Ian Rotten Interview

Flash

• Paid Members
If it wasnt for WWE sending him to OVW, he wouldnt be on a hire six figure contract in the biggest promotion in the world. So they totally made him a name.

So the matches he had with the likes of Raven, AJ Styles, Samoa Joe etc meant nothing, but the time he spent in OVW "learning to work" i swhat made him a star? Absolute arse I'm afraid...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
If it wasnt for WWE sending him to OVW, he wouldnt be on a hire six figure contract in the biggest promotion in the world. So they totally made him a name.

So the matches he had with the likes of Raven, AJ Styles, Samoa Joe etc meant nothing, but the time he spent in OVW "learning to work" i swhat made him a star? Absolute arse I'm afraid...

Did wrestling Raven, AJ Styles and Samoa Joe "make him a name"? Read what the question is before you start with your "five star match" shite.

Yeah Ill agree that interviewer sounded like a right twat & he annoyed me when he said that it was OVW that made CM Punk when it was IWA MS then ROH that made him not a few monthes fine tuneing his wrestling style in OVW.

Yeah Ill agree that interviewer sounded like a right twat & he annoyed me when he said that it was OVW that made CM Punk when it was IWA MS then ROH that made him not a few monthes fine tuneing his wrestling style in OVW.

Working for someone and "making someone" isnt the same thing. IWA Mid South and Ring of Honor werent anything but indy shows he worked on. If it wasnt for WWE sending him to OVW, he wouldnt be on a hire six figure contract in the biggest promotion in the world. So they totally made him a name.

He made his name in Ring of Honor to the point that someone in the WWE talent spotted him and signed him to a deal and then the WWE sent him to OVW to work the WWE style.

Is the WWE style better? Well thats a whole other argument but you can't dismiss his work on the indies, ,especially ROH which is a very high profiled indie as it got a guy who is far from the typical build of a WWE guy signed.

• Paid Members

That wasnt the question originally, though. And DDD's retort wasnt relevent to what my opinion of the original question was. I never said his matches in ROH werent any good. I was saying they meant nothing in the grand picture of him being at the point he is today. CM Punk gained a reputation as a worker and a character in a small time promotion. WWE hired him because Mick Foley (one of their biggest stars in recent years) recommended him, because Foley was pals with Sapolsky and did a few ROH shows. It wasnt because he was a name. It was because Foley thought he would be good for WWE. When they did hire him, they never sent him to hone his craft. They sent him because they didnt feel confident putting him on television wrestling the style he had been.

And CM Punk came up with the interviews. CM Punk worked the matches. CM Punk travelled to FWA, Europe, TNA and all those other Indy groups. ROH and IWA paid him money to perform. If anything, he made the shows he was on. Not the other way around. I was responding to someone saying Ian Rotten and Ring of Honor MADE CM Punk. Can anyone really believe that at all? The bloke is a star. My Dad knows who CM Punk is. He's a WWE Superstar. He's more at home on Raw than he ever was infront of 500 people. He's about as much of a Sports Entertainer as you can get.

That wasnt the question originally, though. And DDD's retort wasnt relevent to what my opinion of the original question was. CM Punk gained a reputation as a worker and a character in a small time promotion. WWE hired him because Mick Foley (one of their biggest stars in recent years) recommended him, because Foley was pals with Sapolsky and did a few ROH shows. It wasnt because he was a name. It was because Foley thought he would be good for WWE. When they did hire him, they never sent him to hone his craft. They sent him because they didnt feel confident putting him on television wrestling the style he had been.

And CM Punk came up with the interviews. CM Punk worked the matches. CM Punk travelled to FWA, Europe, TNA and all those other Indy groups. ROH and IWA paid him money to perform. If anything, he made the shows he was on. Not the other way around. I was responding to someone saying Ian Rotten and Ring of Honor MADE CM Punk. Can anyone really believe that at all? The bloke is a star. My Dad knows who CM Punk is. He's a WWE Superstar. He's more at home on Raw than he ever was infront of 500 people. He's about as much of a Sports Entertainer as you can get.

They certainly played a part in it. Punk started in Rotten's promotion and then moved on to ROH which is the biggest indie of them all, he had a great fued there with Raven which i bet got him the TNA gig and from there on his name spread and he got work like you say in FWA and Europe.

Why does it have to be all or nothing? He got there the old fashioned way. Worked his way up the indies and then got signed and his talent and other things got him through the WWE.

