My Best Film?

M-Dudz

One of the least interesting film stars of the last 20 years, for me. He's always good, but I'm never really blown away by him. Added to that, he was in the monstrosity, of a film Forrest Gump - one of the most unbelievably morally superior right-wing films I've ever seen.

So, my favourite film that he's in would be Saving Private Ryan where skillful camerawork by Spielberg creates the illusion of dynamism in his acting. Other than that, he was at his best goofing it up in Big.

I hope the OP does some better actors next week, because apart from Jack none of these guys would make my top 20.

Ooooh, Mr Loki - you are a hard man to please! Will strive for better next week, this week is merely a warm up week! Also, some interesting points on Tom there. I love Forrest Gump, be it morally superior and right-wing or not, I still love it.

I thought i'd be alone in the Terminal vote, but good to see others in agreement.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One commentator on IMDB sums up my feelings on Forrest Gump very well:

Some of its critics say that "Forrest Gump" is little more than a right wing fable whose message is "Vote Republican." Yes, Forrest is the embodiment of "traditional values," a simpleton who worships God, honors his mother, does what he's told, and never asks questions. Good old Forrest succeeds in life by embracing the values of mainstream society while Jenny, the girl he loves with a blind passion, pursues the fancy-free lifestyles in vogue at each time period portrayed: In the 1960s, she joins the counterculture, strumming a guitar, smoking dope, dropping acid, and protesting the war in Vietnam in which Forrest courageously fights. In the 70s, while Forrest is a successful businessman, Jenny is a fast living, sexually promiscuous member of the disco set.

Forrest represents America, or, rather, the America that right wing propagandists want everyone to believe is the true America. Do what you're told, never talk back, and you'll be successful and happy. Jenny, on the other hand, epitomizes rebellion and the rejection of the unthinking way of life that the government would prefer we pursue. Forrest is good. Jenny is bad. Forrest further strengthens his image of goodness by always, always, ALWAYS taking Jenny back whenever her latest flirtations fail to fulfill her. Like Jesus, Forrest loves Jenny unconditionally, never questioning her lack of faithfulness. Yes, this film says, America forgives all of you long-haired, dope smoking, draft-dodging sex perverts, or we will if you agree to shape up, and fast. For Jenny, however, it was too late. Once she settled down into a respectable middle-class life, her past caught up with her.

Tom Hanks has a way of making me cry. Forrest Gump, The Green Mile and Cast Away always draw a tear. It's incredibly hard to pick a single film as his best, instead I'll go with the film that I enjoyed overall (taking into account the story and other performances), which is The Green Mile. "Roll on two..." :(

• Paid Members
One commentator on IMDB sums up my feelings on Forrest Gump very well:

<SNIP>

You ever read something, then immediately wish you hadn't? I just read that, nodding along like a 'tard agreeing with every sentence, and now I feel dirty. I used to like Forrest Gump, but suddenly the magic is gone.

Reading that has had the same emotional effect on me as if aged 5, Santa had stood in the living room in front of me, slowly pulled his beard off to reveal my old man, and cackled maniacally "It was me, Air Raid! It was me ALL ALONG!!"

• Paid Members

Me and Loki get to kick everyone in the bollocks who said Forrest Gump. He might headbutt you instead, he's that short. What kind of people are you? It's a horrible, horrible film.

The answer is clearly The Burbs or The Money Pit. The Burbs is an utterly brilliant comedy. It's got fucking Bruce Dern it, as well, what more do you need. If you must pick something recent, pick Catch Me If You Can.

Whoever mentioned Dragnet though gets a few thousand points. Love that film. I hate you, Streebeck.

Not really a fan but The Green mile is the best film i've seen him in even if it does always make me cry. Forrest Gump and Castaway are good but they're not as good.

Me and Loki get to kick everyone in the bollocks who said Forrest Gump

You'll have a bit of a job considering i don't have any.

Archived