My Best Film?

M-Dudz

Well, this might set the cat among the pigeons...!

Personally, my favourite actor. He may not be as versitile as the previous two subjects, but his trademark dark portrayals have earnt him a huge 12 seperate nominations for Academy Awards, winning 2 of them for As Good As It Gets and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

I'm ashamed to say, even as my favourite actor - i've not seen all his films. He's done a huge amount, but which do you think is his best? Just some of them include:

As Good As It Gets, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, The Shining, Batman, The Departed, A Few Good Men, Easy Rider,

The Witches Of Eastwick, The Last Detail, Ironweed, Anger Management, Something's Gotta Give, Reds,

The Postman Always Rings Twice, Terms Of Endearment, Hoffa, Carnal Knowledge, The Bucket List, About Schmidt to name just a few.

My choice is a pained one, as The Departed, As Good As It Gets, Batman, A Few Good Men, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest are all masterful performances but there's something unbeatable about his portrayal of Jack Torrance in The Shining and that wins for me.

What about you?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You missed Five Easy Pieces too which is one of my favorites of his! Still love him in Easy Rider, he isn't in it for a whole amount of time, but as the emotional centre he does wonders.

...but my favorite and maybe a typical one is One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

• Paid Members
No love for Anger Management? :(

Too slow!

Anyway, yes, Jack. Obviously an utterly great actor with a fantastic range and intensity that few can match. I absolutely hate As Good As It Gets but he was clearly great in it, Chinatown is an amazing performance from beginning to end (and an incredible film), and he was of course the best on-screen Joker in Batman.

But the three that stand out for me:-

1) About Schmidt - a wonderful little film and one of those performances that I never thought I'd see from him where he finally embraces his age. The ending nearly broke me though, I have to say.

2) One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - never has a role been more perfect for him. His scenes with Louise Fletcher are how, ladies and gentlemen, you create movie magic.

3) The Shining - obviously. Watch the US version that Stan didn't want us to see though. His performance gets an extra layer, if you can imagine that.

I fucking love Jack.

I cant say Im Jack's biggest fan. He seems to play himself in every role or just an extension of his persona in real life. Yeah there are some great films he is in, that I wont deny But he just doesn't do anything for us as an actor. Ive not seen Cuckoo's nest, Chinatown and The Shining for aeons though so the possiblity for re apprasial is there but generally not my cup of tea

I love him in The Shining. Especially when he's mocking Wendy.

"As soon as possible?"

:laugh:

What a cunt of a maniac this guy became. I'm also a big fan of Chinatown, although that's more to do with just how awesome that movie is than Jack Nicholson, who was obviously brilliant in it.

• Paid Members
I cant say Im Jack's biggest fan. He seems to play himself in every role or just an extension of his persona in real life. Yeah there are some great films he is in, that I wont deny But he just doesn't do anything for us as an actor. Ive not seen Cuckoo's nest, Chinatown and The Shining for aeons though so the possiblity for re apprasial is there but generally not my cup of tea

does that mean one of us gets a chance to post that he snuffed it before you then?

• Paid Members

im quite ashamed to say i haven't seen that many Nicholson films :( ive probably seen around 10 in all and based on the fact that i consider myself a bit of a movie fan, that's a little shameful :(

must see more

as for favorite...withouth doubt One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

Archived