, The 'Burbs, A League Of Their Own, The Terminal, The Ladykillers and much more!

Which, do you think has been Tom's calling card as an actor? I did consider asking for an explaination to why, but that might be lethal, so if you're brave - do it, if not - don't worry!

As a random one, I really enjoyed him in The Terminal. I started watching it and thought it was a joke. He appeared goofy and stupid, but it wasn't long before he won me over and i genuinely cared about the character. Forrest Gump always sucks me in, but Philadelphia is my pick. Groundbreaking, award winning and heart warming performance that has defined his career.

Over to you...

This is the last one for this week, next week - 5 more. including: Al Pacino, Johnny Depp, Robin Williams and I suppose I better do an actress at some point too... :blush:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Difficult one. Overall Hanks has a pretty decent body of work. I'd throw out recommendations for The Terminal and Charlie Wilson's War as both are very good yet are often over-looked. I think for me it'd have to be The Green Mile though. Yes I did cry.

• Paid Members
As a random one, I really enjoyed him in The Terminal. I started watching it and thought it was a joke. He appeared goofy and stupid, but it wasn't long before he won me over and i genuinely cared about the character.

Yeh I also really enjoyed the Terminal, and Big always has a nostalgic place in my heart.....but I think I'll vote for Gump.

• Moderators

DRAGNET.

Definitely his finest hour.

Good choice for a topic though. I like his dramatic work, but his comedies are tops.. The Burbs was on telly the other day.. I've still never seen the beginning of that film because I always catch it on tv after it's started, but it's great.

Fook a tough one

erm er

I like Dragnet, its a massively underated film but Im going to have to go with:-

1. A League of Their Own.. Great as the Baseball Coach with an Alcohol problem and has the

2. Road to Perdition- Tom Hanks as Ruthless hitman, Fuck Yeah!

3. Saving Private Ryan- Schoolteacher. Superb

• Paid Members

His performance in Dragnet is a comedy masterpiece. If he didn't turn to dramas he would have had a great Bill Murray-esque career.

I'll go with Saving Private Ryan. His speech where he reveals he was a schoolteacher is pretty incredible. I'm a big fan of Tom Hanks, a class act all the way.

• Paid Members

Oh wait, would the Toy Story films count? If so then I'd have to go with one of those, probably the first one. It's amazing how much of a great character Woody is and how sympathetic he is despite often acting selfish. And he's achieving all this purely through voice acting too!

• Paid Members

This is a tough one for me, because all of his early comedies I've rewatched in the last few years (Big, The Money Pit, etc..) haven't aged well. His Sleepless In Seattle romcom phase is full of turgid generic shit, and I find a lot of his "proper dramas" unbearable as he still feels the need to work the "Tom Hanks Face" into them.

I lovd the Terminal when I saw it but for me one of my fav films has to be Catch Me If You Can, funnily enough I never really rated either Hanks or DiCaprio before that film and afterwards I thought they were tremendous.

One of the least interesting film stars of the last 20 years, for me. He's always good, but I'm never really blown away by him. Added to that, he was in the monstrosity, of a film Forrest Gump - one of the most unbelievably morally superior right-wing films I've ever seen.

So, my favourite film that he's in would be Saving Private Ryan where skillful camerawork by Spielberg creates the illusion of dynamism in his acting. Other than that, he was at his best goofing it up in Big.

I hope the OP does some better actors next week, because apart from Jack none of these guys would make my top 20.

Archived