Ian Rotten Interview

Flash

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

A mate of mine who was working on a show with him caught him shooting up in the toilets before his match. Ian looked at him with a syringe in his arm while sitting on the pan and asked if he is cool with this. My mate just said whatever mate and took his piss before leaving.

What is a "water bottle on a cane" spot, Rubba?. It doesn't sound that exciting.

Is it just not hitting people with a cane that has a water bottle on the end of it? It don't hurt that much but makes a nice noise.

It is exactly that. A water cooler bottle on a cane.

• Paid Members
What is a "water bottle on a cane" spot, Rubba?. It doesn't sound that exciting.

Is it just not hitting people with a cane that has a water bottle on the end of it? It don't hurt that much but makes a nice noise.

It is exactly that. A water cooler bottle on a cane.

But if there is any water in it, you know it can explode and kill everyone in a 2 mile radius right? :rolleyes:

Ian Rotten is an idiot. He somehow thought ECW was something other than a means to make money. He stated himself that he could draw much more money by promoting Bill Dundee etc instead of promoting the hardcore style, yet he somehow thought there was something ideologically better about the ECW style compared to the Memphis style. He's a fucking moron.

I agree with Ian about ROH and IWA not making Punk, he got his name recognition there but he got it through HIS hard work. Making someone indicates that you put hard work in, promote them, get them press, give them the marquee matches and take them from small name to something big. They never did this. WWE did.

Whilst it's impossible to dismiss Punks indy work, which was all pretty damn good, nothing was really done to make him a star. Whilst he main evented ROH shows, he had a few hundred DVD sales and less than a 500 live attendance for shows. The people putting him over, like Joe, were other people with no name value.

I don't agree with Ian very often, but he's right here. If Ian had made Punk, Ian wouldn't have been able to afford to pay him because he'd have been a star. Instead, Punk began to mould himself and gained and grew a following, which is totally different to being made.

• Paid Members
I agree with Ian about ROH and IWA not making Punk, he got his name recognition there but he got it through HIS hard work. Making someone indicates that you put hard work in, promote them, get them press, give them the marquee matches and take them from small name to something big. They never did this. WWE did.

Whilst it's impossible to dismiss Punks indy work, which was all pretty damn good, nothing was really done to make him a star. Whilst he main evented ROH shows, he had a few hundred DVD sales and less than a 500 live attendance for shows. The people putting him over, like Joe, were other people with no name value.

I don't agree with Ian very often, but he's right here. If Ian had made Punk, Ian wouldn't have been able to afford to pay him because he'd have been a star. Instead, Punk began to mould himself and gained and grew a following, which is totally different to being made.

Sorry, I disagree with this point. Whilst I concede that many people on here enjoy his indy work, I don't think it's "impossible" to dismiss his indy work. I do dismiss it. I've seen a huge chunk of his stuff from RoH (mainly because of all the gushing about his infamous hour-long draws), and I have to say it really isn't all that. The so-called five-star second hour-long match with Samoa Joe only highlighted to me at the time how over-rated both he and Joe were in RoH, and actually contributed to my starting to realise just how spotty and wanky the indie style is.

WWE had to send Punk to developmental for quite a while, comparatively speaking. He's more likely now to have matches which people will remember the stories of than before.

• Paid Members

I listened to about 30 minutes of this last night, and it's basically an episode of Jeremy Kyle. Is it worth listening to the other 90 minutes, or is it just more back and forth bickering over who has the most credibility in "the business"?

I listened to about 30 minutes of this last night, and it's basically an episode of Jeremy Kyle. Is it worth listening to the other 90 minutes, or is it just more back and forth bickering over who has the most credibility in "the business"?

Yeh worth listening to as later in the show you have joe bailey saying he won't let rotten run another show as long as he lives which is a real highlight

I also agree with Ian on this one. It's right out of order to give RoH and IWA:MS credit for Punk's hard-work. IWA-MS especially so. (At least Punk got the Steamers attention in ROH, not that it helped Joe of course)

WWE made CM Punk. They generally hire nobodies and make them somebodies. Mainly because there's no somebodies about!

Before that, it was CM Punk that got him to the level where WWE would pick him up. Not any rinky-dink promoter.

If Punk never worked ROH or IWA:MS, he could have still made it to WWE. Like most of WWE's wrestlers!!

The idea that ROH made Punk well-known amongst wrestling fans is a nonsense. Most wrestling fans know WWE, TNA, and the shit show that comes to town twice a year. That's it.

Archived