My Best Film?

M-Dudz

I don't care if you don't like him man.. It makes no difference to me. I'm not a big film buff or anything and haven't seen half his films.

What annoyed me was you putting words in to people's mouths and being so dismissive.

Yeah. That's my job.

What I will say for pat though is that he has successfully deflected attention away from his original point. Or so he thought.

It really is, as someone said, such a really lazy summing up of Nicholson's body of work. I mean, look at the variety of different films he's starred in - he's doing action, comedy, horror, film noir, thrillers, black comedy - to say that he's always playing an on-screen version of himself is absolutely absurd and is one of those facile opinions that people chuck out that requires no thought at all.

This isn't an issue of whether people are taking a board too seriously, Biff, it's an issue of you actually properly backing up your point. Do you know what Iam saying?

Hear you loud and clear, dude. This isnt the playground or a university seminar last time I checked though so as for properly backing up my point, through whose eyes?

Basically, why should I have to go to the nth degree to justify a view point held. I'm not in a debating society, neither am I interested in going through the ringer trying to prove a point when people will just be as happy to bash to make them feel self important because they are more 'right' Wouldnt happpen in a pub or necessarily with mates so why is it suddenly so important here

If I was interested in the whole discussion then, yeah I might expand a little but seeing as it appears it's all about justifying my opinion to a room full of strangers and sustaining some kind of pseudo intellectual hierarchy, then I'll give miss thanks.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I chuckled at the OP saying this:

He may not be as versitile as the previous two subjects,

What, less versatile than Jim Carrey? :p Give over.

Yeah, i better back that up hadn't i.

Carrey's goof act in D&D / Mask / AVPD etc. compared to The Number 23 / ESOTSM are two stark contrasts. Nicholsons dark undertones follow him around, weather it be black comedy or horror. All done fantastically, but the depth in contrast in Carrey's work is far more, is it not? To go on record, i'm not saying Carrey is a better actor than Nicholson in any shape or form!

Interesting to see people either fully on The Shining bandwagon, or not at all.

• Paid Members
I chuckled at the OP saying this:

He may not be as versitile as the previous two subjects,

What, less versatile than Jim Carrey? :p Give over.

Yeah, i better back that up hadn't i.

Carrey's goof act in D&D / Mask / AVPD etc. compared to The Number 23 / ESOTSM are two stark contrasts. Nicholsons dark undertones follow him around, weather it be black comedy or horror. All done fantastically, but the depth in contrast in Carrey's work is far more, is it not? To go on record, i'm not saying Carrey is a better actor than Nicholson in any shape or form!

Interesting to see people either fully on The Shining bandwagon, or not at all.

Wouldn't say that's nessesarily true, his comedy is more bombastic overacting, compared to his roles in The Nymber 23 etc, the diversity is noticeable but with Nicholson I think he has more challenging performances. As great as Carrey is in his comedies it doesn't really seem like it's a massive challenge to him IMO.

• Paid Members
Hear you loud and clear, dude. This isnt the playground or a university seminar last time I checked though so as for properly backing up my point, through whose eyes?

Basically, why should I have to go to the nth degree to justify a view point held. I'm not in a debating society, neither am I interested in going through the ringer trying to prove a point when people will just be as happy to bash to make them feel self important because they are more 'right' Wouldnt happpen in a pub or necessarily with mates so why is it suddenly so important here

If I was interested in the whole discussion then, yeah I might expand a little but seeing as it appears it's all about justifying my opinion to a room full of strangers and sustaining some kind of pseudo intellectual hierarchy, then I'll give miss thanks.

This is a fucking discussion forum. If you're not here to have a discussion then what the hell ARE you here for?

You don't seem to mind justifying your opinions most of the rest of the time, so what is the problem with doing so here? I think the problem is that you know your original point was way off the mark and now you're trying desperately to scramble away with some half-arsed nonsense about not feeling you have to discuss your point on a discussion board.

• Paid Members
I'm kinda interested in seeing Number 23 now.. a couple people having mentioned it in a positive light in that thread and I have only ever heard that it is laughably awful previously.

It IS laughably awful but that's what makes it a little enjoyable.

in that case then don't post a vapidly empty opinion in the first place.

Hmm

Cuckoo's Nest was ole shark grins best, if most for the scene with the world series/water fountain.

Hoffa was a load of bollocks though, just for that shitarse of an ending. "MISDUH HOFFA"

Hardly enlightening is it? :thumbsup:

This is a fucking discussion forum. If you're not here to have a discussion then what the hell ARE you here for?

You don't seem to mind justifying your opinions most of the rest of the time, so what is the problem with doing so here? I think the problem is that you know your original point was way off the mark and now you're trying desperately to scramble away with some half-arsed nonsense about not feeling you have to discuss your point on a discussion board.

There was an overriding discussion, regarding his films I commented that he isn't my cup of tea and a reason why and left it. The discussion continues my view is made known, as per a discussion thread works People read and either agree of disagree with it and move on. The discussion is about the Films of Jack Nicholson You two seem to be scrambling for some alterior motive or additional meaning so it can be justified as its not the held view or as is bandied about as 'lazy' instead of discussing his work

The pair of you are getting pissy on an internet forum because someone wont play your game. Why so worked up I dont know. I dont particularly like Jack Nicholson, I dont particulular dislike Jack Nicholson and have said so and have nominated a film performance. Yet this produces some kind of 'HE must justefieth his opinion or be damned by a group of his peers' nonsense.

So back to Nicholson's films and away from this tedium.

• Paid Members
I thought that might be the kind of film it would be... I expect the people who enjoyed it at as serious film also like The Butterfly Effect.

Really good comparison to make, only it's a bit more tolerable than Butterfly Effect.

Archived