My Best Film?

M-Dudz

I cant say Im Jack's biggest fan. He seems to play himself in every role or just an extension of his persona in real life.

Nonsense.

Nonsense for what, having a view that doesn't mean worshipping the ground he walks on as an actor? I didnt say he was shit, he just isnt my cup of tea, because of the reasons stated.

Ive watched most of his films including dross like 'Wolf' and roles in the likes of 'Tommy' ( which had a number of surprise roles in it to me anyway)

Pushed, I'd go for the dual roles he played in Mars Attacks, as being my favourite Jack Nicholson role. Clearly goofing off and enjoying himself.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
For me, an easy one. The Shining. Best horror film ever for me.

See i might be in the minority here, but the actual film is proper shit, although jack nicholson in the afilm is pure gold. I was getting bored watching it, its not a scary film at all........but jack nicholson makes it worth watching every scence he is in.

• Paid Members
I cant say Im Jack's biggest fan. He seems to play himself in every role or just an extension of his persona in real life.

Nonsense.

Nonsense for what, having a view that doesn't mean worshipping the ground he walks on as an actor? I didnt say he was shit, he just isnt my cup of tea, because of the reasons stated.

No, it's nonsense because it's such a lazy, cliched opinion of Jack.

• Paid Members

Tricky one, I've never seen Chinatown which most people would rate as his best. I like the Shining but have always felt it is slightly overrated, Batman is great obviously, as is One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest but I think I'll go with The Bucket List. I thought he was tremendous and inspiring right through.

• Paid Members

It's between One Flew Over The Cukoo's Nest and The Departed for me. In regards to the latter, I really think Martin Scorsese has actually improved with his later films. The Aviator, The Departed and Shutter Island have all been fantastic. His partnership with Di Caprio seems to be doing wonders for the both of them.

Oh yeah this is a thread about Jack. I'd go for One Flew... overall because he it's far more "his film". Have yet to see Chinatown which everyone tells me is great. Although I enjoyed The Shining, and I am going to get some stick here from Gladstone and Seven here, I didn't enjoy it as much as everyone else seems to. It could just be a case of having it incredibly hyped up over the years but I didn't get into it quite as much as most. Jack himself is great in it though.

No, it's nonsense because it's such a lazy, cliched opinion of Jack.

It's a discussion forum, dude, and that's my view on the situation. So what if its hackneyed lame or whatever you want to call it? Im not going to sing praises of some one I dont care for that much because it would make me a bit of a hypocrite

Should I now go through and watch a Method Master Class so I can really appreciate his acting be cause you and others want me to or something? And see the other side? Cant say Im interested enough. I stopped doing film studies a decade ago so dont wanna go back into reading a film mise en scene and the method among others

As said for the umpteenth tim he isnt my cup of tea. Sorry for not agreeing with peoples assumption that he is the 'greatest thing since sliced bread' and that he should "just let the wardrobe do the acting" :thumbsup::rolleyes:

• Moderators

Stop being a dick. The point being argued is not whether he is the greatest thing since sliced bread or not, it's whether he is just playing himself in every role.

What do you even know about Jack Nicholson as a person to make that assessment?

He's played such a wide variety of roles, it's an amazing strength in his acting skills that he can bring a part of himself to anything such that it feels so natural it's got you convinced that he's not even acting.

I think the real situation is actually the exact opposite of what you're saying. I seriously don't understand how anyone can have that opinion of him if they just stop and consider how varied the roles he has played are.

Stop being a dick. The point being argued is not whether he is the greatest thing since sliced bread or not, it's whether he is just playing himself in every role.

What do you even know about Jack Nicholson as a person to make that assessment?

He's played such a wide variety of roles, it's an amazing strength in his acting skills that he can bring a part of himself to anything such that it feels so natural it's got you convinced that he's not even acting.

I think the real situation is actually the exact opposite of what you're saying. I seriously don't understand how anyone can have that opinion of him if they just stop and consider how varied the roles he has played are.

I spose spotting irony is also out of the question, seeing as I was quoting Jack at the end.

This board so needs to stop taking it self so seriously. Everything is fucking life or death with some people :laugh: :laugh:

As always, I think there's a difference between his best performance, and the film from his resume which is the best.

Best Film that Jack's been in - Chinatown, with The Shining squeaking in a close second. Chinatown is just the perfect film - visually stunning, amazing sound design and music, wonderful script and story, massive performances and a killer ending.

Jack's not even the best performance in the film though - John Huston's "please, please, be reasonable" line in the closing scene has to be one of the most chilling, fucked up things I've ever seen.

But in terms of his best performance? Hard to look past the scenery-chewing, bravura Col. Nathan R. Jessep in A Few Good Men. He's only on-screen for a small part of the film, but steals the whole thing.

• Paid Members
I don't care if you don't like him man.. It makes no difference to me. I'm not a big film buff or anything and haven't seen half his films.

What annoyed me was you putting words in to people's mouths and being so dismissive.

Yeah. That's my job.

What I will say for pat though is that he has successfully deflected attention away from his original point. Or so he thought.

It really is, as someone said, such a really lazy summing up of Nicholson's body of work. I mean, look at the variety of different films he's starred in - he's doing action, comedy, horror, film noir, thrillers, black comedy - to say that he's always playing an on-screen version of himself is absolutely absurd and is one of those facile opinions that people chuck out that requires no thought at all.

This isn't an issue of whether people are taking a board too seriously, Biff, it's an issue of you actually properly backing up your point. Do you know what Iam saying?

I chuckled at the OP saying this:

He may not be as versitile as the previous two subjects,

What, less versatile than Jim Carrey? :p Give over.

• Paid Members

I'm with One Flew Over The Cukoo's Nest on this one. I find too many of his performances since the Shining to be the same old crazy Jack.

• Paid Members

^ But, again, that's complete piddle, isn't it? His performances since The Shining have arguably shown as much variety as those before it.

I chuckled at the OP saying this:

He may not be as versitile as the previous two subjects,

What, less versatile than Jim Carrey? :p Give over.

Christ, I hadn't noticed that, actually.

Archived