Vampiro - how do you rate him

I must admit that when Vampro first appeared in WCW, i was in my tail end of not really watching wrestling stages and i didnt know his background etc. Basically i just thought he was a poor Sting clone for Sting to feud with. I never took the time really to check him out until i watched his shoot (thought he was very charismatic and honest) and so i took the effort to look into his early stuff and history. God he was super over in Mexico and wasnt a bad worker at all. He doesnt seem to get mentioned much at all nowaday and is only 43 now.

The shoot was in 2002 (so he was bascially 32 then) and he was saying then that his wife was his life (why did they get divorced) and that already he had injuries and neurologicla damage that was cuasing him movement problems etc. Im shocke dthen that hes still wrestling now.

also rather interesting is the fact he said he wasnt really trained ot begin with hence he bumps like he does, he apparently didnt start to learn auntil already an established name in mexico

Anyone know anything more about the guy and how'd you rate him?

I hated him personally, never saw any of his stuff from Mexico in the early 90's just his WCW run and bits and bobs in MLW and I just thought he was terrible. I couldn't name you 1 good match I've seen him in and he was always sloppy as hell, he was super over in Mexico though from what I've read.

I vaguely remember hearing something about him having a break in at his home where he jumped out of a window, 15 feet to the ground and I think he broke some ribs or something but that was back in 2009. I've seen some of his matches and they're OK but nothing particularly great about them IMHO.

• Paid Members
I vaguely remember hearing something about him having a break in at his home where he jumped out of a window, 15 feet to the ground and I think he broke some ribs or something but that was back in 2009. I've seen some of his matches and they're OK but nothing particularly great about them IMHO.

Aye. If I remember right someone broke into his house, were spotted by Police and arrested. The Police then went inside to see if everything was all right, at which point Vampiro woke up, thought THEY were burglers/kidnappers and jumped out the window. I think he broke his back, not sure though.

I thought he was okay, although I remember hating his team/feud with Sting, just for how predictable it all was. He does seem to come out with some shit though, including claiming he missed a show because the door of his plane fell off.

Apparently WCW signed him as just another Mexican to fill up the roster and saw no star potential in him at all, until they found out he wasn't actually Mexican, at which point they decided to push him to the moon.

His shoot interview is awesome, as he comes accross as really charismatic and has a great voice (no homo feelings).

What is odd in the shoot (done by Highspots) is they dont really know what to ask him. Throughout the whole thing Vampiro is like "are you getting what you want, ask me anything" and yet they dont really come accross as prepared, and the interviewer even says at one point"im just killing time" and Vampiro is like "killing time, dude ask me anything and the interviewer is says "like what" Vampiro says to them "put another tape in, you can have 2 for 1" however they still end the interview after 2 hours. He comes accross as a really cool and nice bloke though and he certainly doesnt hold back. He goes out of his way to insult Robert Feinstein and accuses him of blowing Victor Quinones (actually surprised that RF vidoe stock this dvd, as he well heels on RF) and i get the feeling we'd have gotten more, if the interviewer could be arsed.

Always loved Vampiro, especially in WCW. His look really set him apart from others and he was a bona fide god in Mexico once upon a time.

I recently watched Vampiro: Angel Devil Hero documentary which gives you an insight into him as a person. It also features a young Seamus, Dave Mastiff, Jack Storm and a few other familiar UK faces! Definately worth a watch if you're a Vamp fan or not.

He does come across as a real cunt to work with though, openly admitting to not liking promoters and causing them problems on purpose. There's a teeth gritting scene involving Daniel Elder and the IPW:UK crew that sums it up.

Part 1 of the doc is below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivUbRh8Jmr8

• Paid Members
wasnt a bad worker at all.

You should watch all of that shoot interview, because he even admits he sucks as a wrestler, and his whole act is his gimmick. I thought he was rotten. Just the pits to watch and his gimmick was pushed so hard in WCW that you couldnt get into his overexposed, over-the-top, uncharismatic act. I always thought it was hypocritical and a complete joke that Sting, Hogan and Flair were accused of not putting the young guys over and not being any good anymore, then they had to carry no hopers like Kidman, Russo and Vampiro through angles. He'd probably be still in developmental now if they signed him n 2001.

• Paid Members

He was awful. Never showed anything in WCW beyond the fact that if you had a vaguely gothic gimmick at that time certain people would go mental for it. He's good value in shoot interviews though, even if he does seem like a cunt.

Archived