• Paid Members

The poster above said "IWA and ROH made CM Punk". Which they didnt. They gave him a platform to perform on. But that isnt making someone. Did Stampede Wrestling make Bret Hart? Did WCW make Steve Austin? They both made a good living and were much larger names than CM Punk was wrestling in ROH. But They both made their names in the WWF. Same with CM Punk. How many of those kids who bought his inflatable taped hands in 2008/09 knew he used to team with Scotty Goldman and had a feud with the fat bloke in from EV2.0? He earns a huge salary in the WWE and is on every PPV, every house show and has more merchandise on the shelves than almost anyone. This is because he's a highly marketable two-dimentional character, who looks different to everyone on TV and is world class on the microphone that the brain childs in Titan Towers who dont know there even is an Indpendent scene can exploit. Not because he had matches with Samoa Joe in 2004.

The poster above said "IWA and ROH made CM Punk". Which they didnt. They gave him a platform to perform on. But that isnt making someone. Did Stampede Wrestling make Bret Hart? Did WCW make Steve Austin? They both made a good living and were much larger names than CM Punk was wrestling in ROH. But They both made their names in the WWF. Same with CM Punk. Who many of those kids who bought his inflatable taped hands in 2008/09 knew he used to team with Scotty Goldman and had a feud with the fat bloke in from EV2.0?

The poster above is an ROH fanboy and your acting just as bad.

Punk was from a different age to the ones you listed and by the time he got to OVW was fairly well known amongst wrestling fans thanks to the ease in which indies can be seen compared to when bret was in Stampede and Austin was in World class. Did ROH or Rotten make Punk? No course they didn't but they certainly contributed to his success. If he hadn't gotten the exposure ROH especially gave him, Foley wouldn't have seen him and he might not have got signed.

There is more than one way to have a successful wrestling career, if he hadn't signed for Vince he might have gone to TNA, certainly enough of his former ROH peers have, he might have stayed in ROH and done tours of Japan or he might have gone to mexico. The point is his wrestling career didn't start with OVW and whilst Vince has made him far more money and given him far more exposure than before he was still on a fairly successful path in wrestling terms before he went there.

This argument is shit anyway so i'm backing out.

• Paid Members

And backing out at the best time spurs, as your above comments are 100% spot on and can't really be argued, unless it's For the sake of arguing.

Wwe 'made him' a mega rich star

The indies 'made him', as that's where he was noticed by wwe due to him incredible performances, simple as that really

• Paid Members
Punk was from a different age to the ones you listed and by the time he got to OVW was fairly well known amongst wrestling fans thanks to the ease in which indies can be seen compared to when bret was in Stampede and Austin was in World class. Did ROH or Rotten make Punk? No course they didn't but they certainly contributed to his success. If he hadn't gotten the exposure ROH especially gave him, Foley wouldn't have seen him and he might not have got signed.

Did I say they didnt contribute to his success? They gave him the stage to perform on. But they certainly never "made him", like Rotten or the other poster said. Foley also saw Samoa Joe, and WWE wanted nothing to do with him, so him wrestling for Ring of Honor wasnt a factor when it came to the hiring process.

There is more than one way to have a successful wrestling career, if he hadn't signed for Vince he might have gone to TNA, certainly enough of his former ROH peers have, he might have stayed in ROH and done tours of Japan or he might have gone to mexico. The point is his wrestling career didn't start with OVW and whilst Vince has made him far more money and given him far more exposure than before he was still on a fairly successful path in wrestling terms before he went there

CM Punk is a massive star in the business. WWE made him that massive star. They made him a household name. CM Punk had the talent. CM Punk had the ability. WWE had the machine to put him into the homes of millions of people around the world. There is no argument to that. He probably would have had a nice little career outside WWE. But his name as a superstar wrestling in todays current market is because he is an important part of the WWE roster.

The indies 'made him', as that's where he was noticed by wwe due to him incredible performances, simple as that really

Expect it isnt as simple as that is it. Otherwise opinions wouldnt vary on this subject.

I had first had experience of Ians cuntdom a few years back. He wanted to do his 'water bottle on a cane' spot and there wasn't a water bottle. I was there as a fan but as a favour I offered to 'acquire' some from my work place (basic stole them and legged it). When I get back he bitches and whines that there is a slight dribble of water (and I am talking barely a dribble) in the bottom and that kinda thing will cause an injury. No thanks for travelling to and effectively breaking in to my work and getting them for one bloody spot.

So, yeah, miserable arse.

• Paid Members
What is a "water bottle on a cane" spot, Rubba?. It doesn't sound that exciting.

Is it just not hitting people with a cane that has a water bottle on the end of it? It don't hurt that much but makes a nice noise.

Archived